Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2017, 11:45 AM

455 posts, read 578,681 times

Advertisements

Always thought the buying home seasons in Dallas was weird. Over here on the West cost they move fast all year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 01:54 PM

1,591 posts, read 2,408,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker1234 View Post
Always thought the buying home seasons in Dallas was weird. Over here on the West cost they move fast all year.

This area is ALL about finding the perfect school for offspring so homes follow the school calendar. The households I personally know along the West coast are living the dink life so they buy/sell as they please and have pretty yards throughout winter.

Old 09-14-2017, 02:15 PM

5,265 posts, read 6,405,851 times
Quote:
There are home buying seasons all across the US, just like there is job growth seasonality and auto buying seasonality. There's not much different about Dallas in this regard, except that it might be slightly more pronounced because Dallas builds more housing than the west coast does, and thus more competition for limited resources out west.

It's actually more dramatic in places where the winter season precludes people from buying houses due to bad curb appeal and mountains of snow.

Old 09-14-2017, 02:28 PM

17 posts, read 20,437 times
Personally this market is depressing me as a first time buyer. We started looking 2-3 years ago right before the houses took off and seeing less nice home with less to no upgrades for $350 plus when they could be had for as little as $250 when we started looking just makes it hard to pull the trigger. The lack of inventory makes it worse. I have found it hard to find a good realtor. They basically just set up house searches that don't even always my requirements in the search. All I can guess is they are selling so many they don't really care.

Old 09-14-2017, 02:35 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runeblade48 View Post
Personally this market is depressing me as a first time buyer. We started looking 2-3 years ago right before the houses took off and seeing less nice home with less to no upgrades for $350 plus when they could be had for as little as $250 when we started looking just makes it hard to pull the trigger. The lack of inventory makes it worse. I have found it hard to find a good realtor. They basically just set up house searches that don't even always my requirements in the search. All I can guess is they are selling so many they don't really care.
When I bought 8 years ago, I found the house myself. My realtor was invaluable, though, in helping guide me through the buying process itself.

Old 09-14-2017, 02:44 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,113,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
When I bought 8 years ago, I found the house myself. My realtor was invaluable, though, in helping guide me through the buying process itself.

+1

That has generally been my experience as well.

Old 09-14-2017, 03:02 PM

964 posts, read 877,703 times
Never used a realtor to buy other than to write up paperwork and give me back 2%. Always found the house, made the listing agent show me house, decided what offer to make, find realtor to give me 2% back, write up offer, and close.

Old 09-14-2017, 03:05 PM

989 posts, read 2,442,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyam11 View Post
Never used a realtor to buy other than to write up paperwork and give me back 2%. Always found the house, made the listing agent show me house, decided what offer to make, find realtor to give me 2% back, write up offer, and close.
I'm curious how you pitched that offer to the realtor you chose and what the responses were you got. Were they offended/insulted or were they eager to jump on the opportunity?

Old 09-14-2017, 03:28 PM

964 posts, read 877,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
I'm curious how you pitched that offer to the realtor you chose and what the responses were you got. Were they offended/insulted or were they eager to jump on the opportunity?
I start with the listing agent. Usually they accept it since they get an extra 1% (4% instead of 3%). On the off chance they say no I call around and find a realtor that will do it. Takes usually no more than 3 calls since I explain I already have seen the property, know what the offer is, and just need them to write it up.

Some were not willing to do it. Not sure if they were offended or insulted. From a $ per hour standpoint it would be the easiest money they could make.

Last home I did (current house) we used the listing agent. He wrote a check back to us for about $20,000 or the title company did.

Offer made on Monday, closed on Friday. He spent maybe 1 hour total. Closing was 3 pages long and took about 120 seconds.

Old 09-14-2017, 03:58 PM

989 posts, read 2,442,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyam11 View Post
I start with the listing agent. Usually they accept it since they get an extra 1% (4% instead of 3%). On the off chance they say no I call around and find a realtor that will do it. Takes usually no more than 3 calls since I explain I already have seen the property, know what the offer is, and just need them to write it up.

Some were not willing to do it. Not sure if they were offended or insulted. From a $ per hour standpoint it would be the easiest money they could make.

Last home I did (current house) we used the listing agent. He wrote a check back to us for about $20,000 or the title company did.

Offer made on Monday, closed on Friday. He spent maybe 1 hour total. Closing was 3 pages long and took about 120 seconds.

Interesting...do they have an ethical obligation to let the seller know they are giving 2% of their commission that they are getting paid to you, the buyer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas