Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 12:19 PM

80 posts, read 73,439 times

Advertisements

I would definitely recommend getting a top-floor, end unit if possible. For me, it made the transition from house to studio much easier. My two-month stay in corporate housing with someone above and on both sides of me was a nightmare; brief, thankfully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2019, 03:55 PM

108 posts, read 121,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgo42 View Post
Do watch out for some of those apartments. They’ve been slapped up almost overnight - if you’re a light sleeper, it can be rough.
AE,
I assume you mean they have very thin walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeliza View Post
I would definitely recommend getting a top-floor, end unit if possible. For me, it made the transition from house to studio much easier. My two-month stay in corporate housing with someone above and on both sides of me was a nightmare; brief, thankfully.
I don't remember what it's like to live in an apartment. I guess some neighbors can be very loud - especially the young crowd.
I will keep that in mind when I start looking in late Nov to early Dec.

Old 06-30-2019, 04:10 PM

724 posts, read 530,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead8286 View Post
AE,
I assume you mean they have very thin walls

I don't remember what it's like to live in an apartment. I guess some neighbors can be very loud - especially the young crowd.
I will keep that in mind when I start looking in late Nov to early Dec.
Yeah. Particularly between floors it seems.

When I first moved to Austin way back, I was in a corporate housing deal and it was like I was in the same house with one neighbor. I actually could hear people on the other end of his phone calls.

A good friend of mine just went through a divorce and moved to an apartment kind of near the area you’re looking while they got all that sorted out. It was an older complex and far quieter than what I’ve seen in the newer complexes. It’s not the young adult crowd you’ve got to watch for. It’s the young families with kids.

If I were you, I’d definitely go for the 1BR places, after all - you’ll get tired of commuting back and the wife may come your way sometimes, better to have a little room in those cases.

Good luck! August will be a real wake up time to visit the surface of the sun here. When October rolls around and it starts to cool a bit at night it’ll feel great. Oh, and make sure your complex has a pool. It’s the only way the summers are tolerable.

Old 06-30-2019, 05:01 PM

158 posts, read 181,181 times
Quote:
I am relocating from Long Island, NY. Rents for the same style apartments here are probably double if not more. For me a studio or a 1 bedroom will do.

These looked interesting:
Mission Gate Apartments
https://www.apartmentguide.com/apart...t-Homes/14848/

The Domaine
https://www.apartmentguide.com/apart...Domaine/11907/
Both the above apartments were built in the late 90s.

I know friends who've stayed in Mission Gate for many years and were quite satisfied. The occupants may be predominantly south Asian (Indian) in Mission Gate.

Old 06-30-2019, 06:48 PM

319 posts, read 228,651 times
Out of curiosity, is your salary changing?

Old 07-01-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeVilley View Post
Out of curiosity, is your salary changing?
Staying the same... Out of curiosity, do you work for JPMC?

Old 07-01-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea0337 View Post
Both the above apartments were built in the late 90s.

I know friends who've stayed in Mission Gate for many years and were quite satisfied. The occupants may be predominantly south Asian (Indian) in Mission Gate.
Thanks for this information.

Old 07-02-2019, 06:48 AM

Default RE agent

By the way, can anyone please recommend a good real estate agent who also deals in rentals.

Old 07-02-2019, 10:05 AM

158 posts, read 181,181 times
Quote:
Thanks for this information.
You're welcome.

Another FYI, and someone may have touched upon this already:

Assuming you find an apartment on your own, when you sign the lease and are asked who referred you, make sure to have the name of a apartment locator handy. You can google for them and find one who will kick back about $250-$350 to you, for mentioning their name.

It's not a fortune, but that's easy money for a couple of google searches!

Old 07-02-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea0337 View Post
You're welcome.

Another FYI, and someone may have touched upon this already:

Assuming you find an apartment on your own, when you sign the lease and are asked who referred you, make sure to have the name of a apartment locator handy. You can google for them and find one who will kick back about $250-$350 to you, for mentioning their name.

It's not a fortune, but that's easy money for a couple of google searches!
Thank you for this nugget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: