Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 03:54 PM

10 posts, read 44,405 times

Advertisements

My fiancé and I are 22 and both moving to Dallas this July. I will be working at Williamson Square in Irving and she will be working in the Deloitte tower near uptown.

We do not have children nor do we plan to while in this first home. We would like to put 20% down on a 140k-180k home. Size, condition, and age are of no importance to us (I love being a handyman and can easily afford repairs) and what we really want is a nice area (pretty, safe, short commutes). We are both in love with the Addison area, but those zero lot homes don’t appeal to me at all (no more condos or apartments either ). Buying a more expensive place in Addison wouldn’t really stretch our budget, but the houses there are already so much more expensive than the surrounding area it worries me.

I like the idea of living in the Irving neighborhoods just south of 114, but we have been told that the commute down 114 to uptown is absolutely terrible. The Valley Ranch area also has been recommended to us but that also seems like a bad commute into the middle of Dallas.

Geographically, Farmers Branch seems to be in a prime area but when I search homes over the web those neighborhoods look pretty scary (well unkempt at least). Are there some areas that would appeal to me?

Additionally, we like Richardson quite a bit (except for how far away from Las Colinas it is) and don’t really know anything of Addison. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Sorry for the long post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 04:22 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
There used to be areas of Northwest Dallas where you could find something like this - but some of those are kind of spotty now. Las Colinas also has a reputation for bad foundations (stay away from slab foundations anywhere around here).

You are to young to live out there. I would think Lower Greenville area would be perfect - but it's probably too expensive. However, I would search zips 75206 and 75214. There are some great Craftsman homes which sound perfect for you. And you will make money on your investment.

North Oak Cliff (specifically Winnetka Heights) would be good as well.

If you want an apartment or condo, look Downtown. Uptown, Turtle Creek, and Cedar Springs may be too expensive. Southside/Cedars (just south of Downtown) is an up and coming option. There will soon be a DART rail line to Las Colinas from Central Dallas.

Old 04-09-2007, 04:49 PM

well thats still going down 114 the other direction to get to Las Colinas. We have been told this is a terrible drive. Any feelings on this?

Old 04-09-2007, 05:06 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Look in Richardson around Richardson Heights and in the Lake Highlands area. Both areas are nice older homes on larger lots in more mature areas that attract young couples and young families. Still close to either commute but not too far. Even if you decided to stay here when you start a family you would still fit in. Farmers Branch, stay south of Valley View and east of Josey Lane. Even the Brookhaven Country Club area of Farmers Branch is good. The first area puts you really close to 635/LBJ but going to Las Colinas you would not HAVE to get on the highway as Valley View does go out that way. This area is older brick ranch homes on large lots w/ mature trees. Brookhaven CC is a bit newer homes than those but still much older than you'll find in other places. You'll want to stay away from the area of Farmers Branch west of Josey Lane.

Valley Ranch, eh. Some areas are part of the Carrollton-Farmers Branch ISD. Sadly there are TONS of apartments out in that area that accept government subsidies and you will find this is common out there. Really can bring down an area. If you happen to find a house you like drive around the entire area and see if there are any apartments nearby and even go so far as stopping into the office and finding out.

Old 04-09-2007, 05:07 PM

1,101 posts, read 4,328,025 times
You might try looking at the Far North Dallas area - near Tollway and Frankford (Embraer lives in that area, I believe). In your price range, you would probably need to look west of the Tollway.

That area would give you easy access to 190 (George Bush Tollway) to go to Las Colinas, and DNT to go into Uptown (I don't know how bad this commute is these days, I don't commute past 635 on a daily basis). It would also put you at the northern edge of Addison for access to the restaurants and amenities there.

Old 04-09-2007, 05:17 PM

It's very easy to get to Las Colinas from anywhere in Central Dallas by using Northwest Highway (Loop 12). You won't need to get on a freeway nor a tollway.

Old 04-09-2007, 05:18 PM

"she will be working in the Deloitte tower near uptown".

Let's not forget that, folks. I'm sure if she asks people at work, they will give her some great suggestions.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Look in Richardson around Richardson Heights and in the Lake Highlands area.
Aren't these on the "wrong" side of beltline and 75. These homes tend to be a little below our target price (which is well below our means as it is). Not to be snooty, but we don't want to be the richest people in the neighborhood

Quote:
You might try looking at the Far North Dallas area - near Tollway and Frankford (Embraer lives in that area, I believe). In your price range, you would probably need to look west of the Tollway.
We like this area as well but anything under $180k comes with a zero lot. I'll continue to look but I'd be surprised if anything pops up in the next couple months.

We are trying to find some median in between the two. A 1,400sqft 2-2 in a quality neighborhood would be fine; however these don't seem to exist.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:30 PM

If you do that you will have to use LBJ Freeway every day and night...yeah nightmare - even at nine at night. Ask anybody.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:05 PM

1,101 posts, read 4,328,025 times
Not sure if you are talking about Far North Dallas, but there would be almost no reason to use LBJ from that location. Richardson might be another story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas