Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2009, 10:28 AM

33 posts, read 112,042 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am a computer programmer contemplating a move to Dallas. I have read the posts on schools but am looking for a little more info on neighborhoods with good schools, houses in the $350,000 range, commutable to somewhere that they can use a computer programmer .

I currently live in a neighborhood that has lots of kids, block parties a couple of times a year, organizes floats for parades, just celebrated Chinese New Year - you know - "neighborhoody" stuff. I am looking for that sort of neighborhood feel in the Dallas suburbs (3 kids, two cats). Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 10:56 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Get a map of the Dallas metroplex. Hang it on the wall. Get a dart and throw it at it. Just about every suburb and many of the neighborhoods in Dallas ALL do these kinds of things.

You'd be surprised at the number of things that go on in most neighborhoods. There are actually very few that DON'T do such. Your just going to need to get here to visit, drive around all of the areas and find the one that fits your families needs and feels right.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:43 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,458,265 times
Are you Chinese? Just asking because you mentioned Chinese New Year. The Chinese heavy areas typically aren't as 'outgoing' and 'neighborly' as many of the other neighborhoods. Lots of shy immigrants (Chinese and other groups) with family members having less than perfect English that primarily keep to their own groups. They are more heavily focused on academics though. If this is what you want, try North Central / North West Plano and look at the elementary school demographics, and the areas will be pretty obvious.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:49 AM

33 posts, read 112,042 times
Thanks for the thoughtful reply - didn't mean to throw you with the New Year thing. Nope, we are not Chinese, one of the school teachers in our neighborhood is married to a Chinese gentleman so she had prepared an elaborate celebration for her class which our neighborhood got to participate in. Sorry for the dangling participle for all the other teachers out there.

So, given we are not Chinese, do you have any other suggestions? I'm currently looking at the McKinney/Plano area for schools, but didn't know if the developments were friendly or not, or if some were friendlier than others....

Old 03-04-2009, 12:04 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Norman Rockwell's paintbrush would perk up at our parade:

Lakewood Parade

Also see:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...od-photos.html

Old 03-04-2009, 12:14 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,478,415 times
I have to give it to Lakewood.
The parade is awesome!!...even more so now that my bf lives on the route and I always have a place to park!!

I know of many neighborhoods like you are describing, but unfortunately they are in the city of Dallas.
A couple of others:
Munger Place has once/month (maybe more frequent) porch parties.
Forest Hills
Little Forest Hills

Old 03-04-2009, 12:46 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Of course we have another parade coming up on the 14th adjacent to Lakewood:

Greenville Avenue St. Patrick's Day Parade takes on 'Tex-Eire-Mex' flavor | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Breaking News for Dallas-Fort Worth | Dallas Morning News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/031608dnmetstpatsparade.588d00f7.html - broken link)

Old 03-04-2009, 03:21 PM

93 posts, read 396,963 times
I've always thought the Sparkman Club Estates (http://sparkmanclubestates.com/ - broken link) was a great overlooked neighborhood. Swimming pool and club right in the middle of the neighborhood, Fourth of July parade every year, lots of other events.

Lots of mid-century ranch houses in the $250,000 to $400,000 range so it's in your budget. Lot's of trees too!

I live in the Cliff but if I ever had to move to North Dallas it's the neighborhood I'd choose.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:21 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outtaheer View Post
I'm currently looking at the McKinney/Plano area for schools, but didn't know if the developments were friendly or not, or if some were friendlier than others....
Where will your job be first? Since you do not have that nailed down I would NOT want to get a place in McKinney and end up with a job out by the airport or within Downtown Dallas and surrounding area. PITA drive for sure.

Stop worrying about locations to live first and find the job. THEN when you know where the job is you can find a place to live in a neighborhood that is involved within relative close proximity and only deal w/ a 5-10 minute commute. No need to have a commute of an hour or more in the Dallas area. There are TOO MANY areas w/ good neighborhoods and good schools for that to happen.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:56 AM

161 posts, read 725,343 times
Default Socially Active Neighborhoods

When we were house hunting last year, I was looking for the same type of community, and hubby wanted a new house - we ended up in Star Creek, which is in Allen (north of Plano).

Here is just a small sample of some neighborhoods in Allen that you might like

Welcome to StarCreek in Allen, Texas

Twin Creeks | Master Planned Community | Allen, TX

montgomeryfarm.com - home

In Plano, there was one neighborhood I recall seemed very active and has a great location -

Deerfield Homeowners Association - Welcome To Deerfield!

Like momof2dfw replied, you will find great neighborhoods all over the DFW area.

I'd say "other" criteria for choosing a neighborhood is schools and commute time. Traffic here can be a nightmare, at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas