Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 10:23 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,711,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Sherman growing by 20k people over 10 years will EASILY be achieved, they're already growing by more than 2k people per year and their population was 40-42k in 2019, and it's 46k in 2020. So if you don't think they'll be at 65k or so in a decade... well, you clearly haven't been tracking the growth in NTX very long.
Even going with your numbers in this post, your math is still off.

1. Sherman's 2010 population was 38K in 2010. If it had been consistently growing by more than 2K per year this past decade, the population now would be considerably higher than 46K.

2. The population increasing form 46K to 65K in 2030 would only be a ~40% growth rate (not 50%).

Quote:
Melissa and Anna have to DRIVE to "every type of retail store you can think of." Sherman currently has more of them within its borders than they do.
The tone of your post seemed to imply that the people in Melissa and Anna didn't have easy access to plenty of retail. If that was your implication, it's not true.

And in 10 years from now, given the much higher rate of growth and the higher income of their residents, I fully expect more retail development to occur in Melissa/Anna once the economy recovers. White Street in Anna is already practically built up with restaurants and smaller strip malls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2021, 12:36 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,243,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Even going with your numbers in this post, your math is still off.

1. Sherman's 2010 population was 38K in 2010. If it had been consistently growing by more than 2K per year this past decade, the population now would be considerably higher than 46K.

2. The population increasing form 46K to 65K in 2030 would only be a ~40% growth rate (not 50%).

The tone of your post seemed to imply that the people in Melissa and Anna didn't have easy access to plenty of retail. If that was your implication, it's not true.

And in 10 years from now, given the much higher rate of growth and the higher income of their residents, I fully expect more retail development to occur in Melissa/Anna once the economy recovers. White Street in Anna is already practically built up with restaurants and smaller strip malls.

You need to practice your reading skills... I never said Sherman has been growing by over 2k people per year the entire decade... that just started the last year or two. In 2010, they were hardly growing at all... because that's when Prosper and Celina starting booming.

As far as the numbers goes, those are subjective without a definitive census. I used numbers that actually would show less of a percentage gain, using 46k current population. Some sites say 42-44k. The fact that you're suddenly splitting hairs between 50% growth and seeing that 40% growth is easily possible means you really didn't have a clue what you wrote to begin with.

As for the tone of my post, I have lived in the area for far longer than you I'm guessing. You made the statement that Melissa/Anna residents have easy access to retail... sure they do, but they have to drive FARTHER than someone in Sherman would to have to go to a Best Buy or a Home Depot. You can look that up if you like. Anna has ~13k people... until they get more, they aren't going to get more retail in town than a city like Sherman does with over 3 times the people. Melissa has about 10k people, same deal for them.

Old 03-02-2021, 02:21 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,711,672 times
Quote:
...I never said Sherman has been growing by over 2k people per year the entire decade. that just started the last year or two...
Frankly, it's intellectually dishonest to extrapolate a city's growth rate based on q 1 or 2-year blip (your words) for the entirely of another decade, which is what you're doing if you think Sherman's going to add another ~20K people by 2030.

Quote:
...As far as the numbers goes, those are subjective without a definitive census...
And yet, here you are in this thread trying to extrapolate Sherman's growth over the next decade based on those "subjective" (your word) numbers...

Quote:
...The fact that you're suddenly splitting hairs between 50% growth and seeing that 40% growth is easily possible means you really didn't have a clue what you wrote to begin with.
It's not splitting hairs. It's a difference of several thousands people, which for a city as small as Sherman is a big deal.

Quote:
...You made the statement that Melissa/Anna residents have easy access to retail... sure they do, but they have to drive FARTHER than someone in Sherman would to have to go to a Best Buy or a Home Depot....
I'm not sure what's your issue with driving. DFW is a sprawling, car-centric metro area in Texas. Everyone has to drive, many driving long distances.

The point isn't that people in Melissa/Anna have to drive a little further for retail. The point is, they're not going without in terms of necessities and luxuries because they must drive a little further for retail (for now).

Quote:
...Anna has ~13k people... until they get more, they aren't going to get more retail in town than a city like Sherman does with over 3 times the people. Melissa has about 10k people, same deal for them...
Sherman has more retail now because it's an older and more established city. But Melissa/Anna both have higher incomes and are growing far more rapidly. Last I checked, combined they're logging nearly 2K new home permits per year (how many new housing permits has Sherman had?). It'll only be a matter of time before they attract more retail of their own, and I expected to happen long before Sherman grows by 50% in a decade.

Old 03-02-2021, 03:14 PM

588 posts, read 487,237 times
Quote:
Nah, McKinney was middle of nowhere in the 80's and 90's, Plano was adjacent to Allen and Richardson development.
I know but Dallas lovers still insisted that everything outside of the loop is boonies, even though Plano shares borders with Dallas. Now my McKinney, Frisco, Lucas, Allen friends insist Dallas is too far. Plano was and still is the sweetest spot to have access to both sides.

Old 03-02-2021, 03:42 PM

5,265 posts, read 6,409,031 times
Quote:
Now my McKinney, Frisco, Lucas, Allen friends insist Dallas is too far.
Stonebridge Ranch in McKinney was started in the late 1980s, but its growth has been much more measured and slow when compared to Plano (insanely fast in the 1980s-2000) or Frisco (insanely fast 2000-now).

Old 03-03-2021, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Frankly, it's intellectually dishonest to extrapolate a city's growth rate based on q 1 or 2-year blip (your words) for the entirely of another decade, which is what you're doing if you think Sherman's going to add another ~20K people by 2030.

And yet, here you are in this thread trying to extrapolate Sherman's growth over the next decade based on those "subjective" (your word) numbers...

It's not splitting hairs. It's a difference of several thousands people, which for a city as small as Sherman is a big deal.

I'm not sure what's your issue with driving. DFW is a sprawling, car-centric metro area in Texas. Everyone has to drive, many driving long distances.

The point isn't that people in Melissa/Anna have to drive a little further for retail. The point is, they're not going without in terms of necessities and luxuries because they must drive a little further for retail (for now).

Sherman has more retail now because it's an older and more established city. But Melissa/Anna both have higher incomes and are growing far more rapidly. Last I checked, combined they're logging nearly 2K new home permits per year (how many new housing permits has Sherman had?). It'll only be a matter of time before they attract more retail of their own, and I expected to happen long before Sherman grows by 50% in a decade.

LOL You aren't worth arguing with. You can look up the growth statistics for Sherman yourself, I'm not going to spoon feed you everything.

Old 03-03-2021, 07:53 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,445,576 times
The metroplex has come a long way when we can start arguing about which town is going to boom quicker. How many people had even heard of Anna or Melissa 20 years ago? I know I hadnt.

Old 03-03-2021, 08:07 PM

5,615 posts, read 4,945,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
The metroplex has come a long way when we can start arguing about which town is going to boom quicker. How many people had even heard of Anna or Melissa 20 years ago? I know I hadnt.
Heck, even Prosper and Celina?

Old 03-03-2021, 09:36 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,864,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Twenty years ago I had heard of Anna and Melissa AND Prosper and Celina. I had even been to those four towns.

Old 03-04-2021, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
Twenty years ago I had heard of Anna and Melissa AND Prosper and Celina. I had even been to those four towns.

You'd be one of the few. 20 years ago I had heard of Prosper, but only because it was widely known that Jerry Jones had bought up a ton of land up here.

In fact, the only towns/cities north of McKinney that were on most people's radar back then would be Sherman, as it was the last stop before Oklahoma (Denison hadn't grown enough for that yet), and Tioga, solely because of Clark's BBQ that was known for having the best BBQ in TX when Clark was still running things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas