Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 11:26 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,478,444 times

Advertisements

Well I don't know how they do it, but our apartment complex is virtually bug free. We don't have roaches, mosquitoes or any of those nasties. I'm very impressed about this. And actually, i've had virtually no problems with them in any of the parks I take my kids to either (mainly Heights and Huffines in Richardson). My feeling is if you stay in a good hotel, you won't see any there either.

Hmm? I don't get it. I've been sitting out on my patio every night for a year now without any repellent. Where are the bugs?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 02:53 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
Well I don't know how they do it, but our apartment complex is virtually bug free. We don't have roaches, mosquitoes or any of those nasties. I'm very impressed about this. And actually, i've had virtually no problems with them in any of the parks I take my kids to either (mainly Heights and Huffines in Richardson). My feeling is if you stay in a good hotel, you won't see any there either.

Hmm? I don't get it. I've been sitting out on my patio every night for a year now without any repellent. Where are the bugs?!
They are all at my place. (My house is near Heights Park in Richardson.)

Old 07-24-2009, 09:18 PM

587 posts, read 1,625,556 times
We moved into a nice house in Lewisville about 12 years ago and within a couple of weeks saw 2 dead scorpions - I think our cats killed them. Worried me because we had a new baby in the house. When I mentioned it to one of the neighbors they said "Yeah, the people who lived there before you had a REAL PROBLEM with scorpions"!!! Wow. I asked around and was told that the scorpions in the Dallas area aren't really a danger - their sting is like a bee sting (at least that's what I was told!). We got the bug people out and started a regular preventative but maintenance program and never saw another one - Thank Goodness! Moved to Flower Mound a couple of years later and have been here 10 years and have had no problems at all - though we still have a service that sprays every 3 months. I wouldn't try to go without it. I've never seen a cockroach in either home.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:12 PM

445 posts, read 1,810,424 times
I know, we do the regular service here, and it is a god send....

I know scorpions come around and eat other bugs, and if you spray to get rid of the other bugs, they usually go away as well...I hate those things they are ugly and disgusting, they are just a useless gross thing!!

Old 07-26-2009, 06:33 PM

424 posts, read 1,817,373 times
Tip: For anyone that has a scorpion problem and is getting scorpions in between pest control visits...

Sprinkle borax around the perimeter of your house...by doors especially. The borax does something to dissolve their body. That was told to me by a co-worker who has his pest control license and does it on the side.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:29 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravenClan View Post
What kind of bugs or things should I expect on our visit??

I hear it is humid, we are not used to that here (southern California) Also we really do not have many bugs to be worried about or that bother us...

Thanks

Christina
It's chrigger season!!!! Get ready for that never ending itching around you exposed ankles LOL

Old 07-27-2009, 11:04 AM

What is a chigger and can i see them?? Why around the ankles??

I am gettin' a lil' nervous now!! haha

Old 07-27-2009, 12:52 PM

587 posts, read 1,625,556 times
been here almost 20 years and never bitten by a chigger - don't even know what it is!

Old 07-27-2009, 01:59 PM

Ok, i looked them up on google, they are a super tiny bug, from the tick family, that bites you and makes you itch.

They supposedly only bother you if you are camping, fishing, being outdoorsy, so i think i maybe safe....

They say to use OFF..so i will get some before i head to Texas....

Old 07-27-2009, 04:10 PM

83 posts, read 211,038 times
There is an easy way to get rid of cockroaches. Get some powdered boric acid, mix it with icing sugar or ground up table sugar, then put some where you think they are entering your house or apartment. They will disappear pretty darned fast after bringing some back to their nesting area. The boric acid dries them out completely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas