Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2021, 03:55 PM

272 posts, read 246,398 times

Advertisements

Hey,

As other May have notice I’m moving down to Dallas from Toronto.
As time gets closer and closer, anxiety is starting to kick in.
Anyone here from the North East? Since Toronto is similar to Chicago, NYC etc
I was hoping someone could give any input and insight

Did you make the move?
Did you stay?
Did you leave?
What were the biggest shocks?
What do you wish you did different or know before now that you’ve done it?

You know where I’m going with this…

Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2021, 04:05 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,343,862 times
When I moved to DFW I was expecting much nicer weather. The weather is nice in Spring but rains alot with hail storms, hot and humid in Summer; nice in the Fall and really cold with some ice storms in winter (generally Jan - March).

Traffic very congested

Sports and car culture can be overwhelming if you are not that interested in driving a nice car or watching Sports on TV

Old 07-22-2021, 04:56 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,864,734 times
I seriously doubt that Dallas will be “really cold” to someone from Toronto.

The “car culture” here is only a thing if you want it to be. Most people are not caught up in that.
I couldn’t care less about pro sports on TV.

Old 07-22-2021, 05:55 PM

1,079 posts, read 1,111,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post

The “car culture” here is only a thing if you want it to be. Most people are not caught up in that.
Agreed. By any realistic measure it is not cold in Dallas. This is a very warm/hot climate.

Old 07-22-2021, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post

I love sports and car culture!

Old 07-22-2021, 07:57 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,300,412 times
Dallas can get cold, but it's short lived. We are too far South and at a decent altitude, so it really just depends on whether the wind blows in from the North or from the South. There aren't any mountains to calm the winds from the North, so it can drop quickly. Prior to the winter storm this past February, we hadn't had any measurable snowfall for 6 years. It's definitely not going to be like living in Florida here in the winter. I like that though, changes in weather are interesting to me.

Old 07-22-2021, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Dallas can get cold, but it's short lived. We are too far South and at a decent altitude, so it really just depends on whether the wind blows in from the North or from the South. There aren't any mountains to calm the winds from the North, so it can drop quickly. Prior to the winter storm this past February, we hadn't had any measurable snowfall for 6 years. It's definitely not going to be like living in Florida here in the winter. I like that though, changes in weather are interesting to me.
If I lived somewhere really hot, i would mind the dallas winter weather.
As long as it isn’t snowing and white on the floor ... I’d take the slight dip of weather.
It’s a little reminder of the northeast without being full on northeast

Old 07-22-2021, 10:02 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,411,100 times
The only thing I miss is the scenery but then I enjoy my vacations so much more.

Old 07-22-2021, 10:44 PM

817 posts, read 922,040 times
I lived in Chicago and environs from age 1 to 33, so I can give a good comparison. I thought Chicago had humid summers, but Texas has really humid summers. Chicago is called the Windy City (really because of the self-promotion for the 1933 World's Fair), but North TX gets those prairie winds that rip through your clothing and just won't stop. As an earlier poster said, the weather system makes its way through the Dakotas, through Kansas and OK, and gets a few degrees warmer as it travels south through each state, but can reach this area as a blustery day in the mid 30s.

As far as summer, I have relatives in Arizona, and I can get on a plane here in the summer and feel better in AZ weather that is 15 degrees hotter.

I was told that my electric bill would be in the $400 range during summer months, but we live in a townhouse that was built in 2015, and haven't had a bill over $140 for gas and electric combined. I think that newer homes are more energy efficient.

ETA: As soon as work doesn't require me here, I am moving back to the southwestern US.

Not much scenery here, no great lakes, and since I lived in SoCal for most of my adult life, no mountains. The weather isn't good, but not as severe as up north.

As you may have heard, this past winter we had a couple days of weather that would not bother a resident of the Great Lakes region, but completely messed up the North Texas region. Some people had long electrical outages. Our location would get 1 hour on, and 90 minutes off. In addition to that, I didn't drip the faucets, so our kitchen sink had one pipe freeze. I worked on it, with hot air and finally it opened up without bursting, so remember to drip your faucets.

One nice surprise was that I have only had a handful or mosquito bites in the past 5 years. I could get the same number in Chicago by just grilling in my backyard.

Last edited by Beardown91737; 07-22-2021 at 10:46 PM.. Reason: forgot the last sentence

Old 07-22-2021, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardown91737 View Post
I lived in Chicago and environs from age 1 to 33, so I can give a good comparison. I thought Chicago had humid summers, but Texas has really humid summers. Chicago is called the Windy City (really because of the self-promotion for the 1933 World's Fair), but North TX gets those prairie winds that rip through your clothing and just won't stop. As an earlier poster said, the weather system makes its way through the Dakotas, through Kansas and OK, and gets a few degrees warmer as it travels south through each state, but can reach this area as a blustery day in the mid 30s.

As far as summer, I have relatives in Arizona, and I can get on a plane here in the summer and feel better in AZ weather that is 15 degrees hotter.

I was told that my electric bill would be in the $400 range during summer months, but we live in a townhouse that was built in 2015, and haven't had a bill over $140 for gas and electric combined. I think that newer homes are more energy efficient.

ETA: As soon as work doesn't require me here, I am moving back to the southwestern US.

Not much scenery here, no great lakes, and since I lived in SoCal for most of my adult life, no mountains. The weather isn't good, but not as severe as up north.

As you may have heard, this past winter we had a couple days of weather that would not bother a resident of the Great Lakes region, but completely messed up the North Texas region. Some people had long electrical outages. Our location would get 1 hour on, and 90 minutes off. In addition to that, I didn't drip the faucets, so our kitchen sink had one pipe freeze. I worked on it, with hot air and finally it opened up without bursting, so remember to drip your faucets.

One nice surprise was that I have only had a handful or mosquito bites in the past 5 years. I could get the same number in Chicago by just grilling in my backyard.
Thanks for that! Where about did you live ? Big city ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas