Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 06:49 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,078,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
This is the first time I've heard of counting alcoholic parents as diversity. I grew up with a parent who had a problem with alcohol and I view this idea as stupid and insulting.
I didn't say it had anything to do with diversity. I said it was an example of someone struggling with a problem that could help teach compassion.

Not all problems are economic. I had a family member die of alcoholism. I view the idea that not being able to take a vacation is a bigger problem is stupid and insulting.

Sorry you were offended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 06:57 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,269,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Thinking that young people can only learn about compassion for others or about gratitude for their blessings based on socio-economic differences is extremely silly. This is what makes me think you are not a parent. When you live a relatively wealthy area, but you realize that even those people with mansions and Bentleys have family problems or health problems or whatever also is a means of learning compassion and gratitude. Our society equates success and happiness with wealth. Realizing that money is not a universal cure all is a valuable lesson at every economic level.

And no, alcoholic parents or those with disabilities are not the same as those who can't afford a vacation. It is a million times worse to have an alcoholic parent but to go on fancy trips, versus having a healthy parent and not getting to go any where. Geez. Is it worse to struggle to make rent or to not be able to walk, maybe because of a terrible birth defect? There are far worse problems than a lack of money. I do not agree with your premise that learning to care for others should be based primarily on economic disparity..
No, but economic disparity shouldn't be dismissed. I agree, being healthy and having good parents is much preferable over being wealthy and a drunk Dad/mom. But you will find addition and disease in every socio-economic group, its a sort of "Diversity" if you want to call it that, that is forced on everyone. Basically It's just part of the human condition and is basically unavoidable regardless of how much money you make. It isn't diversity, it's a tragedy.

In the end socio-economic differences make a huge difference. Having a crippling disease is worse if you don't have health insurance. It's worse to have an addict dad who doesn't pay for your college than one who does, all other things created equal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
This is completely ridiculous. Do you always make such harsh assumptions about people? Children have eyes and brains. A parent doesn't have to go around showing their kids "look kids, here are the poor people." All anyone has to do is drive from South Lake to some neighborhoods outside of Fort Worth and see the difference. Ever been to Costa Rica? We have. The kids saw mansions and they saw shacks. They saw for themselves the disparity between rich and poor. Your original comment suggested that kids in the wealthy suburbs are in some kind if of bubble, and for many, that is simply not true.
Kids in wealthy suburbs do live in a bubble. Sometimes they leave it, sometimes they look outside their bubble, but they still live in a bubble. Most are aware that other people don't have the same lifestyle they do and are aware they are "Different" It's one thing to be aware other people aren't as fortunate. but that isn't the same thing as going to class with or playing on the same soccer team as a kid who's folks make just over minimum wage.

No need to go to Costa Rica,you can see wealth disparity just driving around DFW.

I don't think it's a harsh assumption, I've seen it my whole life, most of it is unintentional.

Maybe for some people the Pros of living in a wealthy enclave outweigh the Cons but I think it's overly optimistic to think that the cons arn't real or that simply being aware that everyone isn't as fortunate is a bandaid for having a broad range of friends and acquaintances.

Last edited by Treasurevalley92; 11-09-2018 at 07:07 AM..

Old 11-09-2018, 07:36 AM

213 posts, read 183,495 times
Soooo....what about getting back to the original topic?

Old 11-09-2018, 11:11 AM

932 posts, read 543,960 times
People who have money can't move freely with people who don't since its out of their comfort zone.
Nothing to do with class.....its basic human behavior.

Its like a Database developer trying to write UI code or a person used to playing tennis, play golf.

So, stop condescending each other, you condescenders .... and just chill

Old 11-13-2018, 07:40 AM

132 posts, read 95,230 times
Lol, if you were looking for uniqueness, chatecter and culture? Dallas is the worst in Texas.

You see, Dallas is ashamed of its Texas roots. They want to be considered an northeastern city like NYC dc and Philly. IT'S NOT.��

For that reason the city has no identity. They can't seem to get along with FW or it's cookie cutter suburbs. It's crazy.

Old 11-13-2018, 07:46 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,092,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinpa7 View Post
Lol, if you were looking for uniqueness, chatecter and culture? Dallas is the worst in Texas.

You see, Dallas is ashamed of its Texas roots. They want to be considered an northeastern city like NYC dc and Philly. IT'S NOT.��

For that reason the city has no identity. They can't seem to get along with FW or it's cookie cutter suburbs. It's crazy.
Every native here seems to love Texas. I still see the Texas flag everywhere, commercials, billboards, and ads seem to bring up Texas often in a positive light, cowboy hats and boots still are more common than in those cities you mentioned, and I can still overhear conversations where people bring up the state in a subtle-brag type of way. That is throughout the metro and the parts of Dallas I do frequest-mostly Far North, around SMU, and Harry Hines.

Old 11-13-2018, 07:56 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,177,407 times
Quote:

Most native DFWers (myself included) will absolutely disagree with you. How is that Dallas is ashamed of our roots?

Old 11-13-2018, 08:06 AM

692 posts, read 856,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyforger View Post
People who have money can't move freely with people who don't since its out of their comfort zone. Nothing to do with class.....its basic human behavior.
That *would* explain why so many CDF residents seem to regard the non-Las-Colinas parts of Irving as scary and dangerous...

Old 11-13-2018, 08:24 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Every native here seems to love Texas. I still see the Texas flag everywhere, commercials, billboards, and ads seem to bring up Texas often in a positive light, cowboy hats and boots still are more common than in those cities you mentioned, and I can still overhear conversations where people bring up the state in a subtle-brag type of way. That is throughout the metro and the parts of Dallas I do frequest-mostly Far North, around SMU, and Harry Hines.
I'm a native Texan and I don't do any of that stuff. No hats, no boots, no Texas flags in the house, no giant metal five-point stars anywhere, no rustic décor involving rusty barbed wire and/or distressed wood, etc. None of that. I don't brag about being from Texas; it's not like I had any say in the matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post
Most native DFWers (myself included) will absolutely disagree with you. How is that Dallas is ashamed of our roots?
Dallas has a tendency to disregard and/or tear down its own history. You can't disagree with me there.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:25 AM

218 posts, read 337,321 times
Quote:

Looks like you are from PA.
Your rants on various threads might be due to Eagles loss on Sunday.

But that is no reason to be disrespectful.
Every city has pros and cons.
You chose your city and we chose ours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas