Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 11:17 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,481,036 times

Advertisements

I guess making schools more relevant so kids want to be there is out of the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 04:33 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,947,541 times
We were in Texas in May. My 9 and 6 year olds did not get "accosted", though we were out and about during school hours. We met and spoke to a couple police officers at a restaurant our first afternoon too. They were friendly, helpful and kind to my kids... come to think of it, they teased them about being out of school, my 6yo chimed in and said she was home schooled. He asked her what she was learning about and they chatted on and off over the booth throughout lunch. I didn't consider it an interrogation, but then again, we weren't breaking any laws.

Those who have nothing to hide, hide nothing!

The ACLU likes to use cases (like the one mentioned in another post) about deportation fears and illegal immigrants (who are criminals, breaking the laws of OUR country to be here) to prove an illogical point. We shouldn't pass laws that would cause criminals to get caught breaking other laws already on the books? Hmmm...

If your child, under 17, during school hours is with an adult, they will not be taken into custody. So the point here is to obey the law. Home schooled children (like mine) should be with an adult during those hours, at home or close to it. Yes, my kids ride their bikes during the day. If a cop stopped them, I would be right THERE... no court appearance necessary!

Old 06-10-2009, 07:49 AM

8 posts, read 14,854 times
Default accompanying minors

You said, "If your child, under 17, during school hours is with an adult, they will not be taken into custody. So the point here is to obey the law. Home schooled children (like mine) should be with an adult during those hours, at home or close to it. Yes, my kids ride their bikes during the day. If a cop stopped them, I would be right THERE... no court appearance necessary!"

Well, I don't agree that any child under 17 has to be accompanied by a parent all the time - or at least, all the time during school hours. Do you know that different states have different mandatory attendence ages?? For instance, in MA, the mandatory attendence ages are 6 - 16. In some states, the upper age is as low as 15.

I see my teens needing more and more independence. They need to bike to the library, grocery store, local access cable station, sports practices, by themselves. They need this practice of being independent. And I need to let them go. Demanding that I be with them disallows this. Perhaps it is because my children are older that I see this as unnecessary. Perhaps we just have different views.

At any rate, I agree with the gentleman who said we have to agree to disagree.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:35 AM

2 posts, read 3,769 times
I am glad Dallas put up this curfew. I hope it keep kids of the streets. I am tired of kids misbehaving out of boredom or no discipline. I was burglarized by some kids and if this curfew had been in affect, there is a good chance that my home and the homes of the other 17 individuals that these kids hit would not be suffering. I live in a nice area and I have the right to feel safe without having outsiders come in from surrounding areas and take that away from me! If this is what it takes to keep these kids in their homes instead of in my home then I hope its enforced strictily!!!

Old 06-19-2009, 12:25 PM

37,958 posts, read 17,900,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I think we may have to agree to disagree. Dallas has serious problems with truancy and the laws we have on the books do not seem to have helped. I do not think it would be a bad idea to try a new tactic.
He who gives up freedom for security deserves neither. How many Swastikas are you going to adorn your house with?

Old 06-20-2009, 08:03 AM

2 posts, read 3,769 times
Freedom is for those deserving of it and not for those who torment others when they have it. When you get burglarized and have your freedom taken away from you, then you can talk. Doesnt sound like you love your country if you think criminals have rights!!!! Also...you seem uneducated. Take advantage of your local colleges and get an education, it will open up your mind to what freedom really is and its not about supporting deviants....

Old 06-20-2009, 12:54 PM

37,958 posts, read 17,900,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine777 View Post
Freedom is for those deserving of it and not for those who torment others when they have it. When you get burglarized and have your freedom taken away from you, then you can talk.
Gotcha only when someone has been burglarized they can talk. idiotic statement

Children should be educated and instructed in the principles of freedom. Because some parents can't control their kids others loose their freedom?

Maybe we should figure out which age group commits the most offenses and give them a curfew instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine777 View Post
Doesnt sound like you love your country if you think criminals have rights!!!! Also...you seem uneducated. Take advantage of your local colleges and get an education, it will open up your mind to what freedom really is and its not about supporting deviants....
That's the first time I've been called uneducated by an ignorant bumpkin.
Criminals do have rights. We have a thing called due process.

Your statement is irrational. Because I do not want a curfew does not mean I support deviant behavior.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:27 PM

77 posts, read 227,935 times
Default The children....

.........prey on people in Dallas. This is why.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:28 AM

8 posts, read 14,854 times
What is being overlooked is that there are already laws on the books which should be used to inhibit children wandering the streets without direction during school hours. They're called Truancy Laws. If these were enforced, then those who should be in school would be picked up. End of problem. That is my point.

I am sure that such a blanket statement as this: "The children prey on people in Dallas." is not correct. I am sure that there are good kids out there. Those that are preying on you, should be held accountable. I totally agree with you on that. But before you give up due process, think about whether you want someone to give YOU the benefit of it if you are some day accused of a crime. Seem farfetched? It always does until it happens to you.

I am extremely sorry that you don't feel safe in your neighborhood. Can you understand that my son and I didn't feel safe either because of the Daytime Curfew Laws?? We weren't doing anything wrong, yet he was accousted. He truly was simply riding his bike - with his mom and sister - on the way to the park. How do you justify that?

Old 06-25-2009, 08:44 AM

3,822 posts, read 8,756,047 times
I listened to the debate on WRR and what it boils down to is that DISD can't seem to enforce the truancy laws. Even after adding their own Police force. So taxpayers in DISD and Dallas are now essentially paying to have the same work done twice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: