Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2021, 02:21 PM

3 posts, read 2,443 times

Advertisements

My husband & I have been looking at homes in McKinney. We prefer to build a new home, but only if we can do minor structural modifications & make the design choices. We fell in love with a Drees floorplan that they're building in Northwest McKinney in Timber Creek (near Wilmeth & Hardin). Drees is currently only doing four sales per month so it would be October before we'd go under contract although we can do a lot hold for $1K. Has anyone had any recent experience with Drees (quality, customer service, etc.)? How robust are their design options? The thing I'm a little confused about is that they have lots available while we spoke to Darling in Auburn Hills & they're doing a drawing to be given the option to purchase one of their spec homes. I'm not all that familiar with this part of McKinney so I'm not sure what to make of the fact that demand at Timber Creek doesn't seem nearly as strong as Auburn Hills. If anyone has any feedback on Drees and/or Timber Creek, I'd very much appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2021, 11:58 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,085,566 times
I have lived in McKinney over 32 years and would advise against either neighborhood, in part due to 380 and the still unclear plans to possibly expand it to the north around these neighborhoods.

I can't fathom why anyone would plunk down over half a million to live in either community. They aren't worth it.

What brings you to McKinney?

Old 09-11-2021, 07:45 AM

3 posts, read 2,443 times
Thank you so much for your feedback. I was under the impression a final decision had been made about the 380 expansion, which looked like it wouldn’t affect either community. Do you think it’s subject to change?

We currently live in Allen as do my parents. My mom has health issues so I want to stay nearby so we’ve been looking in Allen & McKinney. We also want a one-story in case we ever need one of our parents to live with us. I built our current house before we got married & we’ve outgrown it. We’ve looked at many existing homes & loved the layouts on two of them, but both had undesirable lot locations (a Darling plan in Montgomery Farms & a Drees plan in Timber Creek), which is what got us looking at Auburn Hills & Timber Creek because the two plans we like are being built there. If we’re going to buy a new house, I want it inspected throughout the build & to make the design selections so that rules out Darling right now & we liked the Drees plan better anyway. Something just isn’t adding up for me about Timber Creek when I read about the crazy demand for homes at other communities nearby.

I definitely never thought we’d spend this kind of money on a house, but I never dreamed my house would appreciate as much as it has either so it kind of feels like the new normal.

Old 09-11-2021, 10:16 AM

1,377 posts, read 1,085,566 times
I'd be concerned about anything that close to 380. Some decisions have been made, but we still don't even have a firm map of where precisely the highway will be. I'm not sure what your budget is, but there is a new village in Stonebridge by Toll Brothers called Paradiso Valle currently under development. The location in my opinion is better. Their website says they start in the upper $600s for around 3000 sq ft.

I have heard nothing but good things about Drees but have no experience myself. Timber Creek seems more convenient to Allen. Darling no longer exists as a distinct builder. It's a brand of Taylor Morrison. My home is an original Darling from the days they were doing low-end builder grade jobs, so I can't speak to them now. Drees and several other builders will soon start selling at a community called Painted Tree north of the hospital on Lake Forest. Again though, I'm not sure how 380 will affect it.

I do know how you feel. I have been looking for new construction the past year myself, and the selection is quite paltry anywhere within driving distance, let alone close to Allen.

Last edited by Leonard123; 09-11-2021 at 10:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas