Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2021, 10:44 PM

5 posts, read 5,552 times

Advertisements

Hello all- my child just got accepted into two great private schools (ESD and Greenhill). We live in a good public school district and are a little over 20 miles away. Any insights on the commute and other factors we should consider between these schools? I wonder if most of the students live close by and we will be an anomaly from coming from a farther location?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2021, 02:37 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,488,669 times
I doubt you’ll be the only one. I would guess Greenhill students are a little more spread out than ESD, but I’d also guess most families that attend ESD live fairly close to the campus or nearby neighborhoods in North Dallas.

Old 03-16-2021, 04:43 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,891,424 times
Are you willing to make that 20 mile drive 4x a day? Or will your office be close enough to the school that you’ll only have to do it twice?

Old 03-16-2021, 06:58 AM

102 posts, read 184,934 times
I feel like ESD has one of the most centralized populations of families.

There is definitely a large contingent of Greenhill families in the Preston Hollow and surrounding areas, but many driving from Frisco/Plano/Las Colinas. We were making a 20 minute drive to school for less than a year before we decided to move closer and it was a great decision. It is more than the pickup and dropoff. The practices, games, recitals, plays, etc add up quickly.

Congrats on ESD and Greenhill. Those are both outstanding schools.

Old 03-16-2021, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Are you willing to make that 20 mile drive 4x a day? Or will your office be close enough to the school that you’ll only have to do it twice?
The office is a bit closer but yes, for now we are OK with making the drive and then later will determine how much it drives me nuts!

Old 03-16-2021, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsb View Post
I feel like ESD has one of the most centralized populations of families.

There is definitely a large contingent of Greenhill families in the Preston Hollow and surrounding areas, but many driving from Frisco/Plano/Las Colinas. We were making a 20 minute drive to school for less than a year before we decided to move closer and it was a great decision. It is more than the pickup and dropoff. The practices, games, recitals, plays, etc add up quickly.

Congrats on ESD and Greenhill. Those are both outstanding schools.
Thank you very much! We are actually very torn between the two!

Old 03-16-2021, 09:56 AM

19,801 posts, read 18,104,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasMommaB View Post
Hello all- my child just got accepted into two great private schools (ESD and Greenhill). We live in a good public school district and are a little over 20 miles away. Any insights on the commute and other factors we should consider between these schools? I wonder if most of the students live close by and we will be an anomaly from coming from a farther location?
Congrats on the offers!

1). I would map out multiple routes to each from where you are - you'll need bail out options as both areas endure regular traffic snarls. If coming from the north using DNT as an example Greenhill will likely provide a much easier commute. Each school is surrounded by both short cuts and dead ends - especially east of Greenhill.......so again find multiple routes.

2.) After making your selection get in touch with that school's office and ask about ride sharing opportunities with other students/families near your location or on the way from your location etc.

3). Most students will live closer than you family - some farther away. I wouldn't let that be an issues assuming the commute is doable for your family.

Old 03-16-2021, 11:07 AM

96 posts, read 150,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasMommaB View Post
Thank you very much! We are actually very torn between the two!
Congrats! Those 2 schools are quite different from each other. I’m sure you are aware of this however.

Old 03-16-2021, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Congrats on the offers!

1). I would map out multiple routes to each from where you are - you'll need bail out options as both areas endure regular traffic snarls. If coming from the north using DNT as an example Greenhill will likely provide a much easier commute. Each school is surrounded by both short cuts and dead ends - especially east of Greenhill.......so again find multiple routes.

2.) After making your selection get in touch with that school's office and ask about ride sharing opportunities with other students/families near your location or on the way from your location etc.

3). Most students will live closer than you family - some farther away. I wouldn't let that be an issues assuming the commute is doable for your family.

Thanks for the insight- the ride share is interesting. I haven’t thought of that.

Old 03-16-2021, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1977 View Post
Congrats! Those 2 schools are quite different from each other. I’m sure you are aware of this however.
Thank you very much! Yes, I’ve been gathering quite a bit of differences and have heard great things about both. I really am hoping this group can give me the truth and the “ugly” as well so I can be fully informed as I make this decision for my family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: