Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 02:17 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
DFW will never be as expensive as Chicago, NYC, or DC because why would anyone even move here if they could live in the previously mentioned places for the same price?.
Weather
Dbags
Dbags

That's why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 02:20 PM

8 posts, read 8,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by octo View Post
I didn't move here because of cheap housing.
+1

Old 10-02-2016, 04:24 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,717,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Weather
Dbags
Dbags

That's why.
NYC and DC have great weather. Four distinct seasons and mostly mild winters and summers. Chicago has the same weather as DFW, just flipped around. Instead of terrible summers in DFW, you trade it for terrible winters in Chi-town.

There are Dbags everywhere, but larger cities like NYC and Chicago seem to have an abundance of them.

Old 10-02-2016, 04:33 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,309,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Right, but population size doesn't have anything to do with housing cost. Seattle and Detroit have metros with similar populations, yet one metro is triple (or more) the cost of the other. New Haven, CT is a lot smaller than Omaha, yet NH has a much higher cost of living.

DFW will never be as expensive as Chicago, NYC, or DC because why would anyone even move here if they could live in the previously mentioned places for the same price? The only reason people move here is because of the cheap housing.

Besides population, Omaha and DFW have a lot in common.
WRONG. People move here for economic prosperity, of which COL is only one component. Of greater importance is job opportunities, the ease of which one can start a business, available talent pool, lower than average total tax burdens, etc.

You're right in that Dallas and Omaha share some similarities, both being prairie cities that have no real reason for being. They aren't port cities or on major interior waterways, nor does either have any historical significance. The major difference between the two is the Dallas is roughly 40-50 years into a 100 year "boom" cycle. We have the 10th busiest airport in the world, if Wikipedia is correct, Omaha doesn't even offer 1 international route. We are home to 21 Fortune 500 HQ's; Omaha has 5. The leaders of Dallas-Forth Worth have strategically positioned our metro area as a major business hub across dozens of industries, and it's paying off now and will pay dividends decades into the future. More than 150,000 people are moving to DFW each year for one reason- the promise of economic prosperity. How many are moving to Omaha?

Last edited by TurtleCreek80; 10-02-2016 at 04:44 PM..

Old 10-02-2016, 05:04 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,717,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
WRONG. People move here for economic prosperity, of which COL is only one component. Of greater importance is job opportunities, the ease of which one can start a business, available talent pool, lower than average total tax burdens, etc.

You're right in that Dallas and Omaha share some similarities, both being prairie cities that have no real reason for being. They aren't port cities or on major interior waterways, nor does either have any historical significance. The major difference between the two is the Dallas is roughly 40-50 years into a 100 year "boom" cycle. We have the 10th busiest airport in the world, if Wikipedia is correct, Omaha doesn't even offer 1 international route. We are home to 21 Fortune 500 HQ's; Omaha has 5. The leaders of Dallas-Forth Worth have strategically positioned our metro area as a major business hub across dozens of industries, and it's paying off now and will pay dividends decades into the future. More than 150,000 people are moving to DFW each year for one reason- the promise of economic prosperity. How many are moving to Omaha?
I suppose I am in a unique situation because I work in higher education. As long as I have a job opportunity waiting for me, I couldn't care less what the job market is like. Why should I? I already have a job. So for me, there is little difference between Omaha and Dallas. In fact, having this booming job economy is doing some people a disservice. Because COL is increasing very rapidly, yet salaries remain fairly stagnant, many people are losing money. The only reason I moved here is because I found a job here. If I would have found a job in Albuquerque (random city I picked), I would have moved there too.

However, I do realize that job market matters a lot to some people, especially those who want to start their own business, or work in the corporate environment where competition is high.

After evaluating my situation, I realized I would be much better off in a college town, or a "little big city" like Omaha. My salary would be the same as here (maybe even more because the UT system is horribly underfunded), but the COL would be significantly lower, meaning I would have more spending power.

DFW is the perfect environment for someone 30+ who wants to work for a large company and have other opportunities waiting in case the current opportunity doesn't pan out.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:04 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times
The only reason people move here is because of the cheap housing.

That is obviously not accurate...maybe for people from very high COL who are in some specific job fields w/desireable hiring, but I think that companies are relocating here thinking it is a cheaper COL and advertise that to their employees who are being moved but it likely isn't going to be that much better for most companies/employees in practical applications.

Read any thread about transfers who come here thinking they are going to get 2700 sq ft new upscale build in great school district/location for 150-200K...
Not...

Old 10-02-2016, 08:31 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,380,719 times
Quote:
DFW is the perfect environment for someone 30+ who wants to work for a large company and have other opportunities waiting in case the current opportunity doesn't pan out.
And it's even better for people in their 20's. So why do you continue to denigrate DFW?

Old 10-02-2016, 09:36 PM

385 posts, read 489,285 times
Let's just say people don't move here for the arts, culture, diversity, lakes, etc.

The DFW area has more outdoor activities than most people think, though.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:52 PM

50 posts, read 80,027 times
I am here an immigrant and dont have bond with any location in usa. I can stay anywhere in usa.

But i love dallas because of the weather and i made so many friends because i have been here for many years.

In terms of job, i dont loose anything if i relocate any other place. Costly places i get high salary and vice versa.

I feel like this is the right time in my life to buy house. But when i look for houses, i feel dallas wages are not propositional to housing prices in last 2,3 years.

If this continues, i may move to other location and buy house. I would love to stay in dallas . But i dont want to spend +100k more on the house than it is actually worth.

Personally i feel prices will go down. But dont know when.

Old 10-03-2016, 06:21 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bringiton1 View Post
I am here an immigrant and dont have bond with any location in usa. I can stay anywhere in usa.

But i love dallas because of the weather and i made so many friends because i have been here for many years.

In terms of job, i dont loose anything if i relocate any other place. Costly places i get high salary and vice versa.

I feel like this is the right time in my life to buy house. But when i look for houses, i feel dallas wages are not propositional to housing prices in last 2,3 years.

If this continues, i may move to other location and buy house. I would love to stay in dallas . But i dont want to spend +100k more on the house than it is actually worth.

Personally i feel prices will go down. But dont know when.
Up to you; you can go ahead and wait for that to happen but if it does, it could be irrelevant because you may no longer have a job to make mortgage payments with, or prices after the crash will still be too "high" according to your unscientific analysis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas