Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2020, 09:33 PM

1,122 posts, read 962,275 times

Advertisements

My daughter is flying out to Dallas to look at homes. Her husband is being transferred out to Carrollton to do IT work. He is out there now. Where is it safe to move? She has a friend who lives in Arlington and no problem. Also a friend in Flower Mound. Any recommendations? She will be meeting with the realtor on Thursday. Daughter is moving from California- will be a huge change as she is a California girl like her mom but they know they can get more for their money (housing) out there so that is a huge plus.

Lot's of Californians moving to Texas. We're not all bad. :-)

Many thanks for your help in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2020, 04:38 AM

11,856 posts, read 26,881,949 times
If she’s working in Carrollton, then she should look in Carrollton. There are many nice areas there, including nice apartments. Arlington is too far away, and so is Flower Mound. She would have a long commute from those two cities and would likely have to use an expensive toll road.

Rather than digging up an old thread, you’ll get more responses by starting a new one.

Old 10-09-2020, 01:43 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,487,736 times
I agree with the post above. If they have a job lined up in Carrollton, then they should be looking for places as close to Carrollton as possible.

Without any other information it’s difficult to give a good recommendation. I strongly suggest renting temporarily for anyone not familiar with the area.

Old 10-09-2020, 01:55 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Carrollton, Farmers Branch, Addison for moderately priced housing. Preston Hollow and Far North Dallas for more expensive.

Old 10-09-2020, 02:39 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,241,982 times
West Plano and South Frisco would be good options too if budget allows.

Old 10-10-2020, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
If she’s working in Carrollton, then she should look in Carrollton. There are many nice areas there, including nice apartments. Arlington is too far away, and so is Flower Mound. She would have a long commute from those two cities and would likely have to use an expensive toll road.

Rather than digging up an old thread, you’ll get more responses by starting a new one.

Hi Christie - it's my daughter's husband who will be working in Carrollton. My daughter flew out there to meet with realtor to look at homes. They are going out today. Her husband works in IT and was transferred out there.. No small children - daughter and son-in-law are in their late 40's. Their daughter is an adult so schools are not a deal breaker. They just want to find a home. They lost their son in 2018 so this move is a positive for them - leave behind memories and start a new. If that makes sense.

Just read in the news here out in Los Angeles that a Mayoral candidate in Carrollton was arrested for voter fraud. Egads.

Old 10-10-2020, 07:44 AM

11,856 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Carrollton is a nice city, and a good place to live. There are plenty of nice homes there, and it is safe. I have friends who live there. The surrounding cities that other posters mentioned are also great places to live. Please understand that the DFW area is HUGE, and making a long commute (such as from Arlington or Flower Mound) on a toll road wastes both time and money. Your daughter and her husband would be better off to live near his work and visit the friends on weekends.

Just because a mayoral candidate was arrested doesn’t make it a bad place.

Old 10-10-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Carrollton is a nice city, and a good place to live. There are plenty of nice homes there, and it is safe. I have friends who live there. The surrounding cities that other posters mentioned are also great places to live. Please understand that the DFW area is HUGE, and making a long commute (such as from Arlington or Flower Mound) on a toll road wastes both time and money. Your daughter and her husband would be better off to live near his work and visit the friends on weekends.

Just because a mayoral candidate was arrested doesn’t make it a bad place.

I was just speaking in general terms about the mayoral candidate. No judgement. :-)

Old 10-10-2020, 08:40 AM

468 posts, read 475,949 times
North Dallas area is very safe compared to most metros and especially compared to LA. No 18st, Asian boyz, rollin 60s or korean killers. Even ms 13 probably too busy gettin paid workin construction in this area. Even blm not causing too much traffic around here.

Just watch out for the poor foundation in Carrollton but otherwise, very good area if you dont need schools. And decent asian food, but nowhere compares to LA for that.

Old 10-10-2020, 07:33 PM

Realtor took them out to Rockwall today. They fell in love with the area. They do want a pool as that is a must. Plano has some nice homes - I have been looking online. They just called me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas