Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 07:12 PM

23 posts, read 38,922 times

Advertisements

Hi, could anyone tell me about Lucas Tx and the commute time during rush hr from the Crescent in Dallas? We are thinking about relocating and Lucas caught my eye but I have no clue if its too far. FYI- we have 3 young children and are looking for a great, safe town with good schools (isn't everybody lol) that is commutable from Crescent court in Dallas. Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 08:10 PM

7 posts, read 11,633 times
Hi Jackimar-
I can tell you as someone who is very familiar with this area that Lucas is a very desirable area to live in. Families are relocating from all over to get into Allen and Lucas schools. It is a lovely area with many properties having more space than the usual lots you see in the Allen area. The commute, well, that may be iffy. It may take up to 40-45 minutes in traffic each way. Moderator cut: not allowed, read TOS ! Have a great day!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 03-18-2014 at 11:08 AM..

Old 03-16-2014, 08:11 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,571,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YolandaR View Post
oy!
Over an hour to the crescent each way IMO.phased quote

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 03-18-2014 at 11:09 AM..

Old 03-16-2014, 08:20 PM

23 posts, read 38,922 times
Thank you both!! We are coming for a visit in April so we shall see

Old 03-16-2014, 09:25 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
Over an hour to the crescent each way IMO.
I would agree with your time estimate. It's showing 40 minutes right now (10:25pm) so NO WAY anyone is driving that in under 1 hour in rush hour traffic. Probably more like 60-80 minutes each way in solid bumper to bumper.

OP, are you relocating for a finance job? If so, the majority of people working in the Crescent live in Dallas, not way out in the burbs. Most people with families live in the Park Cities (super safe, family friendly, and the best public schools in Dallas, avg home price $1.2Mish) or Preston Hollow / North Dallas (super safe, bigger lots, must of private school but all the good ones are in these neighborhoods, avg home price $700k-ish).

Old 03-16-2014, 10:12 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,745,552 times
Honestly, I would be very skeptical of the long term health of the Lovejoy school district. The superintendent cannot seem to manage facilities vs growth. They overbuilt and have a school that they are now selling spots to out of district students to help offset theie budget shortfall (Lovejoy ISD Tuition)

And then turned around and put out a bond election for additional facilities. And it failed. (Lovejoy ISD Bond)

Old 03-17-2014, 10:40 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,861,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YolandaR View Post
Hi Jackimar-
I can tell you as someone who is very familiar with this area that Lucas is a very desirable area to live in. Families are relocating from all over to get into Allen and Lucas schools. It is a lovely area with many properties having more space than the usual lots you see in the Allen area. The commute, well, that may be iffy. It may take up to 40-45 minutes in traffic Have a great day!
Moderator cut: orphaned quote Depending on where in Lucas, I would put the commute at over an hour in rush hour, most likely, closer to 1.5 hours. Once off the freeway, there are only 2 lane black top roads into Lucas. Lots of traffic on those little roads.

Even at 45 minutes during non-rush hour, it would be difficult to get to programs or conferences at school. This area is big on both parents showing up for grade level programs during the day.

Consider if you will feel like attending sports games after sitting in traffic for over an hour.

For what it is worth, the only person I knew that worked at The Crescent lived in Richardson, and his kids were already out of school. (Canyon Creek area)

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 03-18-2014 at 11:10 AM..

Old 03-17-2014, 12:12 PM

88 posts, read 173,246 times
Lucas is a good option for people working in Allen, Mckinney etc. Its a poor recommendation for anyone working in Dallas. Unless budget is good enough for HPISD or PrestonHollow/Private schools, I would stay in North Dallas area serviced by Plano schools.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...-they-say.html

Last edited by SilverGold; 03-17-2014 at 12:23 PM..

Old 03-17-2014, 12:52 PM

46 posts, read 78,097 times
The City does not provide sewer service except in very specific areas, such as for the new high school. Residential areas all utilize septic systems.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:00 AM

45 posts, read 52,723 times
I live in Allen on the edge of Lucas. I commute to downtown Dallas everyday and my kids go to one of the Lovejoy elementary schools. I would agree that I am a rarity in the area as far as the commute. The kids love going to school and they are thriving, and I have nothing but good things to say about the school system based on our experience and from talking with other parents. The commute during rush hour will take from 1 to even 1.5 hours. Even if you park and ride and take the DART, it will take at least an hour. To avoid that, I stagger my schedule, and usually leave the house before rush hour and leave work before the rush starts. That takes me about 35 minutes. That said, I have job that gives me that flexibility and doesn't require that I live in a certain area for social/networking reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas