Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2023, 02:19 PM

353 posts, read 996,100 times

Advertisements

Hello!

Looking for feedback from any North Carolinians who’ve relocated to the DFW (or TX in general) area. Why’d you leave NC? What area of NC? How do things compare?

Hubby has a choice of working in Charlotte or DFW (Addison or Plano).

And insights are appreciated!

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2023, 11:02 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,255,953 times
I worked with a family of 7 that moved from Charlotte to DFW last fall. They had lived there 11 years. They ended up buying a house in north Garland. The wife is a teacher in Plano ISD and the husband is in the tech business. He works from home. They moved to get a change of pace, they have no family here. They have made a lot of friends since then and they looove being here. Their girls are thriving in school.

Naima

Old 04-17-2023, 11:21 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,488,021 times
Well....I'm from SC, but my family spent summers in Ashville area. One thing I would say that is a lot different is probably 2-3 hours from Charlotte you can be at the beach or in the mountains. Maybe you can be in DC or Atlanta? As my buddy told me before I moved to DFW from Bay area...is when you are 2-3 hours from Dallas, well...you are 2-3 hours from Dallas. Not to say there are not interesting places to go, but not the same as West Coast or East Coast. I remember the summers being pretty hot and humid in NC and SC, but it is dang hot in Texas in the Summer.....can be 2-3 months super hot where it is not a lot of fun to be outside.

Guess it can also depend on if you like green and nature....if you're inside most of the time, then maybe it doesn't matter.

I'm guessing cost of living is probably about the same.

Is the stress/pay/growth of the job the same?

Old 04-18-2023, 07:33 AM

1,375 posts, read 1,052,555 times
I would go to Charlotte if it was me. Dallas or DFW is boring, can get very hot from May-Sept. Nothing scenic and traffic gets worse every year.

Old 04-18-2023, 12:31 PM

21 posts, read 34,504 times
I lived in Dallas (M Streets) from 2010-2016, moved to Charlotte (Old Cotswold) in April of 2016, and turned right back around to move back to Dallas in 2017. My husband, who is from Columbia, SC, and we ended up not liking much of anything about Charlotte, after having really high hopes for it.

We are big travelers and thought it would be nice to be closer to the mountains and beach, but ended up missing the fact that Dallas is in the middle of the country, and most trips on a plane do not last longer than 3 hours or require a connection. Most of the direct flights out of Charlotte are only on the east coast.

We found the people there to be incredibly rude! They were very insular, and did not like newcomers. It is my understanding that a lot more people have moved there since Covid, so maybe you will find others that are new to the area too and befriend them. We also moved during a very heated state and presidential election cycle. The behavior we saw from people day-to-day was horrible. I have never witnessed strangers treat each other so poorly! It felt like we were living in a Twitter thread.

We found that there is not much going on in Charlotte. Their arts scene is pretty much nonexistent, if that is what you are into. The traffic is terrible due to poor city planning and infrastructure. I'm sure it hasn't gotten any better with more people moving there and nowhere to expand the main thoroughfare - I-77. When it comes to shopping, most of the stores there were B and C stores. For example, their Nordstrom was just sad. Why even bother? The grocery stores are definitely lacking there, too. It was the land of Harris Teeter and one Whole Foods (they have since added another). Dallas has many Whole Foods and Central Markets. In the same vein, we found the restaurant scene in Charlotte to be lacking too. Overall we found that Charlotte lacks in any sort of city pride or sense of culture. The heart of the city is South Park, which is a mall.

Also, Charlotte's economy is very much centered around banking. DFW has a wide variety of industries.

We were lured in by a very pretty city, and close proximity to the beach and mountains but decided that our everyday life took a steep decline moving from Dallas to Charlotte. Think about what matters most to you in your daily life to make your decision is my suggestion!

Old 04-20-2023, 10:11 AM

12,839 posts, read 9,562,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasParent86 View Post
I lived in Dallas (M Streets) from 2010-2016, moved to Charlotte (Old Cotswold) in April of 2016, and turned right back around to move back to Dallas in 2017. My husband, who is from Columbia, SC, and we ended up not liking much of anything about Charlotte, after having really high hopes for it.

We are big travelers and thought it would be nice to be closer to the mountains and beach, but ended up missing the fact that Dallas is in the middle of the country, and most trips on a plane do not last longer than 3 hours or require a connection. Most of the direct flights out of Charlotte are only on the east coast.

We found the people there to be incredibly rude! They were very insular, and did not like newcomers. It is my understanding that a lot more people have moved there since Covid, so maybe you will find others that are new to the area too and befriend them. We also moved during a very heated state and presidential election cycle. The behavior we saw from people day-to-day was horrible. I have never witnessed strangers treat each other so poorly! It felt like we were living in a Twitter thread.

We found that there is not much going on in Charlotte. Their arts scene is pretty much nonexistent, if that is what you are into. The traffic is terrible due to poor city planning and infrastructure. I'm sure it hasn't gotten any better with more people moving there and nowhere to expand the main thoroughfare - I-77. When it comes to shopping, most of the stores there were B and C stores. For example, their Nordstrom was just sad. Why even bother? The grocery stores are definitely lacking there, too. It was the land of Harris Teeter and one Whole Foods (they have since added another). Dallas has many Whole Foods and Central Markets. In the same vein, we found the restaurant scene in Charlotte to be lacking too. Overall we found that Charlotte lacks in any sort of city pride or sense of culture. The heart of the city is South Park, which is a mall.

Also, Charlotte's economy is very much centered around banking. DFW has a wide variety of industries.

We were lured in by a very pretty city, and close proximity to the beach and mountains but decided that our everyday life took a steep decline moving from Dallas to Charlotte. Think about what matters most to you in your daily life to make your decision is my suggestion!
Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Old 04-20-2023, 10:39 AM

338 posts, read 299,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasParent86 View Post

Thanks for sharing. When we started looking for a new state to live in we had chosen NC(Raleigh/Charlotte) and TX(Houston/Dallas). We were able to rule out NC due to some of the reasons you mentioned above. Still haven't moved but will be moving this summer. Will move to either Atlanta or Dallas.

Old 04-21-2023, 05:03 PM

39 posts, read 23,953 times
We considered a move to CLT from the Triangle, but after visiting there a couple times, never found CLT very appealing. In general the people seemed less friendly, the city uninteresting, and being further from the beach than the Triangle were among the reasons we didn't move there.

DFW has better restaurants and food options, and airports than NC, so far we prefer NC for a number of reasons.

Old 04-21-2023, 07:51 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,303,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmtex View Post
I would go to Charlotte if it was me. Dallas or DFW is boring, can get very hot from May-Sept. Nothing scenic and traffic gets worse every year.
What makes Charlotte more vibrant and entertaining of a place to live? Curious because I've always viewed CLT as a very blah place. Carowinds is a nice amusement park though.

Old 04-21-2023, 08:09 PM

39 posts, read 23,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamLynn View Post
Guess it can also depend on if you like green and nature....if you're inside most of the time, then maybe it doesn't matter.

I'm guessing cost of living is probably about the same.

Is the stress/pay/growth of the job the same?
The greenery and more sun cover in similarly residential areas to here are indeed among the things we miss about the Triangle area of NC, along with the overall milder climate.

We find the cost of living here to be considerably more than the NC Triangle, which is probably about as expensive as that of CLT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas