Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 03:35 PM

3 posts, read 7,520 times

Advertisements

Hello... My husband has just got a job at Texas A&M in Commerce and we are trying to figure out where to live. I will almost certainly be working in Dallas. So we are trying to figure out where we could live in between the two.

We are a young (30 years old) professional couple, no kids, so we'd like to be able to get to nighlife and attractions fairly easily. However coming from the world's most expensive property market (London) we are also excited at the prospect of a slightly more laid-back, affordable life -- especially being able to rent a decent-sized place with a garden so we can get a dog!

Wherever we live it should have a sense of "place", i.e., a town centre where people walk about and that is not falling apart and with a few decent shops. I don't want to drive 20 miles evey time I need a pint of milk. Am I unduly prejudiced to think that is a danger in Texas?

Another constraint is that we wouldn't like to have the expense and hassle of two cars if we can help it. However, I'm guessing that if that's our approach, we really only can live in the Dallas metro area (because I don't have a licence yet so if there's only one driver it will definitely be my husband). Curious to hear people's thoughts.

If we do live in the Dallas metro area, can anyone recommend an area on the east/north side of town (giving easier access to Commerce) that is young and fun?

Sorry for the babbling question. Hope you can help!

Thanks
Tamar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 03:40 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Do you have any idea of where you might be working in Dallas?

Cheers!

Old 06-26-2008, 04:04 PM

6,822 posts, read 14,036,923 times
Greenville would be a good compromise but I am not sure if they will have the kind of amenities you want. My wife has a cousin who works in Commerce will her husband works in Dallas. They live in Fate which is just north of Rockwall. Commerce is a pretty good drive but they are close enough to Dallas to enjoy the city.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:23 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
I'd go w/ Rockwall. This puts you with the "worst" commute for traffic closer to Dallas. Rockwall is growing and you could very likely get a job in Rockwall are close by in Garland. Getting to downtown Dallas from Rockwall is not bad either be it for commuting to a job or going out for a BIG night on the town. Otherwise there are TONS of things to do in Rockwall w/ the development going on at The Harbor and all up and down I-30. VERY family friendly as well for when you want to start a family you won't have to pick up and move to a completely new place. A lot of people in Rockwall commute to Commerce to Texas A&M.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:26 PM

6,822 posts, read 14,036,923 times
I would concur. If she wants the joys of living in the big city Rockwall would be a great choice. Fate would be better if a more rural setting is whats desired. Between the two I would personally go with Rockwall.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:19 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
It's going to be tough with one car and that one car is commuting to Commerce and back every day. Make sure and check DART (mass transit) when you are looking for a place to live.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:51 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,238,673 times
What type of work do you do? Unless it is something highly specialized, I vote for Rockwall......if you live there, you shouldn't have to go to Dallas to work - lots of business/offices, etc. Any other town between Commerce and Dallas would be very rural and maybe too much of a culture shock. I did my graduate work at A&M-Commerce - very quiet, slow-moving little town, and a very inexpensive place to live.
Hope your husband enjoys his job and that things work out well for you.

Old 06-28-2008, 03:14 PM

3 posts, read 7,520 times
Default Thinking maybe about Dallas suburbs...

Hi everyone and thanks for your replies. To answer your questions: I haven't found a job yet. I am a journalist so I'm thinking there will probably not be much for me in Rockwall (sorry if they have a very fine publishing industry that I am overlooking through ignorance!) and I will almost certainly work in Dallas. The other thing I might do is freelance from home, but in that case it would possibly be even more important to be close to the city so I can meet people and not get bored!

I had heard about Rockwall and it seems a very nice location. But the more I think about it I would really rather not have two cars. Rockwall is unfortunately beyond the reach of DART. I could take a taxi to Garland and get on DART from there but this could be very expensive to do every day.

What I'm wondering now is where in Dallas might be most suitable (seeing as DART seems to go as far east as Garland and as far north as Plano). I'm assuming the shortest commute to Commerce would be from Garland. But Google seems to think it would be just as short from the centre of Dallas! Could this possibly be true?

Thanks everyone
Tamar

Old 06-28-2008, 04:28 PM

11,856 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Rowlett is on the DART and is the next suburb East from Rockwall. It will be a longer commute for your husband due to having to go over Lake Ray Hubbard. Make sure you live close to a bus stop as not all of Rowlett is close to them. Cabs are impossible in the suburbs unless you call the cab company and they send on e out to you. Honestly, I'd plan on getting a second car ASAP. You really will need it.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:34 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,435,423 times
Two people both working and living in Dallas need two cars. Unfortunate but true. The city sprawls, and aside from the few areas served by rail, Dart is pretty terrible. It can take over an hour to go a few miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas