Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 09:07 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,402,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
You'd be one of the few. 20 years ago I had heard of Prosper, but only because it was widely known that Jerry Jones had bought up a ton of land up here.
Celina has won a bunch of state titles in football and other sports at the 2A level, and is likely the town mentioned for sports in James McMurty's song Chocktaw Bingo. People have heard of it.

I think you need to back away from 'large numbers of people moving there' = having heard of it, as they aren't the same thing. Especially if you are talking only as far back in history as 2000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2021, 09:48 AM

5,612 posts, read 4,936,485 times
OK, but we're any of those towns part of the "places to move to" conversations 20 years ago?

Old 03-04-2021, 10:01 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,235,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Celina has won a bunch of state titles in football and other sports at the 2A level, and is likely the town mentioned for sports in James McMurty's song Chocktaw Bingo. People have heard of it.

I think you need to back away from 'large numbers of people moving there' = having heard of it, as they aren't the same thing. Especially if you are talking only as far back in history as 2000.

I didn't say anything about "large number of people moving there = having heard of it", so not sure where you got that idea.

I for one have never heard of the song "Chocktaw Bingo" (and I assume the song is actually Choctaw, because Chocktaw isn't the name.) What that has to do with any of the towns mentioned is a mystery since it's not even in this state.

I still maintain most people hadn't heard of these towns in 2000 except for perhaps in passing a highway sign for an exit to them, and even fewer would be able to tell you where they were back then.

Old 03-04-2021, 10:03 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,235,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
OK, but we're any of those towns part of the "places to move to" conversations 20 years ago?

Nope. Prosper wasn't really even mentioned even as late as 2010 for places to move to. We moved here in Dec 2014 and they still didn't have a grocery store, and there was nothing along 380. That's all happened in the last 5 years.

Old 03-04-2021, 10:14 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,699,271 times
Quote:
That's how quickly things change when you're living in the country's fastest growing metro area.

20 years from now, we may be talking about folks tripping over themselves to move to Ferris or Farmersville.

Old 03-04-2021, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
That's how quickly things change when you're living in the country's fastest growing metro area.

20 years from now, we may be talking about folks tripping over themselves to move to Ferris or Farmersville.
Certainly possible. Though what has put the northernmost towns into the conversation is the establishment of Collin County as a major employment center rather than the bedroom suburb area it was in earlier decades. How much farther north will large white-collar employers be willing to go, when they would start getting very far from the airports? Of course, if travel becomes less important, it may not matter.

Old 03-04-2021, 10:27 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,699,271 times
Quote:
Certainly possible. Though what has put the northernmost towns into the conversation is the establishment of Collin County as a major employment center rather than the bedroom suburb area it was in earlier decades. How much farther north will large white-collar employers be willing to go, when they would start getting very far from the airports? Of course, if travel becomes less important, it may not matter.
That is the million dollar question. No one knows the answer to it, especially with all of the cheap buildable land, people's relentless desire for new/shiny things and the lack of geographical barriers.

There was a thread (I think on this forum) about how DFW's suburbs have seemingly become disposable as everyone with money just moves further NE every 10-20 years.

About airport travel, I will say it's not totally inconceivable that Collin County leaders won't push hard for a 3rd airport to serve areas that far NE, especially if DFW's Outer Loop comes to fruition. For now, Fort Worth's Meacham Airport is being targeted as DFW's 3rd airport.

Last edited by citidata18; 03-04-2021 at 10:44 AM..

Old 03-04-2021, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
That is the million dollar question. No one knows the answer to it, especially with all of the cheap buildable land, people's relentless desire for new/shiny things and the lack of geographical barriers.

There was a thread (I think on this forum) about how DFW's suburbs have seemingly become disposable as everyone with money just moves further NE every 10-20 years.

About airport travel, I will say it's not totally inconceivable that Collin County leaders won't push hard for a 3rd airport to serve areas that far NE, especially if DFW's Outer Loop comes to fruition. For now, Fort Worth's Meacham Airport is being targeted as DFW's 3rd airport.
Maybe if Gunter / Tioga becomes the prime exurban area for the executive-level affluent (which maybe it's already on its way there), there will be a push for major white-collar employers to move up to 380 or beyond, especially as the main lanes of the Tollway get extended to Celina and beyond.

Old 03-04-2021, 02:54 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,051,062 times
Quote:
Maybe if Gunter / Tioga becomes the prime exurban area for the executive-level affluent (which maybe it's already on its way there)
Tioga is rich retired execs that dont like change. One day they will get a wake up call

Old 03-04-2021, 04:01 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,861,423 times
Deion Sanders built his Prosper Estate in 1999.

So, people in Dallas were hearing of Prosper 22 years ago. Just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas