Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 08:59 PM

8 posts, read 14,489 times

Advertisements

I'm currently living in Wisconsin and in need of a change. I've been planning a move south and TX is where I have set my sights. A friend recommended Richardson. I'm not opposed to living directly in Dallas or Fort Worth, but I prefer a smaller population as I'm more of a country girl vs. city. I like a more quiet environment.

I'm just trying to gauge opinions on Richardson and the Dallas Metroplex. I'm looking at apartments that would be near my daughter's school, but there are so many to choose from that it makes it hard.

I'm flying out with some friends in a couple of months to check things out in person to make a better informed decision on where to live. The job hunt is also in progress. Commuting is NOT an issue, so I don't mind traveling further if necessary to get to work.

Any elementary school recommendations would be welcome. My daughter is currently in 4th grade. I'm looking to move in late spring, so I have at least 7 months to plan my move.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 09:07 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
Richardson is not a country setting at all. It's an older inner ring suburb of Dallas and you can't tell when you cross from one to the other - Dallas Richardson Dallas Richardson - it looks all the same. Have you been here before to visit?

Old 09-27-2008, 09:35 PM

468 posts, read 1,887,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Richardson is not a country setting at all. It's an older inner ring suburb of Dallas and you can't tell when you cross from one to the other - Dallas Richardson Dallas Richardson - it looks all the same. Have you been here before to visit?
Ditto everything FarNorthDallas said.

If you really want more of a rural country setting, you need to go further north, say north of McKinney. But that might put you beyond a convenient drive to where ever you might be working. Parts of Richardson I wouldn't want to be driving through in the evening but there are areas that are safe. I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice here so check back often.

Old 09-28-2008, 03:24 AM

6 posts, read 15,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korel View Post
Ditto everything FarNorthDallas said.

If you really want more of a rural country setting, you need to go further north, say north of McKinney. But that might put you beyond a convenient drive to where ever you might be working. Parts of Richardson I wouldn't want to be driving through in the evening but there are areas that are safe. I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice here so check back often.
What parts of Richardson aren't safe?

Old 09-28-2008, 08:45 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine29 View Post
What parts of Richardson aren't safe?
The most southern part around Spring Valley/Coit/LBJ has some people afraid due to the apartments being mostly minority. HOWEVER, tucked back behind those apartments are some great, very well kept homes on tree lined streets. So I might not drive thru one of the cruddy apartment complex parking lots at 2 am in a lowered old Caddie with gold spinners and sporting lots of cash. Otherwise, it is not a problem at all.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:54 AM

That Spring Valley and Coit area is city of Dallas.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:49 AM

438 posts, read 1,783,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
That Spring Valley and Coit area is city of Dallas.
Spring Valley is the southern border of Richardson in that area (http://www.cor.net/Police.aspx?id=4582 - broken link); the south side of SV is Dallas and the north side of SV is Richardson.

The Richardson area of SV between Coit and LBJ can be rough, although the major problem in the area IMO in reality is the 3rd-world driving style (random, unaware, and vehicles of marginal functionality). I avoid that stretch of road whenever possible, no matter how much fun it might be to drive on the SV underpass where it tunnels under 75.

My personal gauge of neighborhood crappiness is: how much visible trash and/or abondoned shopping carts are there. Tipped over shopping carts count double. People sitting on tipped over carts count treble. That area of Dallas/Richardson scores high on the crappy scale. And Mom is right; there are some lovely areas just a block or two north. And also east, just over 75.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratermus View Post
Spring Valley is the southern border of Richardson in that area (http://www.cor.net/Police.aspx?id=4582 - broken link); the south side of SV is Dallas and the north side of SV is Richardson.

The Richardson area of SV between Coit and LBJ can be rough, although the major problem in the area IMO in reality is the 3rd-world driving style (random, unaware, and vehicles of marginal functionality). I avoid that stretch of road whenever possible, no matter how much fun it might be to drive on the SV underpass where it tunnels under 75.

My personal gauge of neighborhood crappiness is: how much visible trash and/or abondoned shopping carts are there. Tipped over shopping carts count double. People sitting on tipped over carts count treble. That area of Dallas/Richardson scores high on the crappy scale. And Mom is right; there are some lovely areas just a block or two north. And also east, just over 75.
The worst part is the Dallas side, south to LBJ. That's where the crime rate is so bad and there is a sea of low income apartments. It seems like the Richardson side has more single family homeowners with associations who are really trying to maintain the neighborhoods.

I am not afraid of going into that area, however, shopping around there or driving down Spring Valley. I wouldn't want to live in that area though.

Old 09-28-2008, 03:58 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,478,444 times
We just moved to Richardson from Boston. I also have a fourth grader. In addition to what PP's have said, I strongly suggest your carefully read all about the RISD (Richardson Independent School District). The school your child will attend is specifically determined by your address, w exception of kids who test out to Magnet Schools. Be aware that just because you live in Richardson does not mean you will necessarily attend a Richardson ISD school.

Having been here for about a month and doing extensive driving, I agree with PP's that rule of thumb for Richardson in further north is better. Plano is nicer than Dallas. There's not a whole lot in Dallas that one needs to reside there, plus a few extra miles of commute in Dallas is not an issue. Choose your residence according to school.

Old 09-28-2008, 06:50 PM

Also part of Richardson ISD is in the city of Dallas. West of Coit is city of Dallas, Richardson schools. Brentfield, Bowie, Spring Creek, Northwood Hills, Prestonwood are all exemplary elementary schools in the city of Dallas - west of Coit, south of the Collin County line - and in the Richardson school district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas