Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 10:53 AM

1,868 posts, read 5,687,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
It was one of the items that was forbid from being sold on Sunday's because of the Texas Blue Laws. Yes, some aisles in the grocery stores would be roped off or the shelf in particular w/ certain items would be covered. It never really bothered us and I guess growing up w/ it you got used to it. You just got all of your shopping done during the week. The retailers are the ones that really pushed to abolish the Blue Laws because of the holiday shopping they thought they were missing out on. Actually they never really made any more money/profit by being open another day as people just waited to shop on Sunday instead of Saturday. For the longest Sunday's were always VERY slow at the malls because everyone was used to getting their shopping done on other days.

I was always blown away as a kid when we were on vacation in other states and the stores (department, drug, malls, etc) were open on Sundays. WOW!!!!!!!!!!! Then we got rid of our Blue Laws, but w/ restrictions. The malls/department stores and such did not open till noon and closed at 6. Then I soon went to work in retail - YUCK!!!!!!!
Imagine my surprise when I moved here from California 7 years ago and thought I could go to the grocery store to get tequila to make margheritas....wrong!! I guess were just a bunch of heathens in Cali!! lol I still think it's funny you can't buy alcohol until noon on Sunday out here!! What are they trying to save us from????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2006, 02:34 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,433,468 times
Well in California you still can't buy alcohol after 2am. Not sure when it starts in the morning as I have never had or wanted to that early in the day.

Old 12-09-2006, 10:48 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,687,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guingirl View Post
Well in California you still can't buy alcohol after 2am. Not sure when it starts in the morning as I have never had or wanted to that early in the day.
lol...I'm talking about buying it from a store....not a bar!! And no, I wouldn't drink that early either..... (in fact I probably drink 3 times a year) but I might want to buy it when I'm out shopping at that moment instead of going back out again.

Old 12-09-2006, 11:31 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,433,468 times
Can't buy it in a grocery store either. We used to have them open 24 hours here and they just wouldn't sell it to you after either. Shannon, Im the same way. I don't drink very much either.

I guess I was just thrown for a loop that pantyhose would be on the list for Blue Laws. Let me tell ya...I would outlaw those things!! I hate wearing pantyhose!!

Old 01-06-2007, 11:29 PM

1 posts, read 4,689 times
There are a lot of good places to buy wine. Some supermarkets now have good selections (though you have to drive to Rowlett for that because Rockwall is a dry county). There's a new WineStyles in Rowlett that has wine tastings once a week, and Rockwall has a winery(!) A local web site, PlanetRockwall.com, has just started a wine page, and has the link for WineStyles. Having lived in California for many years I too was concerned about the availability of (good) wines -- I've been here two years now and I'm not going thirsty :-) Remember: "Life is too short to drink bad wine."

Old 04-04-2007, 05:04 PM

633 posts, read 2,543,999 times
Ok, I'm lost with all the dry/wet counties. Can someone tell me what counties are dry/wet in the North Dallas area?

Also, from what I've read, you can buy beer/wine in the groc stores, but not say, Jack Daniels?

Old 04-04-2007, 05:18 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,938,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawksweetie View Post
Ok, I'm lost with all the dry/wet counties. Can someone tell me what counties are dry/wet in the North Dallas area?

Also, from what I've read, you can buy beer/wine in the groc stores, but not say, Jack Daniels?
Yes, in areas that are "wet" you can buy beer/wine in the stores but no hard liquor.

Texas does not go by wet or dry counties. They follow different jurisdiction lines and not always county lines. For instance you can have a city that sits in two counties and you can buy beer/wine on both sides. In real rural counties it is but not in areas like the D/FW metroplex. If you want to buy beer/wine in the stores then you can find a city or town that has approved it. Some of the most recent are Garland and Rowlett. Never really was a big deal to me since I grew up w/ it but it is kind of nice to pick up beer to restock the fridge after the guys have cleaned it out . If you want liquor you have to find areas that allow those sales. Even in the city limits of Dallas while they have liquor stores they are not allowed in every part of the city as they have been zoned to certain areas (I30, Stemmons at Walnut Hill, downtown, etc). The city of Richardson annexed the town of Buckingham that was a small dot that allowed beer/wine & liquor sales. So if you hear someone refering to "go to Buckingham to get _____" that is what they are talking about. Then there is Mobile City out east of Rockwall located right on I30. It was incorporated by a small group of people in an area for the sole purpose to sell beer/wine and liquor.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:06 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,211,984 times
Two very charming, independent places in our area:

http://www.thewinetherapist.com/

http://timestencellars.com/

Friendly people, great interaction and oenophiles mix with neophytes

Old 04-05-2007, 04:09 PM

633 posts, read 2,543,999 times
Thanks, for the info.

LOL, I'll be the one driving around in circles at 10pm at night searching for the nearest place that sells beer or a bottle of JD.

This is gonna be fun

Old 04-05-2007, 04:20 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,211,984 times
You gotta buy your JD before 9 pm!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas