Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 07:05 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,376,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I
I agree that Watermark is not my fishing pond. Before the first incident I described, I had no idea that the woman was a Watermark attendee. I knew nothing about Watermark since I am not a non-denominational Christian. Why is a second date a time to basically demand for me to attend her church? I would not appreciate that about any religion. The second incident was a weak social network acquaintance set up. I was not made aware of her Watermark status before, but discussing Heaven and Hell is not ideal dating small talk. On my early stage dates, I ask about my date's passions and life experiences, and then eventually ideological discussions happen.

With regard to Watermark and Northwest Bible Church (the preacher at Watermark used to preach at Northwest so there is a connection there), here's my feelings about that. They push the "equally yoked" doctrine very heavily. So if you are interested in a prospective partner attending one of these churches, be prepared to be grilled heavily about your beliefs prior to a more serious involvement. They are also against Catholicism. If you date or marry a Catholic, and you attend one of these churches, they will have an issue with that. A male friend of mine who was Catholic, had to break off his engagement to his Watermark fiance because her family tried to make him get down on his knees and say that Jesus Christ was his lord and savior; because they didn't think his Catholic beliefs made him a real Christian so they tried to force his statement of belief. Said they wouldn't support their daughter marrying him otherwise. He had issues with the whole scenario and felt forced and so he just broke it off.

Of course, sex before marriage is not sanctioned either. Also, if you're gay you would not be accepted at Watermark unless you were willing to undergo spiritual counseling. So, don't be Catholic, don't marry or date a Catholic, don't be gay and it helps (a lot) if you vote Republican. Because being accepted otherwise is going to be a struggle at this particular church.

All of the above are my opinions and that's all they are - opinions.

Another mom made it clear to me that our daughters would NOT be friends unless we started attending Dallas Baptist church (downtown). It was too far for us to drive to and although I would take her occasionally to activities there, I felt I was being blackmailed emotionally. "We won't be friends with you unless you place membership at our church." Some people take their church membership very seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 06:05 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,457,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Some people take their church membership very seriously.
Yes, and it's amazing. Take for instance Catholics, non-denominational Protestants (Watermark is an example of this), and mainline Protestants. About 90%-95% of it is basically the same. I'm not trying to start a holy war here, but if you were to analyze doctrine, that's about what it is. All of those groups believe in the same Bible with the same Old and New Testament.

I'm pretty sure in the Bible that it says not to start quarrels with those who have 90-95% of similar beliefs as yours. Therefore, Watermark practitioners who demonstrate a disdain for the Catholic Church are completely out of line with the theological doctrine from their sacred text. The same thing would go for Catholics showing disdain for mainline Protestants and non-denominational adherents, as well as mainline Protestants showing disdain for Catholics and non-denominational adherents.

There really should be a focus on commonality between Christians.

Old 10-24-2018, 07:52 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Yes, and it's amazing. Take for instance Catholics, non-denominational Protestants (Watermark is an example of this), and mainline Protestants. About 90%-95% of it is basically the same. I'm not trying to start a holy war here, but if you were to analyze doctrine, that's about what it is. All of those groups believe in the same Bible with the same Old and New Testament.

I'm pretty sure in the Bible that it says not to start quarrels with those who have 90-95% of similar beliefs as yours. Therefore, Watermark practitioners who demonstrate a disdain for the Catholic Church are completely out of line with the theological doctrine from their sacred text. The same thing would go for Catholics showing disdain for mainline Protestants and non-denominational adherents, as well as mainline Protestants showing disdain for Catholics and non-denominational adherents.

There really should be a focus on commonality between Christians.
I mean there are some critical differences between how Catholics and Protestants in general view certain doctrines, (and between different protestant denominations for that matter) and those shouldn't be minimized, but the difference is, the Catholic Church acknowledges the Christianity of Protestants, it just takes issue with specific beliefs. The same goes for most protestants. It's a loaded word, but both sides would consider each-other "Heretics" (in a technical sense) as in mostly right but with some critical errors, not a separate religion.

There is actually a fairly healthy dialogue between various churches and a push for unity.

However, due largely to the independence between protestant churches, some individual churches (and quite a few fundamentalist baptists in general) don't view Catholicism as christian at all, some see it as the anti-christ.

Look up bob Jones's old comic book tracts, they are pretty hilarious, actually.

I'm not saying all the Watermark folks think that, but I've certainly encountered some who will straight up tell me as a Catholic, I'm not "Saved"

Old 10-24-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post

However, due largely to the independence between protestant churches, some individual churches (and quite a few fundamentalist baptists in general) don't view Catholicism as christian at all, some see it as the anti-christ.

Look up bob Jones's old comic book tracts, they are pretty hilarious, actually.

I'm not saying all the Watermark folks think that, but I've certainly encountered some who will straight up tell me as a Catholic, I'm not "Saved"
Since you mentioned tracts, I saw a tract at NW Bible Church years ago that had a picture of a Catholic person wearing a rosary being engulfed in the flames of hell. It was a tract that explained how Catholicism is "evil". They do see it as the anti-Christ, many of them do. It's funny how they single out Catholics though when there are so many other religions they totally disagree with as well.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Since you mentioned tracts, I saw a tract at NW Bible Church years ago that had a picture of a Catholic person wearing a rosary being engulfed in the flames of hell. It was a tract that explained how Catholicism is "evil". They do see it as the anti-Christ, many of them do. It's funny how they single out Catholics though when there are so many other religions they totally disagree with as well.
It's just part of the history of Protestantism in America. That isn't to say Catholics aren't guilty persecuting protestants in Catholic countries as well, but Anglo America has always fallen under the "Protestants persecuting Catholics" banner. I mean even when JFK was elected alot of people didn't want to vote for him for being a "Papist"

Of the original 13, Maryland was the only colony where it was even legal to be Catholic, and even Maryland repealed the act of toleration between 1650-1658. The rest "Legalized" Catholicism when America became a country.

Even after the American Revolution anti catholic movements have been very strong here in the States: The Know Nothings, American Protective Association, and the 2nd Clan were all VERY anti Catholic. My family had crosses burnt in their field by the Clan for being German Catholic Immigrants.

There is a lot less anti Catholicism these days,and most of it is laughable, but some still lingers around, old habits die hard.

Old 10-24-2018, 12:40 PM

I think some of these local churches need to be investigated as there is an issue of separation of church and state but some of them seem to be almost operating as political entities.

Old 10-24-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post

There is a lot less anti Catholicism these days,and most of it is laughable, but some still lingers around, old habits die hard.
You're right, it is laughable to see how they get upset over finding out someone is Catholic and then try to preach to them all the ways they are wrong, i.e. "You pray to Mary" "You worship saints", etc.

Old 10-24-2018, 12:55 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,856,148 times
I believe the OP asked for church recommendations, not arguments over doctrines.

Have friends that go here and love it. Not a mega church but alive and thriving right there in uptown....

www.trinitydallas.com

Old 10-24-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I believe the OP asked for church recommendations, not arguments over doctrines.

Have friends that go here and love it. Not a mega church but alive and thriving right there in uptown....

C3 Trinity Dallas - Nondenominational Church in Uptown
We aren't discussing any doctrine specificly, we, or I rather are just pointing out there is pretty strong anti-Catholic element in some of these recommendations which I certainly would want to know if I was church hunting.

Old 10-25-2018, 05:52 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,457,468 times
In 2012, Stanford University researchers released a study about how heterosexual couples met. This study examines how heterosexual couples met based upon the year the relationship was formed. It is a longitudinal study that has been periodically updated over time. It examines relationships formed between 1940 and 2009. Essentially no one meets their romantic partner at church anymore. My sense is that this study will get an update in the next 2-3 years.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.c4e36ce665be
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas