Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 07:46 AM

313 posts, read 367,881 times

Advertisements

Consider Dallas International School. Small and they are encouraged to learn other languages. My friend's son went there. Played soccer and got into USC with full ride and decided to attend West Point. We did summer programs there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2019, 08:46 AM

19,778 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
Given what you are trying to accomplish, I would probably put both kids at Alcuin. Personal attention, not sports obsessed for your son. Honestly, it’s probably your best chance for getting both kids into the same school and preserving optionality for the future. Most schools just don’t have any space for the years you are applying to. Alcuin has the benefit of mixed age classrooms so from what I understand they can be more flexible than some schools. Not to say they will make that exception in your case, but I know several families they have worked with to solve unique private school logistical issues (for lack of a longer explanation). It’s a great place to apply from in later years, or you may like it and decide to stay through 12th.
Excellent post.

Old 09-26-2019, 10:28 AM

14 posts, read 16,218 times
Thanks for the Alcuin info. I only have one friend whose kids went there, and they left. I'll definitely look into it. And DIS looks amazing, but I don't think I want to stress out my kids with being taught mostly in French as they know very little. It looks like a great option for HS with the IB. We think we will be in the Dallas area for 2-5 years, but who knows? That said, we are planning for short-term.

So, my current list is:
Alcuin
Westwood Montessori
Covenant (Based on a friend's recommendation but it seems a little too close-minded from what I have heard here.)
TCA (We have close friends there but I'm thinking it's too competitive and narrow.)
POP Catholic
POP Christian school (Honestly, I cannot tell the POP schools apart so I will look at both. They both sound good.)
Parish (Though we won't get in, I want to look at it because I think it looks like a great place otherwise.)
All Saints (Know nothing about it but a friend recommended it who lives in that neighborhood.)

If I am missing a great option that is realistic for 2020-21 school year, please let me know! Thanks, everyone.

Old 09-26-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonBee View Post
Thanks for the Alcuin info. I only have one friend whose kids went there, and they left. I'll definitely look into it. And DIS looks amazing, but I don't think I want to stress out my kids with being taught mostly in French as they know very little. It looks like a great option for HS with the IB. We think we will be in the Dallas area for 2-5 years, but who knows? That said, we are planning for short-term.

So, my current list is:
Alcuin
Westwood Montessori
Covenant (Based on a friend's recommendation but it seems a little too close-minded from what I have heard here.)
TCA (We have close friends there but I'm thinking it's too competitive and narrow.)
POP Catholic
POP Christian school (Honestly, I cannot tell the POP schools apart so I will look at both. They both sound good.)
Parish (Though we won't get in, I want to look at it because I think it looks like a great place otherwise.)
All Saints (Know nothing about it but a friend recommended it who lives in that neighborhood.)

If I am missing a great option that is realistic for 2020-21 school year, please let me know! Thanks, everyone.
Word of warning. If you believe TCA is too competitive you need to strike POP Catholic and maybe a couple of the others.

Old 09-26-2019, 10:58 AM

14 posts, read 16,218 times
To clarify: socially competitive. That stereotypical "Dallas" stuff that I can't articulate but I think you probably all know what I mean. I'm comfortable being the only mom in Birkenstocks with no Botox, but I'd prefer not to be. I really just want the best place for my kids where they can be happy and learn.

Old 09-26-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonBee View Post
To clarify: socially competitive. That stereotypical "Dallas" stuff that I can't articulate but I think you probably all know what I mean. I'm comfortable being the only mom in Birkenstocks with no Botox, but I'd prefer not to be. I really just want the best place for my kids where they can be happy and learn.
Oh, I get it. Sorry for misunderstanding.

For the record I love Birkenstocks. I'm aware of no other sandal that has legit arch support, I'm a big guy and good shoes are a must.

Old 09-26-2019, 11:35 AM

128 posts, read 231,534 times
Lamplighter is a great elementary school, goes up to 5th grade.

Old 09-26-2019, 01:19 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,777,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoy View Post
Lamplighter is a great elementary school, goes up to 5th grade.
It’s a great school, maybe someone with more experience there knows whether they typically have space. I would have thought most kids who make it to 1st grade there (as in, not transferring to SMS or Hock) tend to stay through 4th, and then exit. But maybe I am wrong. It might be more “socially competitive” than OP is looking for especially compared with somewhere like, say, Westwood. But I wouldn’t think to an insufferable degree. Perhaps my tolerance for people like that is higher than others.

Old 09-26-2019, 01:57 PM

792 posts, read 1,221,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Oh, I get it. Sorry for misunderstanding.

For the record I love Birkenstocks. I'm aware of no other sandal that has legit arch support, I'm a big guy and good shoes are a must.

Chaco

Old 09-26-2019, 02:03 PM

792 posts, read 1,221,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Texas public schools need waivers to be over 24 (I think) kids.

TC80 you are a vast fount of knowledge on an amazing array of subjects. I honestly don't know how you keep it all straight. Since I happen to have recent info on this from HPISD rezoning please allow me to share a slight edit..

HPISD said in the meetings they need a waiver for more than 22 kids per class. They can automatically get a waiver up to 24 kids per class as long as at least 1 class per grade has fewer than 24 students. I would assume this applies to all districts...only mentioning HP because that is the meeting where I heard this. This is very minute detail, I know...but you seem so adept at minute details on so many topics that I thought you might like to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: