Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2020, 01:35 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post

China has it under controlled, don't care what the speculations say about their numbers. Chinese social distancing was much more effective because Chinese are much more disciplined people in general. We have the worst of the bunch who have the don't give a **** mentality which will impact us all.
Well that and the government sealed them into their homes (apartments) so they couldn't get out if they tried.

Is that what you want here?

Old 04-04-2020, 01:42 PM

451 posts, read 319,783 times
I am posting an opinion here. This is for DFW residents as it is for anybody else in our nation. This is not speculative, so I will be surprised if this posting gets removed.
1) As individuals, we all need to focus on prevention. From my point of view, prevention or reducing considerably the chances of infection is better than cure. So, social distancing, increasing our personal immunity level through foods known for boosting immunity, and isolating within our homes, our relatives who are either senior citizens and/or individuals with medical conditions like heart conditions, are key measures that all of us can and should focus on.
2) Buying and wearing masks at this point is secondary. If we focus on the #1 above, we do not need to wear mask at least for this wave 1 of the pandemic. By not purchasing and hoarding masks, we will help our first responders get their masks that they so rightfully deserve and need. Also, the general public purchasing masks will just create a demand for masks from foreign companies, which I personally think, we should not do. If we as individuals DO NOT go after the masks, there may be a possibility that the demand from the current wave of the pandemic will be sufficed by the existing inventory nation-wide and will just need redeployment or transfer from one medical institution to another medical institution or a manufacturer/distributor to a medical institution. LET'S STOP URGING PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS OR WHO HAS NOT BEEN DIAGNOSED POSITIVE FOR CORONAVIRUS TO WEAR MASKS.
3) Let's stop speculating what is going to happen numbers-wise, because there is no models for the current virus that will accurately predict what is our trajectory going to be nation-wide OR within DFW. In my opinion, there are quite a number of factors that is going to affect the future numbers. I will not post any speculative posts from my end. Let's trust our local leaders and national task force to give us the right guidance. Please pay attention to the current numbers and data being presented by our local Dallas leaders like Judge Jenkins, Mayor Johnson, Congressman Colin Allred, etc and leaders in other counties within DFW.

REMEMBER - UNITED WE STAND.

Last edited by CDContribuitor; 04-04-2020 at 02:54 PM..

Old 04-04-2020, 01:44 PM

8,122 posts, read 3,663,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Well that and the government sealed them into their homes (apartments) so they couldn't get out if they tried.

Well, China handled it with draconian measures.
However, other countries e.g. Korea addressed it pretty well, with much less intrusion. They were smart about and fast, early on.

Old 04-04-2020, 01:45 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,409,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post

It's not what I want. It's what works to keep people from dying. If 2-3 weeks is what it takes, I'm in for it for the sake of humanity.

They have flattened the curve and have started their business as usual activities. A lesson to be learned here for the wise.

Old 04-04-2020, 02:15 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,233,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDContribuitor View Post
2) Buying and wearing masks at this point is secondary. If we focus on the #1 above, we do not need to wear mask at least for this wave 1 of the pandemic. By not purchasing and hoarding masks, we will help our first responders get their masks that they so rightfully deserve and need. Also, the general public purchasing masks will just create a demand for masks from foreign companies, which I personally think, we should not do. If we as individuals go after the masks, there may be a possibility that the demand from the current wave of the pandemic will be sufficed by the existing inventory nation-wide and will just need redeployment or transfer from one medical institution to another medical institution or a manufacturer/distributor to a medical institution. LET'S STOP URGING PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS OR WHO HAS NOT BEEN DIAGNOSED POSITIVE FOR CORONAVIRUS TO WEAR MASKS.

mod cut

Good luck finding a mask to buy locally... You won't. If you order online you may get some in a month. But everyone should be wearing a mask when they go out. Make one out of a tshirt, that has no bearing on hospitals or doctors having access to them. As I said before, hospitals aren't sending their staff out to Home Depot or Walmart to look for masks. If people find masks for sale, good for them, but most likely you won't see any stores stocking them anytime soon, as the government has largely directed their supplies to ship to the government and members of the healthcare system. Many people in my community are stepping up and sewing masks for people who do not have them. The latest CDC guidelines finally admit that even asymptomatic people breathing can spread this thing, and that if you are going out grocery shopping or anywhere with the likelihood of being around people, you should be wearing a mask.

Last edited by Acntx; 04-04-2020 at 03:36 PM.. Reason: personal attack/rude

Old 04-04-2020, 02:19 PM

I request moderators to not delete this posting since it is relevant for DFW residents -

Captialprophets - You are believing the numbers we are seeing from Chinese government i.e. 3000 deaths. There are reports coming from people and organizations inside China that the number of deaths was actually 40000+ and not 3000 that worldometers, bing, other sites are reporting. Worldometers started reporting the official numbers earlier than all others, and they ended up being the "source of truth" for other sites.

The following was reported by foreignpolicy.com.
https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/04/01...se-xi-jinping/

Source and Owner of the site: Foreign Policy magazine and ForeignPolicy.com are published by The FP Group, a division of Graham Holdings Company (formerly The Washington Post Company).

Now the justification for why this post should remain here and not be deleted, because I think it is relevant for DFW residents, who think Chinese government did well in containing the virus. If the numbers from Chinese government being reported officially is not accurate (to the extent of 7.5% of the actual number) , that is very serious in my opinion, because the official data i.e. 3000 deaths, has led to subsequent actions by the governments all over the world. If there was misleading information including demographics affected (information was that only people with 60+ years of age are affected, our US numbers show that 40% of hospitalizations are for people of ages between 20 and 55), symptoms, and number of deaths (reported 3000 vs the actual 40000), our initial actions here and the rest of the world were misguided. In my opinion, that led to a lot of confusion on our end to begin with here in US, as to how to react to this virus.

What-if scenario: What if the number of official deaths in China was accurately reported as 40000 in Feb 1st week, what would have been our immediate US action at that point? Close down the US in the 2nd week of February for 2 to 3 weeks? Would that have led to a much better outcome for us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
It's not what I want. It's what works to keep people from dying. If 2-3 weeks is what it takes, I'm in for it for the sake of humanity.

They have flattened the curve and have started their business as usual activities. A lesson to be learned here for the wise.

Last edited by CDContribuitor; 04-04-2020 at 03:35 PM..

Old 04-04-2020, 02:51 PM

8,122 posts, read 3,663,787 times
Quote:
I request moderators to not delete this posting since it is relevant for DFW residents -

Captialprophets - You are believing the numbers we are seeing from Chinese government i.e. 3000 deaths. There are reports coming from people and organizations inside China that the number of deaths was actually 400000+ and not 3000 that worldometers, bing, other sites are reporting. Worldometers started reporting the official numbers earlier than all others, and they ended up being the "source of truth" for other sites.

The following was reported by foreignpolicy.com.
https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/04/01...se-xi-jinping/

Source and Owner of the site: Foreign Policy magazine and ForeignPolicy.com are published by The FP Group, a division of Graham Holdings Company (formerly The Washington Post Company).

Now the justification for why this post should remain here and not be deleted, because I think it is relevant for DFW residents, who think Chinese government did well in containing the virus. If the numbers from Chinese government being reported officially is not accurate (to the extent of 7.5% of the actual number) , that is very serious in my opinion, because the official data i.e. 3000 deaths, has led to subsequent actions by the governments all over the world. If there was misleading information including demographics affected (information was that only people with 60+ years of age are affected, our US numbers show that 40% of hospitalizations are for people of ages between 20 and 55), symptoms, and number of deaths (reported 3000 vs the actual 40000), our initial actions here and the rest of the world were misguided. In my opinion, that led to a lot of confusion on our end to begin with here in US, as to how to react to this virus.

What-if scenario: What if the number of official deaths in China was accurately reported as 40000 in Feb 1st week, what would have been our immediate US action at that point? Close down the US in the 2nd week of February for 2 to 3 weeks? Would that have led to a much better outcome for us?
At this point this is just a pure speculation (btw, you have listed two numbers differing by an order of magnitude). The fact is extreme draconian measures do work in cases like this. And they have experience from previous outbreaks.

And in regards to confusion, as I said, there was no confusion in Korea, they acted immediately, in January, knowing very well what will happen if they don't.

Old 04-04-2020, 03:07 PM

Sorry, in my original post, I meant - If we as individuals DO NOT go for the masks (and not "If we as individuals, go for the masks)....... I agree with your idea wholeheartedly about making a mask for yourself at home and wearing it, a scarf or a bandana, when going grocery shopping, etc, so that we can leave whatever masks are available in the market for the health professionals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
mod cut

Good luck finding a mask to buy locally... You won't. If you order online you may get some in a month. But everyone should be wearing a mask when they go out. Make one out of a tshirt, that has no bearing on hospitals or doctors having access to them. As I said before, hospitals aren't sending their staff out to Home Depot or Walmart to look for masks. If people find masks for sale, good for them, but most likely you won't see any stores stocking them anytime soon, as the government has largely directed their supplies to ship to the government and members of the healthcare system. Many people in my community are stepping up and sewing masks for people who do not have them. The latest CDC guidelines finally admit that even asymptomatic people breathing can spread this thing, and that if you are going out grocery shopping or anywhere with the likelihood of being around people, you should be wearing a mask.

Last edited by Acntx; 04-04-2020 at 03:36 PM..

Old 04-04-2020, 03:37 PM

Corrected the number to 40000 deaths number in the original post. Agree on the South Korean numbers reported and measures they took. Also, I believe all the information that South Korean govt provided. South Korean measures were not the same as the Chinese govt measures and it worked for them. South Koreans relied heavily on mass testing, quarantining positive cases and tracing sources for almost all positive cases to identify others affected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
At this point this is just a pure speculation (btw, you have listed two numbers differing by an order of magnitude). The fact is extreme draconian measures do work in cases like this. And they have experience from previous outbreaks.

And in regards to confusion, as I said, there was no confusion in Korea, they acted immediately, in January, knowing very well what will happen if they don't.

Old 04-04-2020, 03:47 PM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Corrected the number to 40000 deaths number in the original post. Agree on the South Korean numbers reported and measures they took. Also, I believe all the information that South Korean govt provided. South Korean measures were not the same as the Chinese govt measures and it worked for them. South Koreans relied heavily on mass testing, quarantining positive cases and tracing sources for almost all positive cases to identify others affected.

Also washing and wearing masks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas