Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 03:07 AM

79 posts, read 170,723 times

Advertisements

Attn: Texans, I need your advice on which area will be a good choice for an over 35 mom of two sons (ages 11 & 13), We will need a 3 bedroom, 2 bath apt. We are moving from CA and I have lived in the San Fernando Valley area of L.A. in Reseda for most of my life, then later in Gardena, and Ontario, CA (these areas are within 40 miles or less of one another). I am African American, one son is biracial (black & white) and one is Caucasion (adopted from foster care when he was 3). What should I know about these areas?, and which city is a good choice for us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 03:50 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,664,218 times
I lived the first 40 years of my life in the LA area including the Valley and Ontario. I have also been to Texas several times. You really need to take a trip to Texas before you commit to it. I am not going to say anything in favor or against it because my opinion doesn't matter. This is your life, but please don't wander blindly into the unknown.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:52 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
Have you considered Frisco? There are a ton of Californian transplants living in Frisco.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. Diva View Post
Attn: Texans, I need your advice on which area will be a good choice for an over 35 mom of two sons (ages 11 & 13), We will need a 3 bedroom, 2 bath apt. We are moving from CA and I have lived in the San Fernando Valley area of L.A. in Reseda for most of my life, then later in Gardena, and Ontario, CA (these areas are within 40 miles or less of one another). I am African American, one son is biracial (black & white) and one is Caucasion (adopted from foster care when he was 3). What should I know about these areas?, and which city is a good choice for us?
First of all I disagree with Yukiko 110%. I think you will do very well in Texas. i don't know why people get these ideas, we are not talking about some small, remote little town, where no outsiders can be welcomes, especially racially mixed families, we are talking about a huge, urban city with lots of diverity. Of the places you have mentioned I would think Garland might fit the best for you. Where will you be working? if you are going to commute to downtown another area that would be worth researching is Carrollton. They have good schools, a good mixture of life styles and lots of nice appartments.

I can pretty well tell you, the move should be a good one, except for the humidity and no InNout Burgers. We lived in Gardena for a few years, I was raised in Los Angeles, our daughter went to Cal State Northridge and we have many good friends in the Ontario area.

Nita

Old 05-31-2009, 09:35 AM

6,800 posts, read 14,018,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. Diva View Post

It really depends on your budget. Housing is more expensive in Plano but on average they have better schools. Garland has a mix of everything. Mesquite which is the city I live in is mostly a blue collar city but there are some very nice areas with good schools. The oldest and youngest couple on my street are bi-racial couples and it is pretty common around here. Giving your budget will help a great deal in narrowing down your choices. Plano will be the least diverse of the three but not to the point you would fell uncomfortable. I'm AA and I would have no problem living in any of three choices you gave.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:56 AM

1,621 posts, read 4,592,390 times
In all honesty if you are a transplant you will fit in better in Plano or Frisco. Apartments are more expensive but there will be less of a culture shock in those areas. Garland and Mesquite are more working-class suburbs with mostly native Texans, but they also have middle class and upscale neighborhoods. Plano has working class neighborhoods with Plano natives, but the residents for the most part are transplants from outside Texas.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:18 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
In all honesty if you are a transplant you will fit in better in Plano or Frisco. Apartments are more expensive but there will be less of a culture shock in those areas. Garland and Mesquite are more working-class suburbs with mostly native Texans, but they also have middle class and upscale neighborhoods. Plano has working class neighborhoods with Plano natives, but the residents for the most part are transplants from outside Texas.
I agree with some of what you say, but not all of it. Actually the reason I mentioned Carrollton was because of good school and also very racially mixed but more middle class than some areas she is considering. You are right about parts of Plano. I had 2 bosses when I worked in the Dallas area, both were black, both lived in Plano and both would be considered middle class. The problem I have with your comment relates to cultural shock; It sounds like you don't know a lot about Gardena and Ontario, if so I am not sure where the cultural shock fits it? Actually I would say the same about Reseda.

Nita

Old 05-31-2009, 01:44 PM

79 posts, read 170,723 times
Thanks to all who have responded, all of your comments have enlightened me, more comments are welcome.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:54 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,029,109 times
I also think that Carrollton would be worth considering. Like it was stated above, Carrollton is more of a middle class area than Plano or Frisco and most likely more affordable, but is still a nice area in the north Dallas burbs very close to Plano and Frisco that has pretty decent schools.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:22 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,582,008 times
If you're going to consider Carrollton, put Richardson on your list too. If you're careful, you can get pretty close to Dallas and still have good schools. I'm not sure if you specifically want an apartment, but the homes there are very reasonably priced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas