Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 12:14 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,825 times

Advertisements

I don't understand the need for so many people on this thread to feel the need to trash one state in order to feel pride in their own. I can understand a reasonable list of pros and cons but what I'm seeing from many isn't that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 12:16 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
A lot of fair points, but this particular poster basically implied that if people in Texas had the means to afford Cali, they would all move in a heartbeat. Meaning people are living out a financial jail sentence in TX until they can afford "civilization" aka Cali. That doesn't sound snobbish to you? I'm sure many reacted to his/her post in a defensive manner because of that. There probably are some people living here as well as in many other states that would move to Cali in a heartbeat if money were no object. But that's not the case for everyone. I personally hate northern winters, having grown up in them. I'm sure many living there love winter and wouldn't move to Florida even if they could afford to. I'm not going to tell them they're in denial, that deep down they really hate winter and would rather be in Florida.
Isn't that the reason why people are flocking to DFW? Purely financial reasons... They can get a job, buy double the house for the same money in CA, and have a lower cost of living.

I really don't think anyone who enjoys San Francisco would move to Dallas for any reason but financial. They probably wouldn't leave San Francisco if the COL were the same as DFW.

Native Texans should be slightly PO'd that people are moving to their precious state out of desperation.

Old 04-07-2017, 12:20 PM

5,265 posts, read 6,405,851 times
Quote:
Native Texans, should be slightly PO'd that people are moving to their precious state out of desperation.
People originally moved to CA out of desperation due to the dust bowl. What's the difference in 2017? Texas can't make CA build more homes for people - but you can see the same CA attitude ("CA is full - middle class move somewhere else") popping up in TX. TX is just 30 years behind CA on that front.

The two states aren't nearly as different as people like to think.

Old 04-07-2017, 12:38 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,680,702 times
Things like this passing will certainly contribute to the reasons why CA residents are moving to the DFW area...

https://www.google.com/amp/www.latim...story,amp.html

Last edited by CREW747; 04-07-2017 at 01:36 PM..

Old 04-07-2017, 01:14 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,118,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Isn't that the reason why people are flocking to DFW? Purely financial reasons... They can get a job, buy double the house for the same money in CA, and have a lower cost of living.

I really don't think anyone who enjoys San Francisco would move to Dallas for any reason but financial. They probably wouldn't leave San Francisco if the COL were the same as DFW.

Native Texans should be slightly PO'd that people are moving to their precious state out of desperation.
Financial is usually the biggest reason why people move around to begin with. Others it can be for a variety of reasons and I'm sure DFW checked off enough boxes to carve out a good QOL other than just basics for some people. Everyone is going to be different and frame of reference is important. Sometimes if you're native to one place (even in places like San Fran) and spent decades there, maybe you want a change of scenery. It is indeed possible to grow up in the mountains or by the beach and not care about them after awhile.

Old 04-07-2017, 03:51 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,174,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasCrown View Post
The previous poster was responding to the posters we have on here who do nothing but complain and whine about living in TX.

He's right.

People who continually complain about being stuck in TX and hating it here DO need to leave. They come on CD and try to spread their misery around I suppose, usually by bashing Texas or Texans in general.

If things are so bad for these people, they should either take steps to leave, or stop whining about their lives here. I have no sympathy for people who refuse to change their lives and would just rather whine incessantly about it. If they spent half as much time as they do whining about living here, they could have found a job in another state, moved there, set up internet service, and had plenty of time to complain about their new state.

TX may not be for everybody, but I think most people complaining about living here would be complaining no matter where they lived. If they came from California for example, and they're disgruntled that they couldn't afford to live there anymore, my guess is that even if you doubled or tripled their salary so they could remain in California, they'd just resort to bitching about how much of their income is lost to taxes and how expensive CA is.
First, how do you know who the previous poster was responding to? That poster has a total of one post on City Data, and he didn't direct his post at anyone. His post said, and I'm quoting "If you don't like it here, go home." That is a far cry from "If you hate it so much here that you spend your entire day whining and bitching, a move might be in order."

There are lots of reasons a person might be tied to DFW, and many of them can outweigh any personal dislike a person has for a city. That doesn't mean they lose their right to complain. I can understand the idea that it isn't prudent for a person to live somewhere if it makes them miserable, but that isn't the same thing as saying "shut up or leave."

Old 04-07-2017, 07:55 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,090,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
I think a lot of people here have essentially said the opposite -- that they wouldn't live in Cali regardless of money. Is that also snobbish?

And I think the "financial jail sentence" talk is a bit over the top.
It is one thing to say something about yourself based on all you know about yourself. It is another to say something about an entire group (which you may or may not be a part of) without actual proof just to imply it is less desirable to everyone.

1) I would never live in Maine, even though I have the money to.
2) Everyone who lives in Maine only does so because he/she cannot afford to live elsewhere.

Perhaps you disagree, but I think the second is much snobbier than the first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhornsf View Post
I will give my honest perspective having lived in both. I am from Houston, lived in San Diego and San Francisco for a while, and am now in Dallas for work. There are a few angles to it so I’ll try to break it up.

Culture
It is true that Texans are, at least outwardly, more friendly and polite. People will say “sir” and "ma'am", hold the door for you, take off their hat in buildings, etc. On the flip side, it is still sadly common to hear openly racist and homophobic remarks. I also hear a lot of bigoted remarks about Muslims too. I think it would be difficult to be openly gay or Muslim here. After spending so long in California, I was really disappointed to see this type of attitude still prevalent in Texas. Obviously, not all Texans are racists and bigots, but it is still widespread especially outside the major cities.

In general, I sense a lot of insecurity in Texans. Look at this board as an example: you see lots of people bashing California, constantly try to prove how Texas is better than XYZ state, etc. Certain posters on here make a career of it, in fact I’m sure they will reply to my post shortly. When I lived in CA, I rarely heard Californians talk down about other states. They’re happy living in CA and don’t have a chip on their shoulder.
About the second part, several flaws.

One, you are on the internet where people talk down everything. Yes, this board has a lot of Texans talking down California, but you also have a lot of Californians talking down Texas. Thing is, there is a larger California-Texas rivalry which, like all others, get amplified online. By this point, a lot of Californians online have had their beloved state be talked down by Texans, among others, and a lot of Texans online have had their beloved state be talked down by Californians, among others. Who knows who on what side started it? What matters is that, now, there are some Californians and some Texans online who already feel "provoked" and will bash the other state as if in an ongoing war that just continues forever. Sad, but true.

Two, I laugh at the idea that people in California don't talk about Texas. I honestly do thing "RL" Texans talk too much about California, but it mostly had to do with the drought and with a sense of sympathy, not trashing. Regardless, people in California are just as obsessed with Texas. Even before I would ever tell people I am from Texas, I would hear people unaware of my origin randomly bring up the state, talking about how much they hate it, or "those silly rednecks." And this isn't in just the rural areas traditionally stereotyped to be intolerant (though, to be fair, I rarely spend any time in rural California), it was in the large cities, namely LA, San Diego, and San Francisco & San Mateo County. In Texas, I hear someone else bring up California maybe once a month, and it is almost always either about a vacation there or a person formerly living there. In California (and I've taken many trips to California, each lasting over a month, in my short life), I hear some stranger, or new acquaintance unaware of my connection to Texas (I'm not counting people, friends and family, who know I am from Texas, because obviously Texas comes up a little when we talk first), mention Texas at least once a week, almost always negatively or stereotypically.

Thing is, that isn't even limited to California. I've noticed that Texas also comes up a lot in Oklahoma and Louisiana (but, you know, they are neighbors, the reverse is also true) and, for whatever reason, the Northeast (thinking Pennsylvania up/left)

Old 04-11-2017, 09:59 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,572,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarCoaster View Post
1) I'm Christian. Nobody in California believes in a God.
2) I'm Conservative. Nobody in California is Conservative until the age of 50.
3) I was kicked out of a rental I had with three friends so the owner could take it back, spend 2 days 'updating' it, then flip it for 1.1M cash in 4 days. It was 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 1,800 square feet, built in 1971.
4) I honestly can't think of one thing that California has that Dallas doesn't, other than good sushi.
1) You're wrong.
2) You're very wrong.
3) They do that here too, especially now.
4) There's a reason why people vacation in California, and want to live there.

Old 04-11-2017, 10:18 AM

35 posts, read 42,183 times
Funny, California residents seem to be invading Colorado at lightening speed too and making it a mini overpriced California. Forcing a lot of us out.

Old 04-11-2017, 11:35 AM

19,797 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarCoaster View Post
1) I'm Christian. Nobody in California believes in a God.
2) I'm Conservative. Nobody in California is Conservative until the age of 50.
3) I was kicked out of a rental I had with three friends so the owner could take it back, spend 2 days 'updating' it, then flip it for 1.1M cash in 4 days. It was 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 1,800 square feet, built in 1971.
4) I honestly can't think of one thing that California has that Dallas doesn't, other than good sushi.
Just a pro-tip on sushi, I lived in Japan for a little while and became a cold unfiltered rice sake and sushi addict.
In The USA virtually all restaurant sushi sold legally must be deeply frozen before human consumption the only normal exception is Uni (sea urchin - the gonads believe it not and Uni is absolutely phenomenal to eat). Most Uni eaten in this part of the world come from off San Diego so that is one item that may be better in CA than anywhere else. Virtually all tuna is immediately frozen on the boat for example.

All that to say with 1 normal exception other than prep and presentation and cut there's more or less no difference between sushi in LA, Little Rock or Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas