Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 08:38 PM

3 posts, read 3,691 times

Advertisements

Is it true that in the last 4 years, TAG/SEM magnet schools haven't enrolled a single out of district student?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 08:49 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,113,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasemi2010 View Post
Is it true that in the last 4 years, TAG/SEM magnet schools haven't enrolled a single out of district student?
They shouldn't ever, but no that doesn't appear to be true:

https://lakewood.advocatemag.com/201...agnet-schools/

Old 11-16-2017, 10:06 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,747,540 times
I have a neighbor in Collin Co with a daughter at Booker T. They rent an in district apartment with three other out of district families. So technically they are in district. But by the letter not the spirit.

Old 11-17-2017, 02:55 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
I have a neighbor in Collin Co with a daughter at Booker T. They rent an in district apartment with three other out of district families. So technically they are in district. But by the letter not the spirit.
So wrong.

Old 11-17-2017, 06:05 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,636,065 times
I don't know all the numbers but I have a friend in Carrolton with a senior at Booker T. No address-massaging that I am aware of .

Old 11-17-2017, 06:07 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,636,065 times
Quote:
I wonder why you are asking. IMO, the Dallas Magnets are for Dallas students that live in the district. I can't send my kid to suburb-HS just because I want to so why should non-district kids be allowed in the DISD magnets? (I may be wrong but the tone of your message seems like you are thinking out of district students SHOULD be enrolled)

Old 11-17-2017, 06:40 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
There are plenty of capable and deserving students in DISD itself to fill every spot in every DISD magnet school. Out-of-district students shouldn't even be considered for a place IMHO.

Old 11-17-2017, 07:21 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,175,469 times
Dallas ISD turns a blind eye because they get additional state dollars for out of of district kids and usually these kids have better academic foundation so they artificially inflate Dallas ISD’s academic performance data. They don’t have many discipline issues either.

Students get the unfair advantage of looking smarter among city peers and get to use poor inner city kid label for college admission purpose. They won’t look half as good if they applied from affluent and competitive private or suburban schools.

Old 11-17-2017, 07:34 AM

1,429 posts, read 1,778,433 times
Quote:
Every magnet school in Dallas has some. Some of the schools are well over 10-20% out of district. And those are just the out of district students the district knows about. There are plenty of low lifes lying about address to use magnet program.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:00 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,113,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
Dallas ISD turns a blind eye because they get additional state dollars for out of of district kids and usually these kids have better academic foundation so they artificially inflate Dallas ISD’s academic performance data. They don’t have many discipline issues either.

Students get the unfair advantage of looking smarter among city peers and get to use poor inner city kid label for college admission purpose. They won’t look half as good if they applied from affluent and competitive private or suburban schools.
This post is disgusting.

A kid attending TAG/SEM or Booker T. doesn't get to use the poor inner city kid label unless it is deserved. Their family income will determine that and it doesn't matter if they come from a 7 figure income in North Dallas, a $400k family income in Lakewood, or a $100k income in Plano. They wont' be considered low income when it comes to admissions.

I think you honestly have never even been to Dallas.

The fact is, there are Collin County families committing fraud in order to get their children into schools that are more well regarded than what they have access to within their home district.

The one item you are correct on is that DISD gets funds based on enrollment, like all districts, and as a result they turn a blind eye to this situation. Lots of mismanagement at the administrative level within DISD and this is one of many symptoms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas