Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2011, 05:16 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,466,359 times

Advertisements

I turned my AC to the normal 74 degrees when I got home. Im not conserving anything. My power bill is never over $100 anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 07:08 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
I turned my AC to the normal 74 degrees when I got home. Im not conserving anything. My power bill is never over $100 anyway.
This has nothing to do with how much you pay per kilowatt hour, it has to do with how much power you are consuming. They are asking us to conserve not to save money, but because they may not be able to generate enough electricity to keep up with demand...due in large part to people who think like you do.

I'll know who to blame now if the power goes out.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
This has nothing to do with how much you pay per kilowatt hour, it has to do with how much power you are consuming. They are asking us to conserve not to save money, but because they may not be able to generate enough electricity to keep up with demand...due in large part to people who think like you do.

The fact that I pay less than $100 a month means I dont use much power even when keeping my place really cold. if my power goes out Im going to a friends or a hotel. I have the right to buy as much power as I want.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:17 PM

6,697 posts, read 9,952,165 times
It's so hot! The AC is at 60 degrees LOL

Old 08-02-2011, 08:21 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,057,362 times
Quote:
I have the right to buy as much power as I want.
Not if it isn't available to buy, which is the reason for the rolling blackouts. You think they're doing it because they don't want to sell electricity?

Old 08-02-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
Not if it isn't available to buy, which is the reason for the rolling blackouts. You think they're doing it because they don't want to sell electricity?
DING DING DING!

This.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:39 PM

1,004 posts, read 3,755,771 times
Quote:
I hope it's the energy providers who didn't invest enough to supply enough power so that people in a developed nation like the USA can live a comfortable life.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galore View Post
I hope it's the energy providers who didn't invest enough to supply enough power so that people in a developed nation like the USA can live a comfortable life.
Let's worry about what we can do something about today...like moderating our own usage.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Let's worry about what we can do something about today...like moderating our own usage.
Maybe they should make some more power because there is a demand. When ever it gets too cold or too hot the same thing happens. how about they prepare for it and get more power made. its not my fault they suck at their job.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:39 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,435,746 times
Quote:
Maybe they should make some more power because there is a demand. When ever it gets too cold or too hot the same thing happens. how about they prepare for it and get more power made.
How? We can't afford to burn natural gas or coal for it with the air quality in the area as bad as it is already. Forget debates about greenhouse gasses, we just have air so polluted in North Texas that many people with any breathing problems, even simply asthma have terrible problems some days just getting out to run errands.
everybody - pointlessly - freaks out whenever nuclear power is discussed- although when maintained safely with educated workers (Not Chernobyl) and not built in a hurricane path (Japan) it is much cleaner or safer than anything else.
That is other than renewable sources of power, which can't get us anything like what we need.
Add to that the fact that so much of the system we have simply cannot carry any additional power. And the money to rewire the electrical grid comes from...?
I guess a tripling of electricity rates, but I don't see that going over very well.
Demand outstripped ANY predictions. No one when many of these systems were installed could have foreseen both the growth, and the increased demands of bigger homes, and additional appliances (everyone having dishwashers, computers, multiple tv's etc). I men it literally was not possible to foresee it. No one could predict every electronic device invented or adopted by the American consumer in the last - say 25 to 30 years. Predictions were off and we have been playing catch up ever since.
We will get there eventually. In one of the hottest, worst summers in recent memory we are just now talking about rolling blackouts in August. This suggests power management is improving, but the mere fact that you -and I, and everyone else - want more power available doesn't cause the real technical and economic impossibilities precluding it to vanish. A shame, but true nevertheless.

that said, these are general comment on why power reductions are necessary, and it really is no one's fault - nice as it would be to have someone to blame. Obviously if your electricity bill is $100 in the summer than you aren't one of the people who uses power profligately anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas