Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 10:20 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Now eastern Tennessee would be wonderful with the mountains and cooler weather. It's very lovely, but Memphis.....no way.

Exactly. If I had to move to Tennessee, it would be Nashville. But Memphis? No way...Crime, Crime, CRIME, endless poverty, thick racial tension, and it's right north of that state that I used to live in. No way, no how.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 10:34 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,258,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Hilarious. Maybe if you had moved to L.A., or San Diego, or some place people actually wanted to be for reasons other than Elvis I can see gloating. But Memphis, TN?
ouch!! that was cold!

Old 08-10-2008, 10:55 PM

681 posts, read 2,360,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Hello my fellow Texans and Texas residents.

I recently moved to Tennesse from the DFW area. I just checked the temps here and there.

My old Texas zip's current temperature: 102 degrees

My new Tennesse zip's current temperature: 72 degrees

A 30 degree difference!

The Mastercard people are right:
"Memphis-ship" has its rewards.

Yeah, but everything else I hear about Memphis is ONE HOT MESS.

Keep cool bjh!

Old 08-10-2008, 11:13 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,950 times
Memphis looked like a cute city while passing through... but the skeeters were unbearable when we stopped to get gas. I wouldn't mind visiting for a weekend though

Old 08-11-2008, 12:20 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
72 this time of year in Memphis is an abberation, must be an unseasonal cool front. It will warm up soon enough, Memphis and the entire Mississippi Valley up to St. Louis can get over 100 this time of year.

I was about to be jealous when I first read the post, immediately thought the OP was in Eastern Tennessee, but will stay snug and toasty here in DFW rather than feel one upped by someone living in Memphis.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:51 AM

428 posts, read 1,396,697 times
One of my friends got a offered a great paying job in Memphis as a pediatrician. He only lasted 1 year. He detested how divided (racially, economically) that place was. Dallas is a city Memphis is a town. No comparison.
Enjoy yourself in TN.

While I am typing I am at a swimming pool party holding a Strawberry Margarita with Salt. Adios...

Old 08-11-2008, 08:44 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,597,112 times
Looking at the average temps on weather.com shows that each month's average daily high and lows are about 3 to 6 degrees lower than Dallas. While lower on average, it's not that much (daily high in July of 92 in Memphis; 96 in Dallas), and IMO, certainly not a reason to move. I suspect the OP had other reasons for moving, but I have to say that posting about one day's temp, in which 72 degrees is 19 degrees below the norm, is a bit lame and really is just asking for all the prods and pokes coming from the folks here.

When you can find a real, sustainable reason to move from Dallas to Memphis, we'll all eagerly listen. Until then, please keep these petty posts off our forum. Thank you.

Brian

Old 08-11-2008, 10:54 AM

430 posts, read 1,359,312 times
Memphis has one of the highest Conceal Carry registrations in the US for a good reason.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:57 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,631,332 times
I left TX to move to Knoxville, and while as far as scenery and weather goes it was much better, that was about it. Now I've moved back to the Dallas area. That being said, during my time in Tennessee, the likeability of it starts dropping dramatically with each mile west of Jackson,TN one travels until you reach near zero in Memphis. Memphis has a nice river walk on the Mississippi River and outside of that I can't think of anything that stands out at all.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:54 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
Well, I certainly seemed to have struck some nerves. I'm glad some of you took my post in the good humor it was intended.

You're right avg. joe, it is spelled Tennessee. My bad. Guess i was just in too much of a hurry to get back outside right then.

As for racial remarks, veiled and otherwise, a place is what you make of it to a great extent. Plus, there are lots of good people here of all races.

My advise is to try not to stereotype others based on either race or geography. Having been born and raised in Texas I have experienced that as a Texan. Though we are all members of groups, we each live our lives as individuals.

That's all. Lecture's over. Oh and about Nashville? I could live in Nashville. But I'd be thinking of Memphis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas