Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2018, 09:55 AM

19,804 posts, read 18,099,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
Is it psychological? Some of us pursue outdoor recreation A LOT. Having better recreation close by would provide a meaningful quality of life improvement. Our family can make it work with what we've got, but this isn't something people have manufactured in their heads.
Note my claim covers "some" people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2018, 10:13 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,451,235 times
I'm not sure all these evolving pi**ing matches are doing much to help OP make an informed decision.

Old 09-03-2018, 10:21 AM

19,804 posts, read 18,099,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
I'm not sure all these evolving pi**ing matches are doing much to help OP make an informed decision.
Trying to paint an honest picture of the area should help the OP.

Old 09-03-2018, 10:22 AM

132 posts, read 95,224 times
Dallas is just okc with more buildings. There.

Old 09-03-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinpa7 View Post
Dallas is just okc with more buildings. There.
And Houston is just New Orleans with more buildings. There.

Old 09-03-2018, 12:22 PM

194 posts, read 181,506 times
This thread was very enlightening, wanted to follow up on a few statements as we are also considering a move to DFW but we are coming from south of Philly. I was surprised to see statements about not much outdoor rec and the weather keeps people in 6 to 7 months of the year!! One of the perks I thought about moving to DFW area is that we'd be able to be outside MORE because of milder winters. My husband is an avid golfer and ice hockey player so summer is golf and ice hockey is winter. My son also plays hockey, soccer, lacrosse, golfs. Both trail ride and i love hiking around. (no mountains here so flat land is fine). My daughter plays tennis but will be in college so won't be here much anyway. I've only been keeping track of weather a few weeks as that is when possible job move came on the horizon. The biggest difference I see is the night time temp does not dip much but your day temps is just a few degrees hotter and today we are keeping in the 90's while Plano is coudy at 76. And looking at the coming week our temps are very similiar high 80's, low 90's. So now I'm wondering what DFW temps actually FEEL like? I'm sure you go into triple digits many more days than us but wondering how much hotter/humid it feels?? Also I was surprised at the references to high humidity??? I thought Texas was dry heat??? Am I wrong??? Guess you would have to know how mid-atlantic humdity feels like, it's very sticky feeling all over.

Sorry to hijack your thread OP! Good luck with your decision, it's a hard one!!

Old 09-03-2018, 12:35 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,268,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
And Houston is just New Orleans with more buildings. There.
Naw, the age of the cities and the way they are structured is totally different.

Dallas is alot like a much bigger, more diverse OKC in a lot of ways, much more so than Houston and NOLA being similar.

Old 09-03-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Naw, the age of the cities and the way they are structured is totally different.

Dallas is alot like a much bigger, more diverse OKC in a lot of ways, much more so than Houston and NOLA being similar.
Ok, I was just being silly. Not looking to send everyone off in another direction here.

Old 09-03-2018, 01:22 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GigiTer View Post
This thread was very enlightening, wanted to follow up on a few statements as we are also considering a move to DFW but we are coming from south of Philly. I was surprised to see statements about not much outdoor rec and the weather keeps people in 6 to 7 months of the year!! One of the perks I thought about moving to DFW area is that we'd be able to be outside MORE because of milder winters. My husband is an avid golfer and ice hockey player so summer is golf and ice hockey is winter. My son also plays hockey, soccer, lacrosse, golfs. Both trail ride and i love hiking around. (no mountains here so flat land is fine). My daughter plays tennis but will be in college so won't be here much anyway. I've only been keeping track of weather a few weeks as that is when possible job move came on the horizon. The biggest difference I see is the night time temp does not dip much but your day temps is just a few degrees hotter and today we are keeping in the 90's while Plano is coudy at 76. And looking at the coming week our temps are very similiar high 80's, low 90's. So now I'm wondering what DFW temps actually FEEL like? I'm sure you go into triple digits many more days than us but wondering how much hotter/humid it feels?? Also I was surprised at the references to high humidity??? I thought Texas was dry heat??? Am I wrong??? Guess you would have to know how mid-atlantic humdity feels like, it's very sticky feeling all over.

Sorry to hijack your thread OP! Good luck with your decision, it's a hard one!!

Good questions!

Texas summers in the DFW area are very long and very hot and humid - not as humid as some parts of the east coast but still, plenty humid. It's not a "dry heat" in north Texas in other words.

The milder winters are GREAT - to me, winters are one of the things I LOVE about north Texas. And spring in Texas is fabulous.

If your husband is a golfer, then he will probably be happy with the golfing throughout the year - except for the heat of summer. It's just hard to explain how hot it gets here - just absolutely oppressively hot and still and humid. But while it CAN get really, really hot anytime from May through October, generally that oppressive sort of heat tends to come around in July, August and sometimes September. Unless your husband and son are suckers for punishment, I doubt they will be playing much golf in July and August, but the tradeoff is that they WILL be probably enjoying golf in December, maybe January, and February!

Don't judge Plano/Dallas/Fort Worth by this next week's temps - this is hurricane season and we can get heavy rain associated with gulf storms this time of year, or at the least cloud cover, which lowers the temps pretty dramatically. But short of a tropical storm coming into the gulf, usually temps in early September are still hotter than Hades.

Very generally speaking, if it's 94 in Dallas, it feels like at least 98. Factor in all the pavement, concrete, buildings, etc. and the still heaviness of the air and the perpetually, perpetually huge Texas summer sky - filled with blue and that blazing sun - and you can see why we complain about the long hot summers!

I lived up and down the east coast till I was in my late twenties, so I am familiar with east coast humidity. Yes, Dallas is still really humid. Maybe not QUITE as humid, but still much more humid than dry. And hotter. Honestly, I love me some Texas but Texas summers are just incredibly hot - hotter than any other place I've lived.

Old 09-03-2018, 02:04 PM

194 posts, read 181,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Good questions!

Texas summers in the DFW area are very long and very hot and humid - not as humid as some parts of the east coast but still, plenty humid. It's not a "dry heat" in north Texas in other words.

The milder winters are GREAT - to me, winters are one of the things I LOVE about north Texas. And spring in Texas is fabulous.

If your husband is a golfer, then he will probably be happy with the golfing throughout the year - except for the heat of summer. It's just hard to explain how hot it gets here - just absolutely oppressively hot and still and humid. But while it CAN get really, really hot anytime from May through October, generally that oppressive sort of heat tends to come around in July, August and sometimes September. Unless your husband and son are suckers for punishment, I doubt they will be playing much golf in July and August, but the tradeoff is that they WILL be probably enjoying golf in December, maybe January, and February!

Don't judge Plano/Dallas/Fort Worth by this next week's temps - this is hurricane season and we can get heavy rain associated with gulf storms this time of year, or at the least cloud cover, which lowers the temps pretty dramatically. But short of a tropical storm coming into the gulf, usually temps in early September are still hotter than Hades.

Very generally speaking, if it's 94 in Dallas, it feels like at least 98. Factor in all the pavement, concrete, buildings, etc. and the still heaviness of the air and the perpetually, perpetually huge Texas summer sky - filled with blue and that blazing sun - and you can see why we complain about the long hot summers!

I lived up and down the east coast till I was in my late twenties, so I am familiar with east coast humidity. Yes, Dallas is still really humid. Maybe not QUITE as humid, but still much more humid than dry. And hotter. Honestly, I love me some Texas but Texas summers are just incredibly hot - hotter than any other place I've lived.
Thank you very much!! Great info and not what I had originally thought! I've only lived on the east coast and have never stepped foot in Texas so there is alot to research a possible move! Thx!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas