Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 11:56 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,114,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWUser1 View Post
The reasons to choose Allen over other towns, at least in our and few others case: Some of the following are unique.

(1) To be closer to Plano Legacy/DNT area but prefer/enjoy a new house in the beginning. Which is almost not possible in West Plano. And West Plano is expensive (for obvious known reasons) than a comparable home in Allen. So, good value for money without much compromise.

(2) Allen, West Allen in particular is much clean, neat and better than most of the affordable East and Central Plano locations. Twin Creeks/121/Exchange Parkway/Montgomery Farms areas are one of the very few areas with lots of mature trees you can find in this region.

(3) West Allen, the area between intersection of 121 and 75 is one of the strategic locations. You can be close to both Plano & Richardson - two of the biggest job centers in DFW region. Provides easy highway access to both 75 & 121. Can't say this about all other areas near by.

(4) Highly rated elementary and middle schools. High school is individual choice - we like the big size environment with all options available to better prepare for real world. That is each individual preference though.

(5) Small town feel (compared to surrounding towns), very safe, good city services, nationally recognized park systems, whole town connected with walking trails, quick and easy access to Shopping & Restaurants at Upscale Watters Creek, Village at Allen, Stonebriar and all other things that Collin County has to offer.

There is a reason why it consistently ranks, comes up in many rankings along with some of the other nice neighboring towns. I am not here to debate which town is great or bad - but above are FACTS that we and most other people consider for choosing Allen.

This seems like a bit much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 12:58 PM

427 posts, read 494,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NP78 View Post
This seems like a bit much.
Why? Each of those details are FACTS and let me know if anything is incorrect. I may have repeated few in other posts, listed again as reasons for choosing Allen came into discussion. Those are some of the factors I assume anyone would consider in their home buying decisions. It's a combination of various elements that needs to be evaluated.

Old 05-11-2018, 01:05 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,244,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I still maintain you cannot, in general, get the same thing for the same price in both cities. Despite what you can do in "averages" that cannot truly be applied.
Bingo. When I was looking to buy a home back in 2010, with a $300k budget, a home in Allen, Frisco, or McKinney was very comparable for $/sq ft, age of home, amenities, etc. That same home was $30k more if it was in Plano, and zoned to PISD.

In 2014, we were house hunting again, with a budget of $550k. Looked at homes again in McKinney, Allen, Frisco, Prosper, Plano, etc. The price discrepancy, with all things being relatively equal, was still that Plano was more expensive than any of the other cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyam11 View Post
You do realize the facts say differently. That is not to say that there are not pockets in Allen at the high end where you can get slightly more than a house in Western West Plano would run you, but overall $ for $ you can get about the same.

This is not arguable.
It is arguable, because you're wrong.

Old 05-11-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWUser1 View Post
Why? Each of those details are FACTS and let me know if anything is incorrect. I may have repeated few in other posts, listed again as reasons for choosing Allen came into discussion. Those are some of the factors I assume anyone would consider in their home buying decisions. It's a combination of various elements that needs to be evaluated.
LOL You continually confuse facts with your opinions.

Old 05-11-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
LOL You continually confuse facts with your opinions.
Post what is incorrect if you can. Instead of LOL on each post and passing blanket/silly statements.

Old 05-11-2018, 01:32 PM

964 posts, read 878,236 times
Quote:
Bingo. When I was looking to buy a home back in 2010, with a $300k budget, a home in Allen, Frisco, or McKinney was very comparable for $/sq ft, age of home, amenities, etc. That same home was $30k more if it was in Plano, and zoned to PISD.

In 2014, we were house hunting again, with a budget of $550k. Looked at homes again in McKinney, Allen, Frisco, Prosper, Plano, etc. The price discrepancy, with all things being relatively equal, was still that Plano was more expensive than any of the other cities.

It is arguable, because you're wrong.
Really? So you are telling me I can't find a house around 2800sf in Plano for $350,000-$375000 and then telling me I can't find around a 2800sf house in Allen for $350,000-$375,000.

Wanna bet I can find over 10 in Plano and I can find over 5 in Allen .

So it is not arguable.

I actually found 1 in Plano that is nicer for $370,000 than the 1 in Allen for $370,000. Actually I found multiple houses that are nice than the Allen house.

You and I have a different definition of wrong.

Old 05-11-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Really? So you are telling me I can't find a house around 2800sf in Plano for $350,000-$375000 and then telling me I can't find around a 2800sf house in Allen for $350,000-$375,000.
No I'm not telling you that.

Quote:
Wanna bet I can find over 10 in Plano and I can find over 5 in Allen .

So it is not arguable.

I actually found 1 in Plano that is nicer for $370,000 than the 1 in Allen for $370,000. Actually I found multiple houses that are nice than the Allen house.

You and I have a different definition of wrong.
You can cherry pick any number of houses you like. What you deem as "nicer" is completely subjective. But anyone who's house hunted in any of these areas (which doesn't include you, since you're far too rich to actively be shopping in this price bracket, right?) knows that you'll pay a premium for Plano ISD and for the proximity to more employers, shopping, and restaurants, than you can find in any of the surrounding suburbs.

Any realtor, who routinely lists and shows houses, will tell you that this premium for Plano exists. That premium has existed since the 80's and probably well before then, for as long as there was a stigma of living on the East side of 75, (which was all of Allen back then) and separating the "good" parts of Plano from the "bad."

Now I'll let you get back to cruising down Southlake in your Bentley. But you can't speed through, no, two miles an hour, so everybody sees you!

Oh, almost forgot... Cool story bro.

Old 05-11-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:

Now I'll let you get back to cruising down Southlake in your Bentley. But you can't speed through, no, two miles an hour, so everybody sees you!

Looks like you are done with LOL, out of meaningful thoughts to post and the last thing you can do is - personal attacks. Excellent.

Old 05-11-2018, 02:12 PM

964 posts, read 878,236 times
Quote:

You can cherry pick any number of houses you like. What you deem as "nicer" is completely subjective. But anyone who's house hunted in any of these areas (which doesn't include you, since you're far too rich to actively be shopping in this price bracket, right?) knows that you'll pay a premium for Plano ISD and for the proximity to more employers, shopping, and restaurants, than you can find in any of the surrounding suburbs.

Any realtor, who routinely lists and shows houses, will tell you that this premium for Plano exists. That premium has existed since the 80's and probably well before then, for as long as there was a stigma of living on the East side of 75, (which was all of Allen back then) and separating the "good" parts of Plano from the "bad."

Sure it is completely subjective but very few people I know would consider a house in Allen with laminate better than a house in Plano with Granite.

Actually we did live in Frisco before in a house below your budget and considered Frisco, Allen, and Plano. I have no doubt that some will pay a premium for Plano ISD and others might pay a premium for Allen ISD. Some will pay a premium to live in Allen near 75 and others will pay a premium to live in Plano next to the tollway.

I could not care less what any realtor tells me. I care what facts say. The facts say that median price per sq ft is nearly identical and realize that using basic math what it shows is that a 2800sf home in both places is virtually the same price for the same fit and finish.

I hate to break it to you but when multiple houses fit the bill it isn't cherry picking. Cherry picking is taking 1 house only when the majority fit a different scenario. In this instance I would actually have to cherry pick to fin d an outlier to prove Plano is more expensive. Again definitions. Learn what cherry picking means when you learn what being wrong means.

Your whole post is basically full of mistakes, but don't let facts get in the way of your story.

In other words....wrong again. As usual

Old 05-11-2018, 02:28 PM

459 posts, read 1,744,953 times
It took me all of 5 minutes of searching to compare my Plano starter-size home (75093/ WP) to some of the listings in Allen.

Similar home/lot size, and in some cases the home(s) are older but have similar updates/finishes... but in either case, it would be a $50-60K premium for my home in Plano vs. the equivalent in Allen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas