Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2023, 08:39 AM

8,155 posts, read 8,368,434 times

Advertisements

I don’t believe home prices will drop significantly in the DFW area. I own an investment townhouse in north Euless in GCISD in zip code 76039. Periodically a 2 Bedroom townhouse comes on the market and they are generally under $300K and are snatched up pretty quickly. They also have a 1 bedroom model that usually listed for about $250K. Something like that would be doable for you…..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2023, 09:08 AM

27 posts, read 25,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas12 View Post
Hope you all are doing great this morning!

Just curious to know if it's smart to buy a home in this current market. I believe I'm mentally prepared to make drastic moves, but maybe holding back would be a smarter decision.

Primarily a townhome or a single-family home peaks my interest in buying, but open to suggestions regarding pricing. Plano, Richardson, Dallas, and Allen are my target areas.

Quick glance at my finances:
  • 31 year-old male; single
  • 65k salary with large upside
  • Over 810 credit score
  • Zero debt (no student loans)
  • Roughly 100k net worth (80% in investments; 20% in high yield savings)
  • Goal to save an additional 12k in four months

Advice to OP: Instead of purchasing a home right now, use your capital to expand your skills to land a higher paying job (additional training/certification, MBA, etc..).

Old 08-01-2023, 09:55 AM

355 posts, read 470,027 times
Thank you everyone! I appreciate the advise on needing to expand my skills and get a higher paying job. The goal within the next six months is to find that and also scope the real estate market for something I'm comfortable purchasing.

I'll keep in mind the costs in addition to the mortgage and use that to calibrate my strategy.

Old 08-01-2023, 10:54 AM

7,665 posts, read 3,290,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipherv1 View Post
Advice to OP: Instead of purchasing a home right now, use your capital to expand your skills to land a higher paying job (additional training/certification, MBA, etc..).

Absolutely! Move up the earnings ladder first. Locking yourself into real estate as a single male puts the cart before the horse. If prices had already dropped and you said "I have plenty of career options in Dallas and I can lock myself up here for the long run" then it might be different. I think it is prudent to wait to see what prices do over the next year. If you really are stuck on that location then it may not matter because you might be able to both increase your earning capacity and buy real estate. But, I think the point is that in the short run you probably have nothing to lose by focusing on the career/education instead.

Old 08-01-2023, 12:55 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,129,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas12 View Post
Thank you everyone! I appreciate the advise on needing to expand my skills and get a higher paying job. The goal within the next six months is to find that and also scope the real estate market for something I'm comfortable purchasing.

I'll keep in mind the costs in addition to the mortgage and use that to calibrate my strategy.
Good choice. As a renter, your career opportunities aren't limited by location. Take a higher paying job with a bad commute in the short term. After your lease expires, find an apartment closer to the office.

Old 08-02-2023, 10:10 AM

1,453 posts, read 1,494,766 times
Normally my #1 question is how long do you plan to stay in this home? I like to hear 3-5 years. The longer you stay the more it probably makes sense. You can ride the small up and down waves, you eliminate rent increases. I'm starting to like single family more than townhomes, but townhomes could be an option for you. Over the long term for most investors I've know and worked with in DFW area, they only wish they would have bought more property. I often think about these neighborhoods like north Ft. Worth, Anna, Saginaw and others where houses were $100K and now those same ones are $300-$350K or more.

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/forum/dall...-sf-homes.html

Old 08-03-2023, 12:00 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,093,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Not going to happen.
1. People from all over the USA and the world are still moving to DFW in droves. Many of them are loaded with cash after selling a home in California and want to buy a home here. As long as those people are still coming, which shows no signs of slowing down, the DFW real estate market will remain high.
2. Corporations continue to relocate to DFW to escape higher-tax states such as California and Illinois, and they bring employees with them who also want to buy homes here. As long as that continues, the DFW real estate market will remain high.
They're only buying new homes which are going up. Old houses aren't going up in price outside of a few select neighborhoods. Most haven't budged all year, and they probably aren't going to. The job market isn't as rosy as the numbers make it seem. As noted earlier, there are a lot of hiring and/or pay freezes. Incomes aren't going to just keep going up.

Old 08-03-2023, 12:11 PM

198 posts, read 187,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Absolutely! Move up the earnings ladder first. Locking yourself into real estate as a single male puts the cart before the horse. If prices had already dropped and you said "I have plenty of career options in Dallas and I can lock myself up here for the long run" then it might be different. I think it is prudent to wait to see what prices do over the next year. If you really are stuck on that location then it may not matter because you might be able to both increase your earning capacity and buy real estate. But, I think the point is that in the short run you probably have nothing to lose by focusing on the career/education instead.
This is great advise.
As time goes by, the ability to focus on career/education diminishes. If u start lower down the chain, pulling yourself higher gets harder every year. On the other hand, the accumulated wealth over (maybe) 30 years when you start at a higher career level vs not is significant and will likely dwarf any wealth that you sacrificed due to not having a real estate asset.

Old 08-03-2023, 12:23 PM

11,864 posts, read 26,910,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard123 View Post
They're only buying new homes which are going up. Old houses aren't going up in price outside of a few select neighborhoods. Most haven't budged all year, and they probably aren't going to. The job market isn't as rosy as the numbers make it seem. As noted earlier, there are a lot of hiring and/or pay freezes. Incomes aren't going to just keep going up.
No, not all of the relocating people are buying new homes. Many of them are buying existing homes, especially in close-in neighborhoods, or homes with acreage.

I do agree on the job market. Many industries (including the one where I am employed) are very slow right now.

Old 08-03-2023, 12:30 PM

4,564 posts, read 2,706,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
If you do this, you're betting that your income will increase faster than the price of housing.

I've made that bet three times in my life and I lost that bet three times in my life. Three times when I would have been better off buying the house NOW. That was in approx. 1997, 2005, 2020.

Do you feel lucky?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: