Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 07:09 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,417,653 times

Advertisements

Is this how all isd's operate? Seems highly unfavorable t new residents who buy in an area for a school path. Why not build in room to handle summer move ins?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 07:56 AM

161 posts, read 260,424 times
Part of it comes into the how RISD views the most efficient allocation of funds across the district. I can't speak for how other ISDs operate that are in a similar situation.

Some of the RISD elementary schools are adding on or will have plans to when the next bond package is put up for vote. The projections from a 5-10 year standpoint show even the high schools will have overflow or almost reached full capacity.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:12 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Is this how all isd's operate? Seems highly unfavorable t new residents who buy in an area for a school path. Why not build in room to handle summer move ins?
Why should we the taxpayers take a hit for that? Build in room to handle summer move-ins? That's insane. Do you know how many elementary schools, junior highs, high schools, and even a handful of magnet programs and "alternative" schools there are in RISD? AND how many classrooms and how many teachers they'd have to juggle in order to "handle" summer move-ins? It's not nearly as simple as you make it out to be.

Plus, what if these "summer move-ins" are no-shows? What if they enroll their kids in private school? What if there aren't nearly as many as anticipated? You're basically asking the school district to not only be experts in educating children, but also able to predict the ebbs and flows of the local real estate market. Um...NO.

If you don't like it, write the school board to gripe about them doing their level best to keep class sizes small (like most parents seem to want) or better yet, write your state representative and state senator. They're the ones who can maybe do something about mandatory classroom sizes. And thanks to our low tax, low service system the lege won't be in session again until January 2017. That'll give you plenty of time to polish up your proposal.

I mean, really. If they request TEA waivers, parents complain bitterly about "overcrowded" classrooms. If they don't, parents complain bitterly about the school district not having a crystal ball and "building in room" for people who might...MIGHT...move to Richardson after open enrollment ends.

Can't win, don't try.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:55 AM

204 posts, read 579,106 times
So basically I need to be under contract in March. Ugh. We weren't planning on putting our house on the market here until March! Crap.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:17 AM

People who move in pay taxes too but can't rely on getting the school they are zoned to? Sounds like a planning problem to me.not enough capacity in some schools but too much in others here they get transferred. People have choices this approach would make Richardson drop down the desire able locations for summer transfers in. Most corps will transfer this time of year when school won't be missed..

Why let this imbalance of capacity go on and on when some professsional planning an mitigate it?

Old 07-28-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apa1128 View Post
So basically I need to be under contract in March. Ugh. We weren't planning on putting our house on the market here until March! Crap.
To have a spot in the neighborhood school without any concerns, yes there needs to be a contract with the new address in that zone prior to the enrollment date. Is it possible to get into the school after the enrollment date begins? Yes, but the longer you wait to enroll the higher odds you play. Another option is to find a short term lease but in Brentfield that probably won't be an option.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
People who move in pay taxes too but can't rely on getting the school they are zoned to? Sounds like a planning problem to me.not enough capacity in some schools but too much in others here they get transferred. People have choices this approach would make Richardson drop down the desire able locations for summer transfers in. Most corps will transfer this time of year when school won't be missed..

Why let this imbalance of capacity go on and on when some professsional planning an mitigate it?
Why are you asking me? I don't work for RISD. I just pay buttloads of taxes to it, just like everyone else who pays RISD taxes whether we have children or not (I don't).

It's not their planning problem; it's yours.

Personally, I don't really care if Richardson becomes less desirable for corporate relos. That'll keep my taxes from going up so fast.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:

From my understanding, RISD would usually consider adding another teacher if there are enough move in's after the enrollment date and it would put a classroom close to 90% capacity for that grade level. However, fiscal consideration for hiring another teacher for each campus for an extra 6-10 students x each grade level versus sending a few students to an overflow campus for one semester/year.

I understand your point and agree it is a concern, but there are a lot of moving parts that come into the fiscal side of it.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Why are you asking me? I don't work for RISD. I just pay buttloads of taxes to it, just like everyone else who pays RISD taxes whether we have children or not (I don't).

It's not their planning problem; it's yours.

Personally, I don't really care if Richardson becomes less desirable for corporate relos. That'll keep my taxes from going up so fast.
You assumed the only solution is more taxes. Better planning is a solution too.

If you don't care how Richardson isd treats new taxpayers it's not my problem.

I don't agree corporation relocations drive up property taxes as you assume.

If you don't want Richardson to be attractive to new residents you sure pump a lot of air cheering it on.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickbear View Post
From my understanding, RISD would usually consider adding another teacher if there are enough move in's after the enrollment date and it would put a classroom close to 90% capacity for that grade level. However, fiscal consideration for hiring another teacher for each campus for an extra 6-10 students x each grade level versus sending a few students to an overflow campus for one semester/year.

I understand your point and agree it is a concern, but there are a lot of moving parts that come into the fiscal side of it.
Indeed...thanks for a more reasoned and sensible response than mine was.

I'm still kind of stunned that someone thinks that the school should apply for waivers or hire an extra teacher simply because they moved somewhere less than a month before the start of the new school year.

I guess RISD should have known he was coming?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas