Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 09:21 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,103,938 times

Advertisements

Is water wet.......?

Old 02-24-2021, 12:44 PM

282 posts, read 114,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
I went to Manhattan on a business trip 2 years ago. I saw fewer Indians in the stores, streets and Central Park. Plano and Frisco had more Indians in the stores, parks, and restaurants.
Newport is their Plano and Edison.

Old 02-24-2021, 12:57 PM

79 posts, read 74,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huihuihiuhuihiu View Post
Hello People, I am thinking of relocating to DFW soon, and was wondering if the population there is visible.
By visible I mean when out and about in parks, grocery, libraries, gyms, etc will I be the only one standing out since I am a Pakistani/Indian man?? I dont want everyone to stare at me or make anyone feel uncomfortable, I am coming from NYC where you see every different type of person a day so nobody stands out wondering how it is for DFW especially looking at Plano, Frisco area

Thank you everyone
Have been living in DFW for 9 years (mostly in Farmers Branch area) and I wear hijab. Haven’t had any issues so far.

Old 02-24-2021, 01:48 PM

26 posts, read 31,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pisekar View Post
Have been living in DFW for 9 years (mostly in Farmers Branch area) and I wear hijab. Haven’t had any issues so far.
would you say hijab is common, and have you noticed any staring or people being rude to you? Im saying this because im kind of worried seeing these things on the news like the anti mosque protests and what not

Old 02-24-2021, 02:01 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,053,976 times
Quote:
would you say hijab is common, and have you noticed any staring or people being rude to you? Im saying this because im kind of worried seeing these things on the news like the anti mosque protests and what not
I want you to wear the hijab to the country bar

Old 02-24-2021, 02:52 PM

625 posts, read 668,408 times
Quote:
I am seeing that Plano and Frisco have high populations of Asians, however the other places you mentioned seem to have very low Asian populations, and I would assume S Asians would be even lower.

Just wondering since a lot of my friends have said white supremacy is widespread in North Texas and the south in general since it being full with Trump loving rednecks with huge guns, and I wouldn't be able to live a month in DFW without awkward staring and people being racist Also, these articles scared the hell out of me especially since I have never seen a gun before.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2017...slamic-center/

https://www.npr.org/2015/12/07/45881...ept-11-climate

If this is the behavior Native Texans have with Muslims, You bet it would be similar if not the same with Hindus.
These two articles are from 2015 and 2017. Not that is that long ago, but these are not frequent occurrences. I suspect these protestors aren't even from Dallas. Its pretty common for more rural racists to come into the big "liberal" city when they want to demonstrate.

I almost feel like you are a troll - you are hearing from people who live here, from all of the city (I'm urban) to many surbanites on this board. Everyone is telling you that while definitely not perfect - a backlash to SE Asians is not normal here. In fact, many SE Asians are constantly on this board from other areas of the country (e.g., San Francisco) that are moving to DFW for its welcoming and strong SE Asian identity.

Old 02-24-2021, 04:47 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,535,469 times
Agree this poster seems like a troll. They resurrected a not quite zombie but old thread asking about discrimination. I completely understand wanting to ask some questions but a simple search of Dallas or FW forum tells you there are a ton of S Asians here, mostly in Coppell/Irving/VR/Frisco/Plano, and they can fit right in if they want or find a majority community if that's what they are looking for. Nothing to see here... it is the consensus of nearly every post of this topic. Like it should be a sticky!

Old 02-24-2021, 05:23 PM

79 posts, read 74,669 times
Quote:
I moved here from Midwest. It is definetely more common compared to that. I see people wearing hijab occasionally, but not that often. I am a first generation immigrant, I have lots of friends at other cities including NY. I know people has lots of ideas about south in general, sometimes they exaggerate. I worked at several places including Dallas veteran hospital, never had people rude to me. However, not sure how much you can generalize my experience to your situation. I am a mother with little kids, so I don't go to bars I also don't use public transportation etc. Overall, I feel myself comfortable in Dallas. I feel it is more family-oriented. I like to be around other religious people (as long as they are open minded).

Old 02-24-2021, 08:18 PM

213 posts, read 239,896 times
As a fellow desi, I have a lot to say, a lot. In one simple sentence, however, you are very wrong about assuming everything about DFW area.

Old 02-24-2021, 09:49 PM

26 posts, read 31,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkett View Post
As a fellow desi, I have a lot to say, a lot. In one simple sentence, however, you are very wrong about assuming everything about DFW area.
I figured lol, I was told a lot from my NY friends, apparently i'm a "troll" for generalizing so much

However, its still the south, and apart from two counties all red, so I assume the MAGA crowd is still there in larger numbers than people would like to assume
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas