Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2022, 01:35 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,341,971 times

Advertisements

I suggest west — Colleyville, North Euless, Grapevine or Coppell

https://hockey.travelsports.com/club...rs-hockey-club
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2022, 01:50 PM

625 posts, read 666,642 times
While there is definitely hockey in North Texas, but it is only centered in a few places. I would start in those areas and look at the general circumference around them. I don't think any schools here have hockey - so it would only be through club teams.

I'm pro-Lakewood/city and that would be a great commute for your husband, but may be a longer drive to hockey. I know a couple of families that do it - so it is possible. A lot of the popular newbuild suburbs that you read about will be a very long commute to the Design District.

What kind of Boston neighborhood are you coming from? A smaller outskirt town, the city, a newer suburb? What are your comfortable with?

Old 02-08-2022, 02:08 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,401,147 times
Quote:
I don't think any schools here have hockey - so it would only be through club teams

They do, sort of:

https://www.tahahockey.org/high-school-hockey-info

Old 02-08-2022, 02:44 PM

19,777 posts, read 18,064,624 times
In Texas school ice hockey is a club sport per UIL dictate.

Old 02-08-2022, 03:14 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,287,721 times
I would first look in Lake Highlands - Richardson ISD schools but in the northeast part of Dallas. Close to White Rock Lake and many bike / running trails and some nature preserves. $1.2M is a great budget there! Easy access to 635 & 75 which can easily get you to Stars ice hockey centers in Farmers Branch & Plano. Hockey is a growing sport here for sure!

For suburbs, Coppell or West Plano (or Far North Dallas with Plano or Richardson schools) are about as far out as you would want to get from the DD for commuting purposes. And also give you great schools & access to hockey. Neither are as pretty as Lake Highlands / White Rock Lake area though.

Old 02-08-2022, 03:47 PM

37 posts, read 48,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texstout View Post
While there is definitely hockey in North Texas, but it is only centered in a few places. I would start in those areas and look at the general circumference around them. I don't think any schools here have hockey - so it would only be through club teams.

I'm pro-Lakewood/city and that would be a great commute for your husband, but may be a longer drive to hockey. I know a couple of families that do it - so it is possible. A lot of the popular newbuild suburbs that you read about will be a very long commute to the Design District.

What kind of Boston neighborhood are you coming from? A smaller outskirt town, the city, a newer suburb? What are your comfortable with?
We currently live in Marblehead, MA. Which is VERY different than anything in Dallas! Our whole town is 4.4 sq miles and is a coastal community. What we love best about it here is the small community feel. However, prior to living here we also lived in Weston, FL (close to Ft. Lauderdale), Chanhassen, MN (outside Minneapolis) and the South Hills of Pittsburgh PA. We've been in large school districts before. We would be looking for some sort of suburb where kids could ride bikes and have a yard to play in.

Old 02-08-2022, 03:48 PM

37 posts, read 48,134 times
THANK YOU to everyone for all the good hockey info! This has helped a lot!

Old 02-08-2022, 03:58 PM

304 posts, read 184,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurce9 View Post
We currently live in Marblehead, MA. Which is VERY different than anything in Dallas! Our whole town is 4.4 sq miles and is a coastal community. What we love best about it here is the small community feel. However, prior to living here we also lived in Weston, FL (close to Ft. Lauderdale), Chanhassen, MN (outside Minneapolis) and the South Hills of Pittsburgh PA. We've been in large school districts before. We would be looking for some sort of suburb where kids could ride bikes and have a yard to play in.
Those suburbs you mention are going to seem quaint in comparison.

Old 02-08-2022, 04:22 PM

565 posts, read 557,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurce9 View Post
My understanding is he will be north of downtown in the Design District.
If that's the case then i'd for sure try to stay south of george bush.

My picks (assuming you want good public schools and reasonable commutte) is Lakehighlands (white rock elementary, northlake, or lakehighlands elementary area), Far North Dallas (Brentfield or Bowie elementary) or West Richardson (Mohawk, Canyon Creek, or Praire Creek). You mentioned strong want for nature, Canyon Creek/Praire creek would be the top choice for that (tons of elevation changes, 2 major creeks, a golf course, train tracks that kids play on, 5 major parks one of which actually has a natural waterfall).

Any of those 8 elementary school areas should be like 30-40 minutes to design district with bad traffic and like 20-25 with good traffic.

Old 02-08-2022, 07:02 PM

245 posts, read 254,250 times
Lake Highlands is father, time wise, from your work than Richardson or Coppell. Looks like the Richardson hockey team covers a huge area going east- away from jobs and rinks. Coppell seems to have their own rink near the school. Sure it’s ugly- but it’s cheap (to you) and will have the community you are looking for. Plus people move in and out of there all the time- Lake Highlands is for people who want to live here forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas