Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 11:15 PM

32 posts, read 136,063 times

Advertisements

So, I'm planning a move to the DFW area and my work is in Duncanville. My roommate and I are moving from Grand Rapids, Michigan (thank god, finally!) and are two late 20's single, straight males ready to make a change, the bad economy/cold weather/poor morale is getting old. What is the Duncanville and surrounding areas like? I just graduated from college with a degree in International Relations but probably will just transfer to the Costco in Duncanville (I work at a Costco here) until I can get into a career job. I figure it will be easier to get a job if I am there a lot easier then wishing I was there and not being able to really do as much searching.

Anyway, any information any and all can give me would be great. I'm a pretty positive guy and I'm not afraid of hearing the worst, so fire away. I read some posts where people think the DFW area is the best and also the worst in the world, but generally I hear positives and thats what i'll cling to. I guess I can hear what I want to hear (and in this case I'm hoping for positive DFW reviews, haha) THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 11:46 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,254,649 times
Duncanville is pretty nice but there isn't anything to do there, it really is a bedroom community. You may want to consider living in Dallas, uptown area and commute about 25 minutes to the Costco in Duncanville.

Naima

Old 02-14-2008, 06:11 AM

1,533 posts, read 7,239,247 times
It seemed to peak in the 70's/80's and then this whole mindset took over that the southern sector was inferior. It's a pretty quiet place, typical suburb, but I have a feeling it may be gaining its second wind.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:19 AM

1,637 posts, read 4,104,736 times
Duncanville is a suburb located southwest of Dallas. It is located near major roads and only a short drive from entertainment in Dallas, Arlington, etc. The average price for homes and rental properties is generally lower than other parts of the Dallas area, but there are some exceptions. In addition to Duncanville, you may want to look into Cedar Hill. The Costco store is located near the border of the two cities. Cedar Hill is larger than Duncanville, so there are more housing choices. The city has developed into a retail/shopping hub in the past few years and a new, open-air mall is scheduled to open next month.

While people moving to the Dallas area from out of state frequently overlook the suburbs of southwest Dallas County, these communities are nice places to live overall.

Welcome to Texas!

Old 02-14-2008, 09:54 AM

What exactly constitutes the uptown area? I've seen references to it but what are the specific areas? (streets, highways, etc?)

Also i'm hoping that there are some good jazz clubs/nightclubs in the Dallas area? I know as a big sports fan I won't have to look very far for sporting events!

Old 02-14-2008, 10:09 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readytojet! View Post
What exactly constitutes the uptown area? I've seen references to it but what are the specific areas? (streets, highways, etc?)

Also i'm hoping that there are some good jazz clubs/nightclubs in the Dallas area? I know as a big sports fan I won't have to look very far for sporting events!
Then you will want to be near Uptown or Victory Park. Victory Park/Plaza is where the American Airlines Center is located (home of the Dallas Stars and Dallas Mavericks). These areas are just north of downtown. You would be w/in walking distance of clubs and restaurants. MUCH more single friendly than the suburbs.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:09 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,654,710 times
I lived in Duncanville from 1999 to the end of 2002. Being that you are 2 single guys, I would not move there. Most of the people that live in Duncanville are couples who have grown children... I knew more older people that side of town.

Same for Cedar Hill, I wouldn't live there too. We were in Cedar Hill from 1993-1999. There isn't going to be much of a singles scene. I agree with Mom on Uptown and Victory Park area. The singles I know live in the city, not the burbs. Also Addison is a good area for singles to live.

Now I want to address the issue of jobs. I think it's fine that you want to transfer with Costco but jmo, put out some resumes out there and see what happens. You might not need to transfer if you start trying to reel in a job. Just food for thought.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:00 PM

6,819 posts, read 14,029,650 times
Gotta agree with whats been said already. Duncanville is a nice sleepy burb but its not for singles. You will be a pretty good piece from any of the nightlife scenes. Its not a place I would pick if I where single.

Reggie

Old 02-14-2008, 09:54 PM

thanks for the input, much appreciated. I am looking more towards downtown area and commuting out if i have to. what is the average travel time for most commuters? also, does anyone have any names of some good apartments with reasonable costs near downtown? south or north?

Old 02-14-2008, 11:47 PM

6,819 posts, read 14,029,650 times
Just know in advance that there is nothing going on in downtown after about 6 pm. There is a fairly new complex on the north end of Downtown but the name escapes me. I commute everyday Downtown and my bus passes by the complex everyday. I will get the name for you tommorrow and post it. I have no idea what the price is but once I provide the name you should be able to give them a call. The vast majority of traffic will be coming toward town while you would be traveling the other direction. A commute from Downtown to Duncanville would be about 30 minutes. I would strongly suggest you do some scouting around before putting down a deposit on a place. You may also want to consider Cedar Hill. There are some nice apartments there and a one bedroom apt would run you about $700 month. My guess is that a 2 bedroom will run you $150-200 more. Good luck on the move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas