Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2023, 09:58 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,402,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Take a drive through Carrollton, and you’ll see that for the most part, it is on a decline
If this house were in the middle of Carrollton, that all might apply, but it's it's practically in Plano, so as long as the high school (Hebron in LISD) remains ok, it's fine. If the borderline between Carrollton and Plano was straight, it would be in Plano. The houses to the south across the street are in Plano.

Also, the bathroom is a bit too much to me, but the rest is fine, and if you can afford $2m, you can afford a few thousand bucks to change some tile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2023, 09:11 AM

588 posts, read 485,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovepizza1975 View Post
I'm about to sell my west Plano house (due to divorce) and I am planning to buy again in Plano (in a cheaper neighborhood) next year.

I'm intrigued...what "demographic trends"?
Me too. What trends do we need to study? If not Frisco, Plano, Allen and other popular towns of Collin County, then where? Gunter or Tyler?

Old 06-01-2023, 09:34 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,402,042 times
Quote:
Me too. What trends do we need to study? If not Frisco, Plano, Allen and other popular towns of Collin County, then where? Gunter or Tyler?

I'm assuming that person is referring to the silly idea that there are lots of 'boomer' homeowners, and they are going to sell their homes in roughly the same short period (due to their age and or deaths), causing home prices to fall. This can effect some neighborhoods, but across entire metros or across the entire US? It's total nonsense.

Plus the median age of home owners in the major Collin County cities is actually pretty young compared to the oldest median homeowner age in the US (which are the standard list of high priced metros), and even in those metros it's 55 years old, which is approximately 25-30 years before most of them die, so it's not real useful to people needing homes in the near to immediate future.

Old 06-01-2023, 09:48 AM

329 posts, read 283,812 times
Quote:
I'm about to sell my west Plano house (due to divorce) and I am planning to buy again in Plano (in a cheaper neighborhood) next year.

I'm intrigued...what "demographic trends"?
I’ve visited the Whole Foods at Park and Preston half a dozen times over the past several months. Each time, there are hordes of people who appear to be welfare recipients — disheveled, “urban”, and clearly low income.

The fact that I’ve seen these people every time I’ve been to that store indicates that a critical mass of these individuals live in the immediate area. Fifteen or twenty years ago, the idea that these kinds of people would populate any establishments in west Plano was simply unfathomable. You never saw them.

Plano isn’t alone in experiencing these diversifying changes. All Collin County cities have undergone — and continue to undergo — significant demographic decline due to surging low income populations, a process brought about by a multiplicity of high-density apartment construction.

According to an article in the Dallas Morning News from 2021:

Plano has more than 6,000 multifamily housing units, such as apartments and townhomes, under construction or approved, according to the city.”

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...outputType=amp

This was in addition to the 40,000 existing units in Plano at the time. Surely the number of planned apartments in Plano has grown exponentially since then, as there are thousands of new apartment units in planning as part of the Willow Bend mall re-development and at Legacy West in west Plano, alone.

For someone who grew up in Willow Bend and remembers what Willow Bend and more broadly west Plano originally represented and was designed to be — a prestigious, high-income, uncrowded suburban neighborhood with easy access to Dallas — these changes are most unwelcome.

I’ve discussed this phenomena in great detail on this forum to much antagonism, most notably in this post about apartment developments in Plano:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/65099902-post5.html

Apparently, you’re not supposed to notice and discuss these changes. To do so is to be racist and classist, according to many posters here.

In any case, as I describe in the post above, the demographic changes and decline that Collin County cities are now experiencing is a pattern of decline that has befallen many other cities in DFW, most notably Grand Prairie, Mesquite, DeSoto, Irving, and of course Carrollton.

Given the unrelenting pace of new apartment developments in Plano, Frisco, Allen, and most notably, McKinney, these demographic changes are likely to continue to accelerate in the future, which will likely adversely impact schools and property values.

Hence my statement about my aversion to purchasing a $2MM house (truthfully, any house) in Collin County.

Last point, I personally know many wealthy, long-time Willow Bend residents. Many of them are empty-nester Boomers whose kids attended Plano West within several years of me (I’m 35). Most of these people are either ambivalent towards or unaware of the dramatic changes of local school demographics, notably Plano West and Shepton.

It’s possible that because the changes happened gradually over time, they just never noticed. For me, the change is stark because I left Dallas in 2004 and moved back in 2021.

It’s also possible that these people live in a bubble, considering that the homes in my parents old neighborhood average in the $1.5MM to $2.5MM range and have seen little turnover and virtually no demographic changes in twenty years.

Despite Willow Bend retaining its prestige and desirability today, it’s undeniable that the immediate larger neighborhood (75093) is in decline. In a decade, when both Plano West and Shepton are over 50% economically disadvantaged, Willow Bend will be akin to Preston Hollow: an island of affluence flanked by decay and decline.

Old 06-01-2023, 10:36 AM

674 posts, read 334,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xalistiq View Post
I’ve visited the Whole Foods at Park and Preston half a dozen times over the past several months. Each time, there are hordes of people who appear to be welfare recipients — disheveled, “urban”, and clearly low income.

The fact that I’ve seen these people every time I’ve been to that store indicates that a critical mass of these individuals live in the immediate area. Fifteen or twenty years ago, the idea that these kinds of people would populate any establishments in west Plano was simply unfathomable. You never saw them.

Plano isn’t alone in experiencing these diversifying changes. All Collin County cities have undergone — and continue to undergo — significant demographic decline due to surging low income populations, a process brought about by a multiplicity of high-density apartment construction.

According to an article in the Dallas Morning News from 2021:

Plano has more than 6,000 multifamily housing units, such as apartments and townhomes, under construction or approved, according to the city.”

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...outputType=amp

This was in addition to the 40,000 existing units in Plano at the time. Surely the number of planned apartments in Plano has grown exponentially since then, as there are thousands of new apartment units in planning as part of the Willow Bend mall re-development and at Legacy West in west Plano, alone.

For someone who grew up in Willow Bend and remembers what Willow Bend and more broadly west Plano originally represented and was designed to be — a prestigious, high-income, uncrowded suburban neighborhood with easy access to Dallas — these changes are most unwelcome.

I’ve discussed this phenomena in great detail on this forum to much antagonism, most notably in this post about apartment developments in Plano:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/65099902-post5.html

Apparently, you’re not supposed to notice and discuss these changes. To do so is to be racist and classist, according to many posters here.

In any case, as I describe in the post above, the demographic changes and decline that Collin County cities are now experiencing is a pattern of decline that has befallen many other cities in DFW, most notably Grand Prairie, Mesquite, DeSoto, Irving, and of course Carrollton.

Given the unrelenting pace of new apartment developments in Plano, Frisco, Allen, and most notably, McKinney, these demographic changes are likely to continue to accelerate in the future, which will likely adversely impact schools and property values.

Hence my statement about my aversion to purchasing a $2MM house (truthfully, any house) in Collin County.

Last point, I personally know many wealthy, long-time Willow Bend residents. Many of them are empty-nester Boomers whose kids attended Plano West within several years of me (I’m 35). Most of these people are either ambivalent towards or unaware of the dramatic changes of local school demographics, notably Plano West and Shepton.

It’s possible that because the changes happened gradually over time, they just never noticed. For me, the change is stark because I left Dallas in 2004 and moved back in 2021.

It’s also possible that these people live in a bubble, considering that the homes in my parents old neighborhood average in the $1.5MM to $2.5MM range and have seen little turnover and virtually no demographic changes in twenty years.

Despite Willow Bend retaining its prestige and desirability today, it’s undeniable that the immediate larger neighborhood (75093) is in decline. In a decade, when both Plano West and Shepton are over 50% economically disadvantaged, Willow Bend will be akin to Preston Hollow: an island of affluence flanked by decay and decline.

Let me guess, you voted for Lily Bao.

I'm sorry I asked.

Old 06-01-2023, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Let me guess, you voted for Lily Bao.

I'm sorry I asked.
If I lived in Plano, I would have gladly voted for Lily. Enjoy the “cultural enrichment” and decline you voted for.

Old 06-01-2023, 11:18 AM

674 posts, read 334,039 times
Quote:
If I lived in Plano, I would have gladly voted for Lily. Enjoy the “cultural enrichment” and decline you voted for.

Wow, so many dog whistles

Old 06-01-2023, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Wow, so many dog whistles
Dog whistles or realities?

Leftists tend to ignore facts which aren’t convenient and pretend that demographics don’t change neighborhoods. People like you advocate for “diversity” and then accuse people who oppose the decline that such diversity invariably brings as intolerant, all the while the communities you beset crumble and fall.

I am so happy my parents came to their senses and left Plano. It is in an irredeemable downward spiral and I’m thankful I won’t have to see what eventually becomes of it.

Old 06-01-2023, 12:46 PM

631 posts, read 884,567 times
Quote:
Dog whistles or realities?

Leftists tend to ignore facts which aren’t convenient and pretend that demographics don’t change neighborhoods. People like you advocate for “diversity” and then accuse people who oppose the decline that such diversity invariably brings as intolerant, all the while the communities you beset crumble and fall.

I am so happy my parents came to their senses and left Plano. It is in an irredeemable downward spiral and I’m thankful I won’t have to see what eventually becomes of it.
Do you live with your parents?

Old 06-01-2023, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie972 View Post
Do you live with your parents?
No.

But I won’t be visiting them in Plano, and won’t have to witness the continued destruction of the neighborhood I once proudly called home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas