Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 03:22 PM

87 posts, read 98,484 times

Advertisements

Ok, I read all the comments above, All are very insightful. I have thought about these in the last few days myself too. Thank you. A little more about me and my situation:

1. I have been unemployed for about 6 months; not able to find desirable jobs in local area.
2. the motivation for the cisco job - yes, money is really good. offer is even higher than my expectation. and full relocation.
3. I know the risk is there. The way I figure, if I get fired after 1 year or 2, still worth it, I will jump to Dallas or Austin to find next job. Both have a lot of opportunities.
4. I don't like bars, I just have to go to Dallas once a month to do like some special grocery shopping and restaurant, which only big metro cities have.

I know Abeliene is too far away, too much for commute, I hate long commute. So option 2 is my last option now.
I think Eastland is ok to me as long as I can find a safe community, or in Ranger. I mean, it got Walmart, and some restarants.
I know there is really no decent apartment there in cisco or eastland, my preference is rent a single family house. But then I am having a hard timing finding online. I used zillow and craigslist. any other online websites / resources?
I am not afraid of buy a single family house in eastland or cisco or nearby in a short while, the houses are very cheap to my income level. But one thing is that as I said, I may leave after 1 year or 2, so a little reluctancy, but still, if there is really no other options.....

please any more suggestions?

Last edited by fuhongl; 04-04-2019 at 03:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 06:34 PM

989 posts, read 2,442,293 times
The million dollar question here is what kind of employer pays a high salary and is based in Cisco...crazy. Maybe the college?

The plus side is you are right, Dallas & Austin have a ton of job opportunities.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:38 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,412,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
The million dollar question here is what kind of employer pays a high salary and is based in Cisco...crazy. Maybe the college?

The plus side is you are right, Dallas & Austin have a ton of job opportunities.
Well you'd be surprised how employers pay to send people to remote areas. North Dakota and Alaska are some of those places you can negotiate a good $ for.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:40 PM

206 posts, read 170,921 times
If you’re interested in a house, call a realtor in Eastland. Another option could be a mobile home. Buy the home and rent a spot in a mobile home park.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:59 AM

11,856 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Definitely work with a local realtor. Many rental properties in small towns are advertised by just putting a sign in the front yard, so you need someone local who knows the territory. As you've found, Craigslist is pretty useless in rural areas, and Zillow is pretty useless for any real estate use in Texas since we are a non-disclosure state, so the information on that site is notoriously incorrect.

You might also ask the new employer for help, especially since they are paying to relocate you out there. I would venture a guess that most of your new coworkers and your manager also live in/near Cisco, too.

Old 04-05-2019, 08:25 AM

87 posts, read 98,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Definitely work with a local realtor. Many rental properties in small towns are advertised by just putting a sign in the front yard, so you need someone local who knows the territory. As you've found, Craigslist is pretty useless in rural areas, and Zillow is pretty useless for any real estate use in Texas since we are a non-disclosure state, so the information on that site is notoriously incorrect.

You might also ask the new employer for help, especially since they are paying to relocate you out there. I would venture a guess that most of your new coworkers and your manager also live in/near Cisco, too.

Good point, I tried as well. There are 3 rental houses each listed in eastland and cisco. a couple of those seem livable from the pictures. So I guess I might have to hit every one of those when I arrive there.

Last edited by Yac; 12-01-2020 at 01:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas