Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 01:25 AM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,768,409 times

Advertisements

If the media spent as much time describing the location as you want them to do, the news would be two hours long.

Since Oak Cliff is not a city, it is anywhere where most people who live there say "I live in Oak Cliff", and this is reflected in the local news media who are simply reporting what people are saying.

No one, except you, cares what the boundaries were of a city that is no longer in existence. It's now a neighborhood and it is the people who live there, not you, who get to decide what the loose "boundaries" of this neighborhood are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 01:32 AM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,768,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
Yep I drove by the old Timber Creek apartment location a couple of days ago and wow it's just a big hole now. That's were I rented my very first apartment back in the mid 80's. That area is prime real estate and all those old complexes will be wiped out within the next couple of years.
I lived there in 1991. I drove by it today for the first time since then and I saw nothing but concrete.

I loved living there; it was like living in a city park, with the trees and the creek, and it was affordable but not ghetto. Why did those idiots rip up the nicest part of that neighborhood, leaving the ghetto apartments next door intact? It simply makes no sense.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:28 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I am wondering about the time period of this study. Many of these areas contained large numbers of apartments which have been recently torn down.
I am seeing a trend of crime in Dallas slowly shifting north from the south, ie as areas in the south are "cleaned up" as the city "cracks down" they are shifting the problem into far north Dallas near the boundaries with Carrollton, Plano, and Richardson. Do statistics bear this out or am I crazy?

Old 05-27-2009, 03:55 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Follow the aging apartments (generally).

Old 05-27-2009, 04:06 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I am seeing a trend of crime in Dallas slowly shifting north from the south, ie as areas in the south are "cleaned up" as the city "cracks down" they are shifting the problem into far north Dallas near the boundaries with Carrollton, Plano, and Richardson. Do statistics bear this out or am I crazy?
Yes, I'd say that is true just going by what one hears about via news and from just driving by and thru the areas. I grew up in Carrollton and the DQ where someone was murdered at the other night USED TO BE a very mid to higher middle income area. The apartments in that vicinity were where all of us that grew up in the area first moved out to from college instead of living at home w/ parents. The apartments along Marsh, Midway & Rosemeade were a very good area for the single crowd back then. The Kroger across from this DQ was one of the nicest in the entire metroplex when it opened. It is no longer even open and most of the shopping center is empty now. There were 1 or 2 complexes one did not want to live in back then because they were kind of "low rent" but now they pretty much have turned that way. The apartments directly behind the aforementioned DQ have always been government subsidized. This trend of lower rent apartments starts in that general vicinity and snakes its way across the area westward into Plano or rather that portion of Dallas that is in Collin County somewhat just south of 190 all the way to Coit. While the single family housing areas next to these apartments that are in the Dallas/Richardson/Plano portion have held up better the same can not be said for those in the immediate area of Carrollton.

What has happened is the residents of many public housing communities in the southern sector of Dallas were disappointed and several people involved with the DHA fought and they got housing in the northern portions. Now you have government subsidized housing in the form of apartments in these areas and it is starting to show.

I'd actually say the apartment complexes in the Richardson/Dallas vicinty around Spring Valley & Coit are probably the least likely to be as bad when it comes to crime due to a lot of heavily involved community leaders. I know our own church does several projects in this area all year long be it thru the schools in volunteering, summer camps for the kids in the area, bible studies, etc.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:12 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,179,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
Link (http://cbs11tv.com/local/Dallas.Violent.Crimes.2.925124.html - broken link)

1. Five Points: 357 violent crimes
2. Forest at Audelia: 305 violent crimes
3. Northwest Highway at Harry Hines: 286 violent crimes
4. Hatcher at 2nd: 202 violent crimes
5. Buckner at Peavy: 193 violent crimes
6. Walnut Hill at Harry Hines: 183 violent crimes
7. Skillman at Royal: 179 violent crimes
8. Cedar Springs at Wycliff: 175 violent crimes
9. Jefferson Corridor: 173 violent crimes
10. Fort Worth at Hampton: 172 violent crimes
11. Camp Wisdom at Chaucer: 167 violent crimes
12. Bennett: 159 violent crimes
13. Buckner at Bruton: 155 violent crimes
14. Maham at Spring Valley: 153 violent crimes
15. Overton at Illinois: 140 violent crimes
16. Columbia at Fitzugh: 133 violent crimes
17. Jim Miller at Loop 12: 124 violent crimes
18. MLK at MalcomX: 124 violent crimes
19. Ackard at Main: 118 violent crimes
20. Wickersham at Walnut Hill: 117 violent crimes
21. Ledbetter at Bonnieview: 107 violent crimes
22. Walton at Walker Tech: 101 violent crimes
23. Lamar at Hatcher: 97 violent crimes
24. Woodmeadow at Ferguson: 82 violent crimes
25. Kiest at Park: 80 violent crimes
26. Monfort at Spring Valley: 73 violent crimes
I lived at #13 for 25 years (got out in 2001) and worked at #26 for 13 years (got out in 2000).

I'm still alive!!

Old 05-27-2009, 08:18 PM

6,822 posts, read 14,034,515 times
You really know the city when you know were 90% of the places are located. Number 12 is the only one I could not point out on a map. I am sure I know the neighborhood but the street name does not ring a bell.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:49 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,518,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
You really know the city when you know were 90% of the places are located. Number 12 is the only one I could not point out on a map. I am sure I know the neighborhood but the street name does not ring a bell.
It's probably a reference to Bennett St. in the near East Dallas area. It is just a little east of I-75 and it merges into Fitzhugh. Don't know how far east it goes.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:26 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,012 times
probably Bennett street. I lived near Capitol and Bennett 10 years ago, and it was shady as all get-out. Belmont south of Henderson was even worse. It's a shame cause the old houses along Capitol were freakin' gorgeous.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:36 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,482,354 times
A lot of Bennett has been torn down and newer, nicer apartments are being built - including Belmont south of Henderson toward Bennett.

Bennett starts near I-75 and Fitzhugh and ends at Live Oak where it turns into Collette.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas