Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 11:29 AM

14 posts, read 16,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryPlaza View Post
I have been following this post for the past few weeks. If you are considering POP Christian School, I would definitely add Prestonwood Christian Academy to the list. Don't believe what others say about how religious the school may or may not be. Set up a visit / tour and see for yourself.
Full disclosure: I grew up in Dallas (graduated from Pearce) and I have hard time wrapping my head around sending my kids to PCA. Could you tell me more about it? The only people I know whose kids attend there aren't people whose input I would seek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2019, 11:32 AM

14 posts, read 16,274 times
So, kind of a tangent: Do all of the area "Christian" schools require people to sign a Statement of Faith or some kind of "We believe in Jesus" statement? I mean, we are believers and we go to church but this seems a little religious to me and it turns me off. (I just assume the Episcopal schools don't - we are at one now.) Is this a big deal, or do people just expect they will be doing this? I'd love some insight as we haven't encountered this before.

Old 10-04-2019, 12:30 PM

419 posts, read 554,469 times
If you are going to consider montessori's you might look at Archgate. Its been around 30 years (used to be Montessori New Beginnings) I only suggest because it is right in West Plano, methodology of meeting children where they are, and solid academics. It does have a quiet reputation as a feeder to the elites, if that is what parents are after. Might be a good option in a non-expansion year.

Old 10-04-2019, 12:44 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,783,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonBee View Post
So, kind of a tangent: Do all of the area "Christian" schools require people to sign a Statement of Faith or some kind of "We believe in Jesus" statement? I mean, we are believers and we go to church but this seems a little religious to me and it turns me off. (I just assume the Episcopal schools don't - we are at one now.) Is this a big deal, or do people just expect they will be doing this? I'd love some insight as we haven't encountered this before.
Short answer is some do and some don’t. Some want a recommendation from your pastor (or fill in other faith leader title). The Catholic schools make you sign something that basically says you won’t show up with protest signs, but to my knowledge that’s mostly a formality. They need you to sign it so if your kid tries to start a satan worship club, they have clean cause to kick you out but we have known people of other faiths at the Catholic schools and the school often asks them to help with compare/contrast in their theology classes. You are correct about the Episcopal schools. The more conservative places you have to be careful. A previous poster said PCA is not as bad as you might think, but everything is relative. The reality is it’s a very conservative place by any reasonable use of the word.

Old 10-04-2019, 01:12 PM

56 posts, read 62,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonBee View Post
Full disclosure: I grew up in Dallas (graduated from Pearce) and I have hard time wrapping my head around sending my kids to PCA. Could you tell me more about it? The only people I know whose kids attend there aren't people whose input I would seek.

I totally understand where you are coming from as I also "grew up" in Dallas and get why you would have a hard time wrapping your head around sending your kids to PCA. Not trying to get you to change your mind or send your kids to PCA. Just asking you to be open minded about the school choices as I was closed minded as well about PCA, but turns out it was the right choice for my kids. I will DM you with more details around why my "view" has changed.

Old 10-04-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersguy100 View Post
Short answer is some do and some don’t. Some want a recommendation from your pastor (or fill in other faith leader title). The Catholic schools make you sign something that basically says you won’t show up with protest signs, but to my knowledge that’s mostly a formality. They need you to sign it so if your kid tries to start a satan worship club, they have clean cause to kick you out but we have known people of other faiths at the Catholic schools and the school often asks them to help with compare/contrast in their theology classes. You are correct about the Episcopal schools. The more conservative places you have to be careful. A previous poster said PCA is not as bad as you might think, but everything is relative. The reality is it’s a very conservative place by any reasonable use of the word.

I didn't state that PCA "is not as bad as you might think." I ask that the OP be open minded and try to not allow the past or experiences with a few to determine the future. I had a horrible experience at PBC as a single adult, but as Plano has become more diverse, so has the church and their views. When we were looking for schools, the negative experience as a single adult clouded my view of the school. Don't get my wrong I am sure there still a few "bad apples" among their flock. Without going into to a lot of detail, some of the other "Christian" schools, further north, were very nasty and PCA accommodated. Just saying that in the end, turned out to be the best place for our family but I was very closed minded in the about PCA during our search.

Old 10-05-2019, 09:01 PM

94 posts, read 288,254 times
There is no statement of faith required for POP Christian.

Old 10-06-2019, 07:13 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,185,366 times
PCA and POP are good schools, well-liked by families sending children there. I recommend one or two visits to every school, you want a child to attend. If you are sending your child and your hard earned money to a private institution, make sure it’s really worth it. If not enough value there then take advantage of good public schools and save money for best college they can qualify for.

Old 10-09-2019, 04:13 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,448,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryPlaza View Post
I totally understand where you are coming from as I also "grew up" in Dallas and get why you would have a hard time wrapping your head around sending your kids to PCA. Not trying to get you to change your mind or send your kids to PCA. Just asking you to be open minded about the school choices as I was closed minded as well about PCA, but turns out it was the right choice for my kids. I will DM you with more details around why my "view" has changed.

Glad you found something of value there.

I have not been impressed (in the quality of education or students).

Old 10-09-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Glad you found something of value there.

I have not been impressed (in the quality of education or students).

I totally understand and get your perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: