Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2023, 07:56 AM

19,778 posts, read 18,073,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasParent86 View Post
Ehh a lack of trees is a strong statement. The trees are not as tall here, but there are plenty of them... At least in DALLAS. Maybe not as many in the 'burbs where Developers knock them all down to build.

https://www.gotreequotes.com/cities-...he-most-trees/

I do think some of the confusing statements are made by people who haven't spent much time in Dallas per se.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2023, 10:49 AM

625 posts, read 667,291 times
I just looked around my house - I have ~20 trees on my not that big lot. They include giant pecan, cedar and oak in addition to more decorative trees and Crape Myrtles that have grown much taller than my 2-story house. I am not sure where the dividing line is - but the farther North I go from Dallas - the less trees I see, but in older neighborhoods there are many trees. (My problem is more about too much shade and falling branches).

Old 04-25-2023, 11:17 AM

4,527 posts, read 2,669,541 times
Well, trees:

It seems to escape people that Dallas is at the southern end of the Great Plains. Naturally, trees grow in draws and along creekbeds and in river bottoms. Most of the older neighborhoods have trees that were planted when the subdivision was developed, except where the trees already existing in draws, creekbeds, and river bottoms were left. Age of trees = age of subdivision.

If this upsets you, don't move to the Great Plains.

And I will strongly disagree that the flat terrain of the Great Plains is ”boring” or ”unsightly”. Maybe to those who can only accept one aesthetic view of landscapes. To those of us who love this land, it is far from boring or unsightly. I prefer to use terms like ”open” and ”big sky” and ”a feeling of freedom” and ”lengthy vistas” and ”watching the clouds roll in from miles away”.

Old 04-26-2023, 07:16 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,709,862 times
I think the tree thing boils down to a few things.

1. Many parts, especially the newer parts of the DFW metroplex do not have a lot of trees. Older neighborhoods do have more trees and that's why I prefer living in those areas over somewhere like Frisco.

2. The trees that are here are more sparse and appear to be planted more recently rather than many years ago. The street in front of me has trees, but they are all equally spaced apart between the sidewalk and the curb and probably planted by the city or builders. This has a different aesthetic than if they were planted at random.

3. The highways in DFW don't have trees lining the side like you'll see in other areas. Could also be because many of our highways are raised and the trees just aren't tall enough.

Old 04-26-2023, 10:10 AM

176 posts, read 291,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Well, trees:

It seems to escape people that Dallas is at the southern end of the Great Plains. Naturally, trees grow in draws and along creekbeds and in river bottoms. Most of the older neighborhoods have trees that were planted when the subdivision was developed, except where the trees already existing in draws, creekbeds, and river bottoms were left. Age of trees = age of subdivision.

If this upsets you, don't move to the Great Plains.

And I will strongly disagree that the flat terrain of the Great Plains is ”boring” or ”unsightly”. Maybe to those who can only accept one aesthetic view of landscapes. To those of us who love this land, it is far from boring or unsightly. I prefer to use terms like ”open” and ”big sky” and ”a feeling of freedom” and ”lengthy vistas” and ”watching the clouds roll in from miles away”.

This is really well stated. Having lived in Charlotte for 7+ years and now residing in Collin County, my impression is that the Carolinas do have a significantly greater tree canopy. That said, older Dallas neighborhoods are comparable. And Dallas does have an open, big sky, feeling that is missing in the Carolinas simply because the trees in the Carolinas block the horizon and sunrise/sunset. I love both areas, and feel we are all very luck to live in a country with so much natural and diverse beauty.

Old 04-26-2023, 02:13 PM

573 posts, read 335,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeNC View Post
This is really well stated. Having lived in Charlotte for 7+ years and now residing in Collin County, my impression is that the Carolinas do have a significantly greater tree canopy. That said, older Dallas neighborhoods are comparable. And Dallas does have an open, big sky, feeling that is missing in the Carolinas simply because the trees in the Carolinas block the horizon and sunrise/sunset. I love both areas, and feel we are all very luck to live in a country with so much natural and diverse beauty.
Correct. Also, a lot of this is common sense and does not require living in a city for any length of time, but just a visit. I've visited Portland, lots of great tree canopy. Lived in Denver - lots of trees in old parts (used to live north of the Cherry Creak area), but the canopy in the suburbs are lacking. Visited Charlotte, easy to see the tree canopy is great there. Live in Dallas, and have a great canopy in East Dallas and other older parts of Dallas but the suburbs are also lacking.

So wow, DFW has more number of trees vs trees in Charlotte (without acknowledging that it's obvious that DFW has over 9000 sq miles and Charlotte metro much less than that (3k)). Going by number of trees is stupid. Only the homers want to say the trees are greater in DFW.

Old 04-26-2023, 02:44 PM

19,778 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilsn3r View Post
Correct. Also, a lot of this is common sense and does not require living in a city for any length of time, but just a visit. I've visited Portland, lots of great tree canopy. Lived in Denver - lots of trees in old parts (used to live north of the Cherry Creak area), but the canopy in the suburbs are lacking. Visited Charlotte, easy to see the tree canopy is great there. Live in Dallas, and have a great canopy in East Dallas and other older parts of Dallas but the suburbs are also lacking.

So wow, DFW has more number of trees vs trees in Charlotte (without acknowledging that it's obvious that DFW has over 9000 sq miles and Charlotte metro much less than that (3k)). Going by number of trees is stupid. Only the homers want to say the trees are greater in DFW.
No. At least the bits I posted pertain to Dallas not DFW. Further, the info. I posted is in rates (per acres and per person) and gross numbers not just gross numbers.

Old 04-26-2023, 03:33 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,368,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeNC View Post
Growing up in South Carolina, I think I saw a grand total of one sunset, because of the trees and hills. They are really spectacular in Dallas, especially in October and early November. My first office in Dallas was on the 27th Floor facing due west. The first year, I used to stay in my office after finishing work just to look out the window.

Old 04-26-2023, 06:18 PM

573 posts, read 335,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Growing up in South Carolina, I think I saw a grand total of one sunset, because of the trees and hills. They are really spectacular in Dallas, especially in October and early November. My first office in Dallas was on the 27th Floor facing due west. The first year, I used to stay in my office after finishing work just to look out the window.
That's unusual. You'd have to have seen more than one sunset in SC. I'd see them in Denver with the sun setting behind the mountains, and when I worked in a 12th fl office in DTC it was better. Charlotte has many more office towers and seeing the sun set behind hills are beautiful too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas