Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 08:55 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times

Advertisements

your music background if it is orchestral may not fit well with most hs programs in texas which are geared for marching band due to the football frenzy

Bell HS in HEB ISD has great music program but most of the focus is on marching band and they have won Band of America several times and best in state many times as well

suggest you do consider one of the magnet music schools like Booker Washington in Dallas or maybe even the fort worth academy of fine arts--which is a charter school
fwafa.com - Home
there is state money but parents also pay a tuition

you might also look into teaching in the college system here if you have PhD
this is link to faculty for music dept at Dallas Baptist
College of Fine Arts - Music Business
I am sure that many of them are part time and prehaps not tenured so don't know what salary that would mean
but TCU in FTW has strong music program
UNT in Denton is world-known for its music program which is focused more on jazz from what I understand...

plenty of music in this area but it is true that you wil find it difficult to get job unless you fill a real niche in a high school program because of the salary you would compel

And Bostonia--it is true that most TX districts do their hiring before the end of school for the coming year
her best bet is to either work as sub and try to get know so that there will be staff people who say "Oh, let's hire ???" if someone retires or leaves or gets promoted...
OR to maybe work on another certification credit--get hours towards her masters
does not pay in my book to take job with charter school or if she is elem certified in a daycare situation...most principal think that taints a person no matter how qualified...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 03:35 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,433,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebflat View Post
Relocating from Massachusetts to DFW area in 2 years.. Not sure about where until I find a teaching position. I am having difficulty finding a scale of highest Texas teacher salaries. Each ISD posts, but I'm wondering about circumstances. I am in my 18th year of teaching music, and have a Doctorate, I know salary will be lower, but so will costs. I teach in a very urban high crime city school and prefer it over rural. Any thoughts or places to research??
Thanks so much
Dave
I would look into Northwest ISD. It is a big school district(located in North Fort Worth) and one of the highest paying in the state. People from all over want to get a job with them as it is a very good school district. Teachers are in high demand all over the DFW area right now as every district is growing. At Northwest, you would make $54,189 with 18 years and a doctorate. next year, it will be even higher as they raise the salaries up every year by quite a bit and on each step you also get more money. Northwest currently has 1 High School, but the second one opens next August and its called Byron Nelson High School and it is in Trophy Club. There is a bunch of schools(elementary,middle, high) and more opening up each year. Hope this helps!

Old 09-21-2008, 04:38 PM

DFW8--Teachers ARE NOT in high demand in DFW market--there is a surplus in the applicants to jobs ratio

what do you think is going to happen to the teachers being cut by Dallas ISD--they are not going to be able to find work teaching this year or probably next...and their numbers will cause a big rise in the looking-for-work numbers.
I feel sorry for them--they are getting the shaft--but many people would say that is only to be expected from Dallas ISD...

Northwest -- like most ISDs--pays about 1000 a year more from one year to the next--that is not "quite a bit" in most people's point of view--in fact there are times when it does not pay for the offsetting taxes/retirement deductions and increase in insurance costs...

I don't know where you get your information from but you could just check the NISD site
http://www.nisdtx.org/120710426161926170/lib/120710426161926170/08-09%20comp%20plan.pdf?120710426161926170Nav=|&NodeI D=1359 (broken link)

Old 09-21-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
DFW8--Teachers ARE NOT in high demand in DFW market--there is a surplus in the applicants to jobs ratio

what do you think is going to happen to the teachers being cut by Dallas ISD--they are not going to be able to find work teaching this year or probably next...and their numbers will cause a big rise in the looking-for-work numbers.
I feel sorry for them--they are getting the shaft--but many people would say that is only to be expected from Dallas ISD...

Northwest -- like most ISDs--pays about 1000 a year more from one year to the next--that is not "quite a bit" in most people's point of view--in fact there are times when it does not pay for the offsetting taxes/retirement deductions and increase in insurance costs...

I don't know where you get your information from but you could just check the NISD site
http://www.nisdtx.org/120710426161926170/lib/120710426161926170/08-09%20comp%20plan.pdf?120710426161926170Nav=|&NodeI D=1359 (broken link)
First of all, I know the superintendent and many people from Northwest ISD really well, so I know how the system works there. This year, they gave teachers a $3,000 raise plus the next step's raise, so that's a $4000 raise, which is pretty good. Northwest is opening new schools every year and expects to have 115 schools by 2027 when their total enrollment will be over 100,000. You don't think that they are not going to need to hire more teachers there? In fact, I looked at their job openings at the first of the summer and it was like 4 pages long. Also, almost every school district in the DFW area is growing, with some growing faster than others. So that means that they are going to have to hire more teachers. Some districts have to hire so many new teachers that they have to have a job rally/convention where they hire the teachers. I know that Royse City and Rockwall ISD had to have one of those last year because they had to hire so many new teachers.

By the way, if you want to verify this information to check my credibility, you can click on the links provided below:

Northwest ISD | Facilities/Construction (http://www.nisdtx.org/12071042616198250/blank/browse.asp?a=383&BMDRN=2000&BCOB=0&c=65642&1207104 2616198250Nav=|&NodeID=644 - broken link)

Northwest ISD | Human Resources (http://www.nisdtx.org/120710426161926170/site/default.asp - broken link)

Northwest ISD

Old 09-21-2008, 08:38 PM

I know that they are opening schools--I looked at their web site for their salary info--if it is what it is now--then they were paying low before they gave the increase...and lots of districts got money from the state to give bonuses--HEB did as well--doubt that it will happen again...

you can take the info about how many schools they will have by 2027 with a grain of salt...HEB ISD has been supposed to be losing students every year for the past 10 and that has not really matierialized--they built one and will probably have to build another if they every start building that development in north arlington...

do you know how many teachers normally show up at job fairs--and there are plenty of them in the spring--LOTS--
ask any district how many applications it has on file in one year--they get thousands if they have decent pay and decent discipline--which most suburban districts around here do...
they have way more people apply than they hire--most people who are hired are either student teachers who have someone champion their cause or people who know people and can get a foot in the door...
read some other posts in Dallas or Fort Worth or San Antonio boards about teachers--there were many just on these boards who tried to get hired after moving here and had no luck...

Old 09-21-2008, 09:16 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,478,444 times
Quote:

And Bostonia--it is true that most TX districts do their hiring before the end of school for the coming year
her best bet is to either work as sub and try to get know so that there will be staff people who say "Oh, let's hire ???" if someone retires or leaves or gets promoted...
OR to maybe work on another certification credit--get hours towards her masters
does not pay in my book to take job with charter school or if she is elem certified in a daycare situation...most principal think that taints a person no matter how qualified...
Thanks for the tips L2R... She is going to try to do the substitute thing after a spell. I'll mention to her the charter/daycare opin.

Old 09-21-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
I know that they are opening schools--I looked at their web site for their salary info--if it is what it is now--then they were paying low before they gave the increase...and lots of districts got money from the state to give bonuses--HEB did as well--doubt that it will happen again...

you can take the info about how many schools they will have by 2027 with a grain of salt...HEB ISD has been supposed to be losing students every year for the past 10 and that has not really matierialized--they built one and will probably have to build another if they every start building that development in north arlington...

do you know how many teachers normally show up at job fairs--and there are plenty of them in the spring--LOTS--
ask any district how many applications it has on file in one year--they get thousands if they have decent pay and decent discipline--which most suburban districts around here do...
they have way more people apply than they hire--most people who are hired are either student teachers who have someone champion their cause or people who know people and can get a foot in the door...
read some other posts in Dallas or Fort Worth or San Antonio boards about teachers--there were many just on these boards who tried to get hired after moving here and had no luck...
This past year, Northwest ISD gave teachers a big raise besides the one they already get every year for moving up a step. Most years it is not that much. Northwest has always been one of the highest paying districts in the state and always will be. You can't really compare the HEB ISD to Northwest ISD, as areas in the Northwest ISD are growing much faster than cities in the HEB ISD. Believe me, I would know as I am VERY familiar with both of these areas and more than you will ever know or be.

I'm not saying that EVERY teacher that applies for a job in the DFW area will get a job, but every school district is hiring teachers, some more than others depending on several factors. Many applicants for a teaching job at a school are already teaching at another school. Here is a tip for teachers wanting to get a job....you need to find a way to get noticed somehow whether it be through email or something. That way you standout among the other applicants.

loves2read-I'm going to be the better person and not start an argument with you. You have your opinion and I have mine.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:05 AM

134 posts, read 516,864 times
I know three years ago my friend got a job right out of college (with only a BA) with Frisco ISD starting at 38K and she gets a guaranteed 2K raise every year. (So she's now at $42K) Since I live so far north, I don't know anything about Dallas ISD, but Frisco is a really good school district. Probably not the pay you're looking for, since 52K would be a paycut.

I don't know exactly what experienced teachers are getting there, but from all the things I've heard from the teachers at this school, I don't think 52K with a PhD sounds....right, especially with the mandatory 2K yearly raise- my friend would be at that after 8 years with no further education. She's in the process now of working on her Masters' and I know she gets a bigger raise when she gets it.

With all of the new schools being built up here (far north of Dallas), there actually IS a demand for them up here. But again, probably not the pay you're looking for.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:11 AM

669 posts, read 1,612,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXLara View Post
I know three years ago my friend got a job right out of college (with only a BA) with Frisco ISD starting at 38K and she gets a guaranteed 2K raise every year. (So she's now at $42K) Since I live so far north, I don't know anything about Dallas ISD, but Frisco is a really good school district. Probably not the pay you're looking for, since 52K would be a paycut.

I don't know exactly what experienced teachers are getting there, but from all the things I've heard from the teachers at this school, I don't think 52K with a PhD sounds....right, especially with the mandatory 2K yearly raise- my friend would be at that after 8 years with no further education. She's in the process now of working on her Masters' and I know she gets a bigger raise when she gets it.

With all of the new schools being built up here (far north of Dallas), there actually IS a demand for them up here. But again, probably not the pay you're looking for.

Just my 2 cents.
Sorry to say, but 52k w/ a PhD in Education is right. No wonder our best and brightest always don't go into that field. And the mandatory 2k a year raise? Look again.... A big raise w a Masters.... it's small.. just look @ all the salary tables - they're all on-line

Old 09-22-2008, 05:41 AM

DFW8--I taught and retired in HEB--and no I am not that familiar with Northwest ISD but HEB and Birdville ISD have been the two districts in this area that have had the highest entry salaries for the last decade or so--despite the fact that HEB is not growing as a district that much--

sometimes growing as a district is not the best thing in the world--
Southlake Carroll has a very stable school population as does Highland Park--they don't seem to be suffering because they are not growing like Keller or Northwest...
check out this link with salary info for local districts
http://www.ueatexas.com/2007-2008UEASalaryComparisons/2007-2008ComparisonOfTeacherSalariesInTheMetroplex.pdf (broken link)

Northwest is not listed--maybe because it is consider outside the Metroplex since it does have Dallas co schools like Duncanville and Mansfield
Frankly I think HEBs pay scale holds up pretty well when compared to other larger districts with definitely more commercial resources--but then again they also have more overhead--more schools, employees, expenses overall to support...

you certainly have a right to your opinion--
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas