Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2020, 10:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,043 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how hard it is to get into the dual language/Spanish immersion programs in these ISDs for kindergarden? For Dallas ISD, we are mostly interested in Walnut Hill. Does it help if my kids speak Spanish (they are not English learners.)? Are the dual language programs ok for bilingual kids? I want to be sure that my kids are not in a program mostly geared to English learners.

How hard is it to lottery into Westlake Charter? Any other charter schools you can recommend in these ISDs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2020, 03:58 AM

197 posts, read 229,120 times
Would say that the situation at Walnut Hill might be a little messy right now. Hopefully you are aware that their school was destroyed by the tornado on October 20th, and that they are operating out of a temporary facility (I should say a closed former DISD elementary school) west of I-35E in a mostly-industrial area at this moment.

Old 01-26-2020, 10:36 AM

22 posts, read 43,263 times
Yes. But isn’t it changing to a K-8? Do you think it will be a good option for those years? Is their dual language Pre-k good?

Old 01-27-2020, 10:06 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
Here's the info about the Grapevine-Colleyville ISD dual language program:
https://www.gcisd.net/departments/wo...uage_education

Old 01-27-2020, 10:19 AM

516 posts, read 450,330 times
OP - Have you looked into Withers Elementary as well? It is a part of DISD and is around 5 minutes up the road from Walnut Hill and they also provide a dual-language program. My friend's mother is a TA there and has spoken highly of the program for both students learning Spanish and those who already know it.

While Walnut Hill was able to accomplish a great deal by moving their whole campus in just a couple of days, I am not sure how much their move has affected the day to day there. However, I understand your interest in Walnut Hill, especially its being a Blue Ribbon school. I suggest finding out more information of their current environment.

Old 01-27-2020, 01:33 PM

15 posts, read 13,092 times
We have kids at Westlake Academy (since almost six years ago through the lottery in Kindergarten), but I am not aware that they have any material language immersion program at the school.

Regarding the lottery, it depends on the grade. There were over 2,600 kids in the lottery when we applied. It's likely more now and they have been building significantly more houses in Westlake, which families get automatic admission, so less spots for lottery. I'd expect less than 15 new lottery spots to be open for each of the lower primary grades - some can be in the single digits. The most competition is in Kindergarten. Upper grades (middle (MYP) and high school (DP)) have more spots because some students transfer to Southlake and Keller schools for sports, extra curriculars, etc.

Old 01-27-2020, 01:43 PM

22 posts, read 43,263 times
Default Thank you

Have you been happy with the school?

Old 01-27-2020, 02:07 PM

15 posts, read 13,092 times
Yes, we are very happy with it. The kids get a lot of personal attention and we are believers in the IB curriculum. We plan to be there until they graduate.

It's not for everyone. Reasonable minds may differ and think that more time should be spent on memorizing multiplication tables, etc . Also, if your kids are great athletes, they will not really be challenged there. If your kids are advanced way beyond, or are way behind, the standards for the grade, there are somewhat limited resources for them as it is still a small school. We know of some families that left Westlake for both of those reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas