Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 09:38 PM

42 posts, read 182,832 times

Advertisements

where to move. Im 24 and just got a huge promotion. Im currently in Huntington Beach, CA a block from the beach and the main st (bar life). I love it here, but its my dream job and the pay is too incredible to turn down. My Texas office is in Grand Praire.

Being young and single im looking for a good area with lots to do and an awesome night life. I have heard alot about uptown and downtown dallas. i would like to live within 25 miles of work. Looking to rent a loft or an apartment for the first 6 months to see areas of interest.

Anyone have any advice? I will be up there March 10-16th, looking around and finalizing the deal.

Please Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 09:48 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Yes, Uptown and that general area would be more of what you sound like your looking for. Now, what general area of Grand Prarie is the job so that we don't direct you TOO far from it in the Dallas area? You are NOT going to want to live in Grand Prarie according to your current lifestyle. More of a family type place than a singles crowd.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:48 PM

473 posts, read 1,568,726 times
It sounds like Uptown would be a good fit for you. Bars, restaurants, shopping, trails, parks, you name it. Also you are a short drive to Lower Greenville which has more bars. You would be right at 25 to 30 minutes on your commute. Some mornings could be a touch longer, but that would not be the norm. Mockingbird Station may also work for you but that would increase your commute by 5 or 10 minutes.

As far as downtown, it continues to get better, but most people that I know that live downtown usually spend most of their nightlife in Uptown, Oaklawn, Knox/Henderson, and Lower Greenville.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:05 PM

Not being familiar with the area, I checked on yahoo maps Looks to be around the 360 & W.N Carrier Pkwy cross streets.... I plan to buy a house within the first year, so I will be looking in the mean time. Just want to have some fun and meet people.

Thanks for the help and advice...keep it coming!

Old 03-06-2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notalent View Post
Not being familiar with the area, I checked on yahoo maps Looks to be around the 360 & W.N Carrier Pkwy cross streets.... I plan to buy a house within the first year, so I will be looking in the mean time. Just want to have some fun and meet people.

Thanks for the help and advice...keep it coming!
That won't be too bad of a commute from the Uptown area. At least you will be going against MOST of the traffic for the good bit of your commute. I-30 out of Dallas going West then 360 and go North for a bit. Now if 360 is a jam which it OFTEN is you can get off of I-30 before you get to 360 and cut thru to Carrier Pkwy which is a VERY GOOD THING!

Old 03-06-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
That won't be too bad of a commute from the Uptown area. At least you will be going against MOST of the traffic for the good bit of your commute. I-30 out of Dallas going West then 360 and go North for a bit. Now if 360 is a jam which it OFTEN is you can get off of I-30 before you get to 360 and cut thru to Carrier Pkwy which is a VERY GOOD THING!
I also ride a street bike sometimes....is this a problem in Dallas??? Its a nightmare here in CA...but it lets me get to work quicker

Old 03-06-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notalent View Post
I also ride a street bike sometimes....is this a problem in Dallas??? Its a nightmare here in CA...but it lets me get to work quicker
Motorcycle? There are plenty around but just becareful of the idiots that don't see you. I would not ride one on the roads and highways in bad weather at all. And CHECK THE ENTIRE DAYS WEATHER BEFORE LEAVING! It can be AWESOME in the am and be HORID by afternoon.

I would NOT ride a bicycle for THAT commute

Old 03-07-2008, 05:07 AM

11,856 posts, read 26,881,949 times
You might also look into parts of Arlington near UTA. There are lots of singles who live in Arlington and enjoy it. Honestly, your commute from Uptown to GP might be pretty lengthy since I-30 is currently being reconstructed...

Old 03-07-2008, 08:22 AM

6,822 posts, read 14,034,515 times
The saving grace traveling from Uptown to Grand Praire is that she would be going againist the heavy traffic to work. For that lifestyle uptown would be perfect. I would not ride a bike on Dallas freeways under any conditions but thats just me.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:34 AM

Im not worried about the motorcyle riding unless its bad weather... I race them so im very expierienced and the Los Angeles Freeways cant be any worse haha...

Are there any particular apartments or lofts you all can recommend?? In the Arlington or Uptown areas.... Im looking to spend up to $1200 a month. I keep looking online, but everyone wants you to sign up!!!!

Is the weather change on a daily basis, throughout the day reguraly??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas