Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 01:51 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintea View Post
After the play we noticed that there were people gathering in the square, some of them brought musical instruments and were playing - not without talent! This was the highlight of the evening. There were people of all ages, they were still coming when we left. We loved watching the little old ladies who brought lawn chairs and enjoyed the music. So did we.
I forgot about that Yep, every Saturday on the square. Bring your instrument and play. No invitations and everyone is welcome.

Be ready for the Labor Day parade coming up in Garland. Every high school and organization in the city participates. Gotta get there early for a good spot too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 04:01 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,278,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post

I don't know who might make a red velvet cake, but I bet it's around. That's an oldy but goody!
I had never made one in my life, but my daughter requested it for her birthday. So from scratch, I made it, a Southern Living recipe. She absolutely loved it. The cake was just okay, but the cream cheese icing was disgusting, way too rich for me.

Fried chicken is not a southern thing. We ate it all the time when I was growing up in California and my mom made the best in the world, not greasy at all. Yummy.

I don't see how people ate big meals and then worked in the fields. After a big meal, I'm sluggish and feel lousy. Fried chicken is quite easy to make and the clean up is not a big deal. That seems funny to hear and would be defined as lazy.

Okay, I think I must go on a fried chicken eating binge with mashed potatoes and gravy. I will go to the market tomorrow and buy the ingredients for the home-fried fried chicken. Yum. I'm bad, so bad.

Last edited by Canine*Castle; 07-12-2009 at 04:10 PM..

Old 07-12-2009, 04:24 PM

303 posts, read 1,012,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I forgot about that Yep, every Saturday on the square. Bring your instrument and play. No invitations and everyone is welcome.

Be ready for the Labor Day parade coming up in Garland. Every high school and organization in the city participates. Gotta get there early for a good spot too.
It was impossible to miss, they were right there when we came out! Is this every Saturday in the summer?

You're right about the way people used to eat and the fact that they did actual physical work. Nowadays we can't get away with eating that kind of food all the time. But we should indulge every now and then!

Old 07-12-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
It was impossible to miss, they were right there when we came out! Is this every Saturday in the summer?

You're right about the way people used to eat and the fact that they did actual physical work. Nowadays we can't get away with eating that kind of food all the time. But we should indulge every now and then!
Do keep in mind some people very religiously work out on a daily basis and keep all the junk they do eat from showing. Actually though, it can still be found "hidden" within the body and one day, those arteries just may close up.

Unfortunately, I am not one who works out every day, but I do walk each day. I give credit to those who faithfully exercise.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:17 PM

I know what you mean, but in my opinion people who work the land are more like olympic athletes. Half an hour a day of whatever workout is just not the same.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:23 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I had never made one in my life, but my daughter requested it for her birthday. So from scratch, I made it, a Southern Living recipe. She absolutely loved it. The cake was just okay, but the cream cheese icing was disgusting, way too rich for me.

I don't see how people ate big meals and then worked in the fields. After a big meal, I'm sluggish and feel lousy. Fried chicken is quite easy to make and the clean up is not a big deal. That seems funny to hear and would be defined as lazy.

Cream Cheese Icing on a Red Velvet Cake is just WRONG!!!! It just doesn't work at all. YUCK! A good homemade RVC does NOT use that icing at all. The good ole icing we are accostumed to actually has shortening in it but it is soooooo much better and fluffy.

People back then did not eat that BIG MEAL for lunch. They ate a hearty breakfast bright and early then went to the fields to work all day long. Then when the day was done they had a good meal of mostly whatever they grew on the farm/ranch be it vegetables fresh or canned (their own canning) and their own slaughter. That way they got a good nights rest after replinishing their bodies from everything it worked off all day long.

Um, going out to eat fried chicken instead of cooking it yourself is not "lazy". When your only cooking for 1-4 people it actually sometimes make sense. My own mother and mother-in-law both got to the point it was just easier to go get it than fix it because of the mess. It stinks up the house as well. Even though it can be fixed not too greasy it still leaves that grease smell of anything fried. I'd never call anyone lazy for that

Quote:

I have not even thought about it honestly. I don't know why I had not. I do believe it is every Saturday night thru the summer at least and maybe even more.

Working out and physical work is a habit. You just have to get used to it. Our forefathers worked their tails off from BEFORE sunrise till after the sun went down and sometimes all night long depending on what came up. It wasn't an easy life. They could get away with it because of that lifestyle a bit more than people nowadays w/ desk jobs.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Cream Cheese Icing on a Red Velvet Cake is just WRONG!!!! It just doesn't work at all. YUCK! A good homemade RVC does NOT use that icing at all. The good ole icing we are accostumed to actually has shortening in it but it is soooooo much better and fluffy.

People back then did not eat that BIG MEAL for lunch. They ate a hearty breakfast bright and early then went to the fields to work all day long. Then when the day was done they had a good meal of mostly whatever they grew on the farm/ranch be it vegetables fresh or canned (their own canning) and their own slaughter. That way they got a good nights rest after replinishing their bodies from everything it worked off all day long.

Um, going out to eat fried chicken instead of cooking it yourself is not "lazy". When your only cooking for 1-4 people it actually sometimes make sense. My own mother and mother-in-law both got to the point it was just easier to go get it than fix it because of the mess. It stinks up the house as well. Even though it can be fixed not too greasy it still leaves that grease smell of anything fried. I'd never call anyone lazy for that

I have not even thought about it honestly. I don't know why I had not. I do believe it is every Saturday night thru the summer at least and maybe even more.

Working out and physical work is a habit. You just have to get used to it. Our forefathers worked their tails off from BEFORE sunrise till after the sun went down and sometimes all night long depending on what came up. It wasn't an easy life. They could get away with it because of that lifestyle a bit more than people nowadays w/ desk jobs.
It really was wrong to me, that cream cheese frosting, but I thought SOUTHERN LIVING would know. That truly surprises me. I think I would have liked even the cake if the icing had been good. Really though, it's kind of a not-so-tasty cake to me. Give me all-the-way chocolate any day, made from scratch, of course. I was actually shocked my daughter chose such a cake, the first time in 36 years. Strange.

Yes, I wasn't thinking about the way people worked in the fields. That's far better exercise than what most people get nowadays. I didn't realize they ate so healthy back then though minus the fruits and veggies. I always thought they ate lots of red meat (and others) which is not good, lots of butter, eggs, grease, et al which makes for the clogging of arteries EVEN with the physical labor. Some of my family in CA ate that way and worked in the fields. Heck, they lived to be old though, but high cholesterol doesn't run in my family anyway or I'd be dead by now with the way I eat ice cream. Disgusting! Oh well, whatever they did, I'm sure they got along just fine.

Most cooking smells up the house. I'm sorry I used the word lazy loosely. I just know so many people who will go out to eat because they are just that...lazy, and they'll admit it. My brother-in-law's mom used to have us all over for dinner and cook fried chicken. There were usually over 25 people there. She did this every Sunday year after year. Now I know I wouldn't do that. She just loved doing it, one of those "bless your heart" Texas ladies. The highest number I ever cooked fried chicken for was about a dozen. That was plenty and I surely didn't do it every week.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:46 PM

There are those who believe that eggs and grease are not necessarily bad for you. I believe there was a recent study that came to the conclusion that butter is worse than animal fat.
Personally I believe moderation is key and you have to have a good mix of everything.
How did we ever get to nutrition?

Old 07-12-2009, 07:59 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
There are those who believe that eggs and grease are not necessarily bad for you. I believe there was a recent study that came to the conclusion that butter is worse than animal fat.
Personally I believe moderation is key and you have to have a good mix of everything.
How did we ever get to nutrition?
LOL! What to do in Garland= Red Velvet Cake, fried chicken, animal fat, how our ancestors ate, etc... . You don't see the connection?

Old 07-12-2009, 09:51 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,748,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Oh I use the SL recipe for mine. I've also done it with the peppermint cream cheese frosting they had a few years back which is a nice twist but also very rich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas