Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2020, 04:20 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,309,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
I think there's a difference between going to large crowded venues and say, letting orthodontists and dentists get back to seeing patients.
Exactly. We won’t be hopping on a plane to go to 30A mid-May but I assume it will be safe for my husband to return back to his office and for us to reopen our business (albeit at a non-capacity level for the foreseeable future....*some* income is better than zero income especially if BI policies aren’t covering this).

Old 04-06-2020, 04:21 PM

451 posts, read 320,627 times
Agree. I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to boost our immune system, exercising regularly - in addition to social distancing, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
Safe and effective vaccine. Thats like having your cake and eat it too. Just keep your immune system up to par and you'll be fine.

Old 04-06-2020, 04:41 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,446,428 times
Quote:
I think there's a difference between going to large crowded venues and say, letting orthodontists and dentists get back to seeing patients.
Yeah some places like that will be able to ramp back up fairly quickly, but when people talk about "getting the economy started again" I'm pretty sure they are talking about a whole lot more than just dentists and orthodontists. I think a very large chunk of the economy is going to be extremely slow to recover regardless of when the restrictions are lifted. I'm talking about restaurants, bars, hotels, churches, barber shops/salons, movie theaters, malls, all many of shops, the list goes on and on. Some of my favorite restaurants are Mediterranean buffets in Richardson. No chance of me going to either one for a long time.

Oddly enough, my boss says his girlfriend who works for a homebuilder has been going into work every day. They are busy as heck right now. This virus has NOT slowed down the homebuilding industry whatsoever. Apparently they are selling homes like crazy even now.

Old 04-06-2020, 04:54 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,076,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbather View Post
I don't see a month here. Somewhere 10+ weeks until things can relax to some degree (and note that is NOT back to normal). We're going to drop slower than we rose - I don't see a symmetrical drop. Just my gut.

Always open to good data proving otherwise, but nothing I have seen indicates 4-6 weeks from today.

Even if shelter in place was removed in 4-6 weeks, I definitely wouldn't be going anywhere non-essential for another 2 months at least.
So July 1? You think the country / economy can stay shut down until July 1?

Old 04-06-2020, 05:00 PM

28,678 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Most of us are not rich enough to wait for that to happen. We need an economy before that can happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I don’t think it’s realistic to shelter in place until 2021...
Quote:
There is a significant cost to lives that would occur if we had to stay in quarantine for another year to 18 months.

I'm telling you what it means. The experts have been lying by omission all along, not really spelling out the consequences of the bits of information they dribble out to the public.

For instance, they are saying now that everyone should be wearing masks in public, but in fact that should have been obvious from the very beginning, even in view of what they were saying at the time.

By saying, "Only the infected should wear masks" and by also saying "people may be infectious for two or more weeks without symptoms," then obviously they should have been saying all along, "everyone should wear masks."

They're smart enough to have figured that out then (I did), but they wouldn't say so then. They're saying it now. What has changed? Nothing.

The contagion environment on April 30 will be just as dangerous as the contagion environment on February 29. If we drop infection mitigation efforts on May 1, the curve can go exponential from that date just as could have from March 1.

They're not saying that today, but they'll say it on April 30.

Old 04-06-2020, 05:23 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,561,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Reaching the peak only means the current level of shelter-in-place is being effective and should continue until there is a vaccine.
I keep seeing this attitude pop up online and with relatives (usually older). The point is to flatten the curve, not completely eliminate it. That was never on the table. If you shut down the economy that long, there will not be anything resembling our former society left to go back to! And that has mortality consequences too.

Old 04-06-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:

The contagion environment on April 30 will be just as dangerous as the contagion environment on February 29. If we drop infection mitigation efforts on May 1, the curve can go exponential from that date just as could have from March 1.

They're not saying that today, but they'll say it on April 30.
Regardless of the contagion environment, people in this country aren't going to sit at home with no jobs, no schools and no money for a year and a half.

Heck, they aren't staying at home NOW. Did you see the story about the gathering of 400 in Queens? And they are at the epicenter!

Inner city populations come July are going to be hot, bored, broke and angry. The social unrest will further destroy our economy and our society.

Keeping people quarantined and out of work may likely cause more deaths than the virus.

Even in Dallas.

ETA: we don't need a vaccine as much if we have successful pharmaceutical treatments.

Old 04-06-2020, 05:25 PM

28,678 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
I keep seeing this attitude pop up online and with relatives (usually older). The point is to flatten the curve, not completely eliminate it. That was never on the table. If you shut down the economy that long, there will not be anything resembling our former society left to go back to! And that has mortality consequences too.

The curve won't stay flat unless shelter-in-place continues. It can go exponential any time, anywhere, just as easily on May 1 as it could have on April 1.

Old 04-06-2020, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post

Well said. I completely agree. It doesn't help that Fauci has stated that he wants to keep the country shut down until there are 0 cases.

Old 04-06-2020, 05:40 PM

104 posts, read 90,606 times
Quote:
The curve won't stay flat unless shelter-in-place continues. It can go exponential any time, anywhere, just as easily on May 1 as it could have on April 1.
You are dreaming if you think we'll keep the economy shut down forever. Feel free to die of starvation, the rest of us will move on with life when the time is right with the right precautions in place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas