Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2022, 08:11 PM

3,834 posts, read 4,439,529 times

Advertisements

[quote=TurtleCreek80;62866359]There are PLENTY of options for short commute, great schools & $1.2M budget. The hiccup is their kids play a “niche” sport here. Even considering the hockey need, there are a dozen or more neighborhoods / suburbs that fit the bill:

—> Anything feeding into the following high schools: RISD Pearce, RISD Richardson, LISD Hebron (west of West Plano off the tollroad & Bush), southern parts of Plano West & Plano Senior zones, Coppell, Colleyville, Southlake, Flower Mound (staying as close to Coppell side as possible)

—> for a more complicated commute (ie, not necessarily longer in minutes but not a “straight shot” on the Highway like the options above): Lakewood area feeding into DISD Woodrow Wilson & RISD Lake Highlands HS zone.

If you threw hockey out, you could also add Sunnyvale, Rockwall / Heath and some other options to the table.[/QUOTE]

This. I was just about to say they should consider Sunnyvale and Rockwall but the hockey thing would eliminated them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2022, 10:11 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,341,971 times
Really, you need to check out Grapevine, North Euless and Colleyville. All on the west side, and there’s a big ice hockey center in that area.

Old 02-16-2022, 11:58 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,082,936 times
Seriously? That is going to be a miserable commute. On a budget? Seriously? Nearly everything between Dallas and Frisco is less expensive than Frisco! You should have no problem finding nice neighborhoods at a lower price much closer. That drive will wear you out before you even get to work.

Old 02-17-2022, 12:13 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,287,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurce9 View Post
Yes, my husband would be going in daily. And as for finding something closer in our budget, it might be out there but I just didn’t have the time to look in those places this past weekend. And when I check on Redfin, I don’t see much.

You all have been so helpful. It’s so hard for me to get an understanding of the layout of Dallas and surrounding suburbs. Like I said, it will take more trips down for me to check things out. Luckily my husband will begin working and will be there more often and can do some real research on commutes. He says he doesn’t mind the drive…but I DO!! I don’t want to be waiting all evening for him to just get home from work.

So, again, thanks for the honest comments and advice. I appreciate it!
There isn’t much on Refin (or realtor.com or whatever MLS search engine) because the entire DFW metroplex is running on 2-6 weeks of housing inventory right now, that is, on average every house that went on the market this week will be sold & closed by the end of March. So be sure to include pending / under contract houses in your MLS searches if you want a feel for what types & sizes of homes will be available in various neighborhoods & suburbs by the time you move here.

Your DH might be ok with spending 1.5-2.5 hours per day commuting….but why?! Do you not like him? It’s just not necessary to live in Frisco or Allen when your job is downtown AND you have a $1.25M budget. I quickly looked for 4 BR houses under $1.3M tonight and found listings in literally every other place we suggested that is south of Bush Turnpike or just barely north of it in West Plano or Castle Hills. Those locations alone will shave 20-25 minutes EACH WAY off the drive time to DD compare to Frisco or Allen. Though I do think Coppell / Southlake / Colleyville / SE Flower Mound are all better choices for hockey + commute + budget.

Old 02-17-2022, 06:25 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,212,817 times
My husband used to do an insane commute and it was terrible for our marriage and family. He was exhausted all the time and never got home in time for family dinner. He could never attend any school events that took place during the day because work was too far away. We moved closer to his job for that reason and it was worth it. Right now, the commute traffic is bad already and will get worse when more people return to the office.

Old 02-17-2022, 07:16 AM

4,511 posts, read 2,660,480 times
OP I think you need to reconsider wearing your husband down to a nub just so your kids can play a sport with rare opportunities in Texas. There are things that are more important than organized childrens' sports.

Old 02-17-2022, 07:21 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,174,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurce9 View Post
Yes, my husband would be going in daily. And as for finding something closer in our budget, it might be out there but I just didn’t have the time to look in those places this past weekend. And when I check on Redfin, I don’t see much.

You all have been so helpful. It’s so hard for me to get an understanding of the layout of Dallas and surrounding suburbs. Like I said, it will take more trips down for me to check things out. Luckily my husband will begin working and will be there more often and can do some real research on commutes. He says he doesn’t mind the drive…but I DO!! I don’t want to be waiting all evening for him to just get home from work.

So, again, thanks for the honest comments and advice. I appreciate it!
I live in Frisco and there is no way I'd make that commute regularly. Even if my salary tripled, it is not worth it. At a minimum I think you should stay south of Bush, but south of 635 would be much better.

Old 02-17-2022, 08:07 AM

625 posts, read 666,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
My husband used to do an insane commute and it was terrible for our marriage and family. He was exhausted all the time and never got home in time for family dinner. He could never attend any school events that took place during the day because work was too far away. We moved closer to his job for that reason and it was worth it. Right now, the commute traffic is bad already and will get worse when more people return to the office.

Good point - right now is theoretically still low traffic with so many people (like me) WFH. I don't think it will ever get back to pre-pandemic levels, but it will definitely get worse than today.

Old 02-18-2022, 06:43 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,212,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
OP I think you need to reconsider wearing your husband down to a nub just so your kids can play a sport with rare opportunities in Texas. There are things that are more important than organized childrens' sports.
Yup. Your family needs a happy, healthy, and present father more than one kid living near a hockey rink.

Old 02-18-2022, 09:02 AM

37 posts, read 48,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
Yup. Your family needs a happy, healthy, and present father more than one kid living near a hockey rink.
Oh indeed! That’s the most important for us. We’re on the same page. We’re just trying to find something that will help our kids (especially the 13 year old) feel a sense of normalcy and have a way to make friends. Hockey is their sport. That’s why I’m doing the research. We’ll figure it out I’m sure. Difficult to do from a distance so again, thank you for the honesty, especially about the commute. Pointing out the fact that if it rains, then traffic is compromised is helpful. We hadn’t thought of that or knew that would cause issues. Definitely looking for something closer.

So, with that said, is Richardson and/or Far North Dallas doable commutes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas