Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2020, 11:17 PM

451 posts, read 319,783 times

Advertisements

Dallas county adds 5 more cases to its tally bringing the total cases till date to 15. New 5 cases are in stable condition and quarantined in their own homes.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbc...2331613/%3famp

Old 03-17-2020, 12:51 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
Please don't tell me what to do, we can make our own decisions and not all have to agree. I have a better chance of being in a car accident and dying right now than getting this virus.

My point is there is many who taking this head on and not sitting at home panicked. I think most of us will get it or a strain eventually, and think containment is pointless.
Containment is not pointless. It is the only thing that will keep our hospitals from *possibly* not being overwhelmed.

It’s not about you getting it; it’s about who you {unknowingly} pass it to. And what happens to all of them.

Old 03-17-2020, 03:09 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,233,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
Please don't tell me what to do, we can make our own decisions and not all have to agree. I have a better chance of being in a car accident and dying right now than getting this virus.

My point is there is many who taking this head on and not sitting at home panicked. I think most of us will get it or a strain eventually, and think containment is pointless.

So... when you go out driving, are you actively looking to get into a car accident? That's basically your reasoning when comparing it to this virus.

Old 03-17-2020, 05:07 AM

Correction: It is not 85% of us will have mild symptoms; it is 85% of people who get infected will have either mild or no symptoms and will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDContribuitor View Post
New guidance is to restrict events and social gatherings to not more than 10 people. If a social gathering could be avoided completely, please avoid. Note that 85 % of us will have mild symptoms and will be fine. The restriction for social gatherings is to ensure that if we get infected, we do not spread it to our parents/grand-parents or someone with a compromised immune system. You may have mild or no symptoms and you can still infect your parent/grand-parent/loved one. The immediate objective is to protect our senior citizens and health-care professionals.

Old 03-17-2020, 05:56 AM

3,834 posts, read 4,437,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I just can’t with people like you. There ARE people on respirators who were healthy before contracting this. You are not immune. Nor invincible.

#staythe****home
To all you small government lovers, it’s people like MA that dictate the need for a big, bad government to keep everyone in line. The incredible arrogance and complete disregard for others.

He/she reminds me of the NBA player Rudy Gobert. For those of you who don’t know, like MA, he too pooh poohed the seriousness of the virus, showing this by going out of his way to rub his hands on a bunch of microphones and equipment that had been set up for his press conference. We later found out he also ran around the team locker room touching everything in sight, again to prove the virus was an “overreaction”

Fast forward to today, HE has tested positive for the virus, he also infected at least one other teammate as well as a player on an opposing team. He was the catalyst that sparked the decision to suspend not only the rest of the NBA season, but also the NCAA, NHL and several other sporting events. All because he was a pigheaded moron.

I wish we could lock MA, Gobert, Limbaugh and all the other “hoaxers” in a room together while the grownups save the rest of us from unnecessary infections.

Old 03-17-2020, 06:08 AM

Not sure how legit this is since this is from TMZ, but apparently San Francisco has implemented the first official city wide curfew in America. Possibly more cities to follow?

https://www.tmz.com/2020/03/16/san-f...vUOd-wux4hP_5U

Old 03-17-2020, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GigiTer View Post
Most school districts will be moving to on-line so not really ending the school year. It will be difficult for many families on many different levels.
This.
Wylie ISD (my school district) sent out an email about this. They are closed this week but if the situation does not improve by the end of this week (highly unlikely), then the district will move to online school. Apparently the district has the resources to provide pretty much every child with chrome books. There may be an issue with families who do not have internet access, but that is going to be a much smaller group and arrangements will be made for them.

I'm glad because I have a senior who is supposed to graduate in May so she needs to get through the semester. Of course, college is going to be a whole other issue in a few months if this virus is still an issue through the summer, but we will cross that bridge when we get to it. one thing at a time.

Old 03-17-2020, 06:56 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,211,278 times
Last night Crowley ISD emailed out a link to a YouTube to a video of the superintendent rolling out the district's online learning website. On it are lessons for each day. There are two things I like about it: Each day assigns 60 minutes of physical activity and one self care/mental wellness activity. There's reading time every day and they included links to short stories for the kids who don't have access to books. They have some sort of plan for distributing worksheet versions to those who don't have Internet access. They also are offering drive through meals 3 times a day to those who need it at locations across the district. Given the fact that the school district isn't wealthy, I'm pleased with their response so far.

My younger son goes to a tech savvy K-8 private school that already had a middle school distance learning plan for snow days. They met yesterday to create a whole school plan. I received an email early today from his teachers that included links to their online learning tools and instructions for accessing Google Classroom. Every morning he has to attend a Zoom homeroom meeting where his teacher will explain the day's assignments.

Old 03-17-2020, 07:14 AM

Why outbreaks like coronavirus spread exponentially, and how to “flatten the curve”.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...ona-simulator/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Containment is not pointless. It is the only thing that will keep our hospitals from *possibly* not being overwhelmed.

It’s not about you getting it; it’s about who you {unknowingly} pass it to. And what happens to all of them.

Old 03-17-2020, 07:27 AM

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/03...updates-texas/

As of March 15, there were 68 known coronavirus cases in Texas. Relatively speaking, in comparison to other parts of the nation, the spread of the virus in Texas seems to be under control. When I say this, I am taking into account the number of reported coronavirus related deaths, which has been 1 until date.
The Texas Tribune is tracking the total number of positively identified COVID-19 cases in Texas by county. This data will be updated daily when the Texas Department of State Health Services releases the latest numbers, which may lag behind local news reports. There are likely more unconfirmed cases, given that there are examples of community spread and limited testing capacity. Community spread occurs when the source of infection is unknown.

As of March 15 at noon, there were at least 68 coronavirus cases in Texas.
County Community spread Number of cases
Bell 1
Bexar 3
Brazoria yes 2
Collin 6
Dallas yes 8
El Paso 1
Fort Bend 9
Galveston 1
Gregg 1
Harris 10
Hays 1
Lackland Air Force Base * 12
Lavaca 1
Matagorda yes 1
Montgomery yes 3
Smith 4
Tarrant 3
Travis 1
Statewide 68
* Hundreds of American evacuees from China and cruise ships have been quarantined at the base in Bexar County.
Note: County indicates county of residence, except for Lackland cases. Patients may be undergoing treatment at facilities in other counties.
Sources: Texas Department of State Health Services and U.S. Centers for Disease Control
Credit: Carla Astudillo, Mandi Cai, Darla Cameron, Chris Essig, Anna Novak

Gov. Greg Abbott says to expect "exponential" increase in cases
[3/16 2:55 p.m.] The number of Texans testing positive for the new coronavirus is likely to rise dramatically as the state's testing capacity ramps up and cases of community spread continue to climb, Gov. Greg Abbott said Monday.

"You're going to see an exponential increase in the number of people testing positive on a daily basis, " Abbott said at a press conference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas