Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2022, 05:19 AM

53 posts, read 122,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Like, you would only move here if he got admitted to SM? What?!!? I’m confused FWIW, SM has a very large contingency of “old Dallas money” enrolled in school and also on the board. McDermotts, Hunts, etc. The titans of Dallas business & culture have their names and money entrenched at SM.

We are lucky to have quite a few truly fabulous private schools in the Dallas area…Greenhill (coed non-sectarian), Cistercian (Catholic boys), Jesuit (Catholic boys), Parish (coed Episcopalian), etc. These schools all emphasize critical thinking and analysis skills, not rote memorization or teaching to standardized tests.
Thank you for the recommendation. Yes we will only move if he gets admitted. We consider Dallas also because he is a competitive swimmer. We need to find a place with good swimming clubs as well. So what makes St. Mark’s so unique compared to other schools? My kid is likely to do high school swimming as well. Do private schools that you mentioned have good high school sport support?
When I said old money, I meant the schools here are not so diversified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2022, 05:40 AM

300 posts, read 290,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthiazxm View Post
What other private schools do you recommend? Thank you!
Look up Junior Symphony Ball and stick to the high schools listed there. The most direct competitors to St. Mark’s are Cistercian (all boys Catholic school/monastery), Greenhill (co-ed, secular), and Episcopal School of Dallas (co Ed).

Old 03-10-2022, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWGuy422 View Post
Look up Junior Symphony Ball and stick to the high schools listed there. The most direct competitors to St. Mark’s are Cistercian (all boys Catholic school/monastery), Greenhill (co-ed, secular), and Episcopal School of Dallas (co Ed).
Thank you!

Old 03-10-2022, 05:47 AM

Quote:
St. Mark’s is pretty racially diverse, but it has very little socioeconomic diversity. Like the other posters mentioned, it is Uber wealthy, and a handful of kids on scholarship doesn’t change this. The Catholic schools are by far the most socioeconomically diverse.

Old 03-10-2022, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWGuy422 View Post
St. Mark’s is pretty racially diverse, but it has very little socioeconomic diversity. Like the other posters mentioned, it is Uber wealthy, and a handful of kids on scholarship doesn’t change this. The Catholic schools are by far the most socioeconomically diverse.
I see. I am looking for a school environment that is all inclusive and hate free. I know the public school has done a good job on making sure the school is a hate free zone and is very serious about racisms. I want my kids to be empathetic and understand how the whole society is formed instead of being placed in an environment that is full of monetary comparisons, etc.

Old 03-10-2022, 07:21 AM

19,782 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
I see. I am looking for a school environment that is all inclusive and hate free. I know the public school has done a good job on making sure the school is a hate free zone and is very serious about racisms. I want my kids to be empathetic and understand how the whole society is formed instead of being placed in an environment that is full of monetary comparisons, etc.
IMO you should develop a list ordered from most important to least important and try to find the first couple on the list.

You are not going to find all of great academics, little teaching to tests (truth is every school everywhere teaches to tests - anyone here who thinks SMS does not teach to the SAT isn't paying attention....these schools require excellent test results just to get in, little money stratification, swimming and all the soft side stuff you seem to require.

Pick two or three.

Old 03-10-2022, 07:41 AM

91 posts, read 128,293 times
Quote:
Thank you for the recommendation. Yes we will only move if he gets admitted. We consider Dallas also because he is a competitive swimmer. We need to find a place with good swimming clubs as well. So what makes St. Mark’s so unique compared to other schools? My kid is likely to do high school swimming as well. Do private schools that you mentioned have good high school sport support?
You should look at Jesuit. They have a fairly new natatorium and the school is phenomenal for athletes, competing in the highest division statewide and doing well in nearly every sport. Students have a full hour in the morning to lift weights and work out in their sport related conditioning before school starts... meaning School starts a full hour later than other area privates due to training. They have a state of the art training center. And this is in addition to afternoon sports practice.

St. Marks has an excellent sports program too but it is not the emphasis and while they will certainly look at the students who play different sports as an added advantage to the program (swimmers included), they will not admit an excellent athlete who might have difficulty with the academic side. Jesuit will, as they admit about 300 freshman, all incoming, every year. Just as a comparison, St. Marks already has a full 8th grade class of wonderful young men (my son is in it, and I have heard several times that it's one of the nicest groups to come through the school in years), and they will only admit a handful of new students into the freshman class--- well, maybe two handfuls. So the requirements for admission will be more specific.

If you haven't already applied though, you are out of luck for 2022-2023. Admissions decisions will go out this week.

I recently spent some time at Jesuit as I was interviewing for a teaching position there and I was quite blown away by the school. They are very progressive in their academic focus and certainly teach boys to think critically rather than by rote learning, from what I could see. The students are very diverse and not just in terms of ethnicity, but also in terms of religion and socio-economic class.

I have found St. Marks to be very diverse in these categories as well. Both are wonderful schools. If my son wanted to be a competitive swimmer, to try for USC or the olympics or something, I'd apply there.

Old 03-10-2022, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnicles View Post
You should look at Jesuit. They have a fairly new natatorium and the school is phenomenal for athletes, competing in the highest division statewide and doing well in nearly every sport. Students have a full hour in the morning to lift weights and work out in their sport related conditioning before school starts... meaning School starts a full hour later than other area privates due to training. They have a state of the art training center. And this is in addition to afternoon sports practice.

St. Marks has an excellent sports program too but it is not the emphasis and while they will certainly look at the students who play different sports as an added advantage to the program (swimmers included), they will not admit an excellent athlete who might have difficulty with the academic side. Jesuit will, as they admit about 300 freshman, all incoming, every year. Just as a comparison, St. Marks already has a full 8th grade class of wonderful young men (my son is in it, and I have heard several times that it's one of the nicest groups to come through the school in years), and they will only admit a handful of new students into the freshman class--- well, maybe two handfuls. So the requirements for admission will be more specific.

If you haven't already applied though, you are out of luck for 2022-2023. Admissions decisions will go out this week.

I recently spent some time at Jesuit as I was interviewing for a teaching position there and I was quite blown away by the school. They are very progressive in their academic focus and certainly teach boys to think critically rather than by rote learning, from what I could see. The students are very diverse and not just in terms of ethnicity, but also in terms of religion and socio-economic class.

I have found St. Marks to be very diverse in these categories as well. Both are wonderful schools. If my son wanted to be a competitive swimmer, to try for USC or the olympics or something, I'd apply there.
+1 on the Jesuit recommendation:
1. Almost zero teaching to tests (relative to other privates/high-level publics) and little busy work
2. Good academics for solid students, great academics for excellent students (they offer regulars and honors tracks that students can mix and match by class)
3. Not only are they head and shoulders above St. Mark's in sports, but your son would definitely find more likeminded people i.e. star athletes
4. Socioeconomically diverse

Old 03-10-2022, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnicles View Post

It’s great to know all these details. I will definitely look at Jesuit. Thank you!

Old 03-31-2023, 11:44 AM

16 posts, read 18,793 times
I have a 7th grader at a public school who is very hard working, competitive and high achieving. Although we have been happy at the public school, as we look to the high school, we are starting to realize the GPA race means not doing music and sports (since they are regular courses and not honors) and wondering if this wouldn't be the case at top private schools like St. mark. So for those with kids at top private school, is there less of a GPA focus? Or do the kids take as many honors/APs as they can? There is just something sad about not taking electives without worrying about honors/GPA bump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: