Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 02:32 AM

509 posts, read 1,263,400 times

Advertisements

Here I am at 3:30am not being able to sleep because I am so worried about the status of our pool construction. Before the plastering was done, which was yesterday, there has been quite a bit of seepage on the wall of the pool. There has also been white looking spots. So now, even after the plastering, there is still water seeping through. I DO NOT feel comfortable in letting them finish up (acid and fill pool) which they are supposed to do today. Has anyone experienced this with the construction of their pool? What did ya'll do? Thank you for any advice!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 04:54 AM

413 posts, read 302,431 times
Does your county or city require permits? I would be sure I had them pulled. I would stop them and ask questions if your are not comfortable. You must be in contact with a representative of the company right? This is a big deal!

Old 10-27-2017, 05:53 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,184,674 times
Talk to the city inspector or hire a private inspector.

Old 10-27-2017, 06:07 AM

40,956 posts, read 49,266,920 times
Why does your pool have water in it while it's being built? And how do you know it's leaking?

There are pool inspectors that can test for leaks. Get one before you make the final payment. You've not paid 100% for the pool have you?

Old 10-27-2017, 06:58 AM

509 posts, read 1,263,400 times
I already got in touch with the person who schedules each phase. As the construction happened I have been in constant contact with her. I already emailed her and told her that I do not want to finish up just yet until I get a pool inspector.
I also already called our city inspector but he was really apologetic because he is not familiar if it is a real problem or not. The other inspector is out until Monday.
The seeping of underground water is common but what concerns me is the seeping of water on the walls. We even turned off our sprinklers to get the spots on the wall dry. As they were plastering yesterday they even used a big fire gun to set or dry the plaster.
Thank you for responding guys. I have to be happy with this cause it is not cheap and yes, I have paid them 100% already.

Old 10-27-2017, 07:13 AM

19,883 posts, read 18,165,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moorhen3 View Post
Here I am at 3:30am not being able to sleep because I am so worried about the status of our pool construction. Before the plastering was done, which was yesterday, there has been quite a bit of seepage on the wall of the pool. There has also been white looking spots. So now, even after the plastering, there is still water seeping through. I DO NOT feel comfortable in letting them finish up (acid and fill pool) which they are supposed to do today. Has anyone experienced this with the construction of their pool? What did ya'll do? Thank you for any advice!!
Relax.........nothing going on here is going to shorten your life except stressing.

Are you using real plaster or say Diamond Brite and what color(s)?

1). If they plastered yesterday - you must fill today. I'm surprised they didn't ask you to begin filing last night/yesterday.
Get that sucker filled for a few reasons.
1. Your plaster will not cure properly otherwise - add acid when they say or make them do it.
2. You don't want fall leaves and bird droppings on new plaster - they can and often will stain. Ask your pool people about carefully washing any leaves/droppings down into rising water as the pool fills. Your plaster will be VERY soft and stain prone for a while - especially white traditional plaster.
3. Do what you can to fill the pool quickly - multiple hoses from different bibs etc. Cover each hose end with a sock or whatever your pool people recommend.
4. Further, you need hydrostatic pressure from the water on your plaster.

2). Gunite, the concrete looking stuff your pool is shell is made of, is not water tight, water will wick through and in some cases more or less run through the stuff. I've had 4 pools built over the years. The gunite had seepage every time. Was the seepage or some of it coming from pipe inlets/returns etc? If so don't worry about any of that.

2.1.). Plaster once cured is roughly 100% water tight. Plaster should, and in almost every cases does, stop the seepage through gunite and of course it keeps pool water in.

Get on the horn with the pool people right now and find out why they didn't ask you to fill yesterday.

*If you had water seeping through holes (probably 2 or 3 holes about 4 inches across) that were in the bottom of the pool that were filled in during plaster don't worry about that either unless was was flowing at a high rate or if it filled the pool more than say 10%. If you had water coming through those holes that's even more reason to fill your pool ASAP.

*Speed post sorry for the typos.

Old 10-27-2017, 07:19 AM

19,883 posts, read 18,165,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moorhen3 View Post
I already got in touch with the person who schedules each phase. As the construction happened I have been in constant contact with her. I already emailed her and told her that I do not want to finish up just yet until I get a pool inspector.
I also already called our city inspector but he was really apologetic because he is not familiar if it is a real problem or not. The other inspector is out until Monday.
The seeping of underground water is common but what concerns me is the seeping of water on the walls. We even turned off our sprinklers to get the spots on the wall dry. As they were plastering yesterday they even used a big fire gun to set or dry the plaster.
Thank you for responding guys. I have to be happy with this cause it is not cheap and yes, I have paid them 100% already.
OK so water was seeping through the gunite walls? How much? Clearly enough that you could see it.......was it collecting in the pool bottom? If so how much?

Using a weed killer torch or similar to dry gunite is normal.

IMO waiting on an inspector to fill the pool is a huge mistake. Call the contractor back and talk to someone about why your aren't filling right now.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:06 AM

9 posts, read 15,938 times
Good info above.

Can you PM me who did your pool? I am curious.

Also, can you post a picture of your pool?

I would reach out to your Pool Builder Construction Manager and voice your concern. IF it was plastered, then the filling should begin. If it was gunited, then its totally different.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:42 AM

40,956 posts, read 49,266,920 times
The barn door is already open but a lesson to be learned is never pay the Contractor 100% before the job is finished. There should have been a 20-25% holdback paid when completed.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:04 AM

625 posts, read 1,958,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Relax.........nothing going on here is going to shorten your life except stressing.

Are you using real plaster or say Diamond Brite and what color(s)?

1). If they plastered yesterday - you must fill today. I'm surprised they didn't ask you to begin filing last night/yesterday.
Get that sucker filled for a few reasons.
1. Your plaster will not cure properly otherwise - add acid when they say or make them do it.
2. You don't want fall leaves and bird droppings on new plaster - they can and often will stain. Ask your pool people about carefully washing any leaves/droppings down into rising water as the pool fills. Your plaster will be VERY soft and stain prone for a while - especially white traditional plaster.
3. Do what you can to fill the pool quickly - multiple hoses from different bibs etc. Cover each hose end with a sock or whatever your pool people recommend.
4. Further, you need hydrostatic pressure from the water on your plaster.

2). Gunite, the concrete looking stuff your pool is shell is made of, is not water tight, water will wick through and in some cases more or less run through the stuff. I've had 4 pools built over the years. The gunite had seepage every time. Was the seepage or some of it coming from pipe inlets/returns etc? If so don't worry about any of that.

2.1.). Plaster once cured is roughly 100% water tight. Plaster should, and in almost every cases does, stop the seepage through gunite and of course it keeps pool water in.

Get on the horn with the pool people right now and find out why they didn't ask you to fill yesterday.

*If you had water seeping through holes (probably 2 or 3 holes about 4 inches across) that were in the bottom of the pool that were filled in during plaster don't worry about that either unless was was flowing at a high rate or if it filled the pool more than say 10%. If you had water coming through those holes that's even more reason to fill your pool ASAP.

*Speed post sorry for the typos.
Man, who knew that you had this hidden wealth of pool knowledge!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: