Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2023, 08:25 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,628,204 times

Advertisements

Congrats to DFW. If this is a success it'll open the door for more attractions and more businesses to open up shop in DFW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2023, 08:55 PM

537 posts, read 450,950 times
Don't California my Texas. Oops too late for that.

Old 01-11-2023, 10:16 PM

1,383 posts, read 1,089,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Fox 4 is saying that the building process will 7 years. Maybe that will give them enough time to upgrade the infrastructure in the area...?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J1P4ku...ature=youtu.be

Not TxDOT. In fact if TxDOT is in charge, they may opt to downgrade the infrastructure.

Besides that, where are we going to get the electricity and water? We're already struggling to get enough.

Old 01-12-2023, 12:01 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,456,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Reddit world is saying this will “Universal Kids” rather than “Universal Studios”. Will it really be that big of a difference?

Reddit is also notoriously pessimistic though

They’re also sharing the above complaints of lack of central focus in Dallas which of all developments, does not matter for a theme park

I TOTALLY agree.........+1

Old 01-12-2023, 06:23 AM

2,512 posts, read 2,218,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post
I'm a Frisco resident too and have similar concerns. Traffic is already bad. It's supposed to be built in 4 years and I didn't see any plans to alleviate traffic concerns. I'm skeptical on reducing property taxes too.

I'm assuming most of the workers will not be making crazy high wages, which leads to the question of where they will live. A lot of people in Frisco balk at the thought of affordable house (AKA more apartments). A lot of the apartments we have now aren't all that affordable.
The communities around Disney have a real problem because most of the people working at the theme parks aren't paid a living wage plus housing there is expensive. Housing in Frisco and the surrounding communities is already expensive so I wonder where the workers will be able to live.

Old 01-12-2023, 06:30 AM

649 posts, read 1,424,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
The communities around Disney have a real problem because most of the people working at the theme parks aren't paid a living wage plus housing there is expensive. Housing in Frisco and the surrounding communities is already expensive so I wonder where the workers will be able to live.
It will be highschool, college kids, people from much further out, even people from Denton, Carrollton, etc. they will just commute. Don’t over think it!

Old 01-12-2023, 07:05 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,980,279 times
This is a pretty nice get for DFW. Now the area will have two legit theme parks, along with the family/tourist friendly area of Grapevine. It can really market itself to the medium-sized towns plus the Texas cities. Speaking of which imagine if SA had gotten this park. You'd be talking about 3 parks in one area and SA would have created quite the ecosystem.

But good for DFW, although great point someone made earlier about housing. Does Frisco require these developers building luxury apartments to have a percentage be low-income? It's good DFW has so many incorporated cities as they compete and are able to attract developments like this through that, but the Collin County ones need to do a better job with affordable housing for workers. This area is like 50 minutes no traffic from the mid-cities area where a lot of workers would come from, and even further from other areas in Dallas or Fort Worth.

Old 01-12-2023, 07:41 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,114,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
This is a pretty nice get for DFW. Now the area will have two legit theme parks, along with the family/tourist friendly area of Grapevine. It can really market itself to the medium-sized towns plus the Texas cities. Speaking of which imagine if SA had gotten this park. You'd be talking about 3 parks in one area and SA would have created quite the ecosystem.

But good for DFW, although great point someone made earlier about housing. Does Frisco require these developers building luxury apartments to have a percentage be low-income? It's good DFW has so many incorporated cities as they compete and are able to attract developments like this through that, but the Collin County ones need to do a better job with affordable housing for workers. This area is like 50 minutes no traffic from the mid-cities area where a lot of workers would come from, and even further from other areas in Dallas or Fort Worth.
I have seen this alluded to several times on this thread but I think it is a total non-issue (at least as it relates to the specific location, it is of course a broader societal issue).

There are a HUGE amount of apartments being built in that part of the metroplex and it isn't that far from existing affordable areas in Allen, McKinney, Plano, Carrolton, The Colony, Little Elm, etc.

It is true that there is not a framework to allow the workforce an option for public transportation, but that is really a DFW wide problem.

Old 01-12-2023, 07:47 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,980,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NP78 View Post
I have seen this alluded to several times on this thread but I think it is a total non-issue (at least as it relates to the specific location, it is of course a broader societal issue).

There are a HUGE amount of apartments being built in that part of the metroplex and it isn't that far from existing affordable areas in Allen, McKinney, Plano, Carrolton, The Colony, Little Elm, etc.

It is true that there is not a framework to allow the workforce an option for public transportation, but that is really a DFW wide problem.
Okay, but you are talking studios for $1200 in Collin County or 1-2 bedrooms in Arlington or Grand Prairie for $900-$1100. Remember people have kids too so those studios are likely out of the picture for many and going to a 1 or 2 bedroom means $1350-$1500 minimum for rent. Those Arlington like prices can't be had in any of the cities you listed. You have to go south of 635 at minimum and south of 183 to really start seeing more generous pricing for people who'd likely work in this DNT Frisco area.

Old 01-12-2023, 08:03 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,089,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Okay, but you are talking studios for $1200 in Collin County or 1-2 bedrooms in Arlington or Grand Prairie for $900-$1100. Remember people have kids too so those studios are likely out of the picture for many and going to a 1 or 2 bedroom means $1350-$1500 minimum for rent. Those Arlington like prices can't be had in any of the cities you listed. You have to go south of 635 at minimum and south of 183 to really start seeing more generous pricing for people who'd likely work in this DNT Frisco area.

Prices will likely drop in McKinney to those lower levels, even as they rise everywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas