Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 12:50 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
You assumed the only solution is more taxes. Better planning is a solution too.

If you don't care how Richardson isd treats new taxpayers it's not my problem.

If you don't want Richardson to be attractive to new residents you sure pump a lot of air cheering it on.
I don't actually cheer it on that much. I suggest it when I think it's a good fit.

However, timing a move to minimize disruption to a child's school career is the PARENTS' responsibility. Not the taxpayers', and not the school district's. It's on YOU.

If you're thinking of moving to town X, figuring out what its school enrollment policies are should be part of your research, not an afterthought based on faulty assumptions.

It's on you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 12:57 PM

764 posts, read 1,657,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apa1128 View Post
I am confused. So if we move to Dallas next summer, and we're in the Brentfield boundary, we may not have a spot? I'll have a 1st and 6th grader. If someone could help explain the process, I'd really appreciate it.
I know a lot of schools take some time off in the summer, but have you tried Calling Brentfield ES (I assume you are from out of town and can't make a personal visit). For our moves (3 in the past 7 yrs), I've always called or emailed the elementary to ask (among other questions):

1. Do kids get transferred INTO this school?
2. When are those transfers selected/confirmed - June/August?
3. If I'm within the district boundaries and enroll in September/October is there a chance my kids will not be able to attend their assigned school for that school year? Will the ISD still bus my children to school?

When I'm making a house hunting trip, I usually schedule time for visiting several schools (even in the summer). Ask the tour guide (i.e., volunteer parent) about "things to do", neighborhood events, sports leagues, summer camp programs, etc.

Instead of calling you could also send an email with your questions.

Browser Not Supported

Old 07-28-2015, 01:32 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,417,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I don't actually cheer it on that much. I suggest it when I think it's a good fit.

However, timing a move to minimize disruption to a child's school career is the PARENTS' responsibility. Not the taxpayers', and not the school district's. It's on YOU.

If you're thinking of moving to town X, figuring out what its school enrollment policies are should be part of your research, not an afterthought based on faulty assumptions.

It's on you.
i agree individuals are responsible not the system. I like efficiency however even in gov.

Old 07-28-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
i agree individuals are responsible not the system. I like efficiency however even in gov.
Does the RISD really qualify as "government," though? It's not like the city runs the schools. Hence the "I" in RISD.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:32 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,417,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Does the RISD really qualify as "government," though? It's not like the city runs the schools. Hence the "I" in RISD.
Point well taken, I like schools to be efficiently run too.

If kids are frequently forced to attend schools not zoned to that can't be good for the family or the schools.

If it happens randomly year to year planning may not help unless the district is cutting it too close to the max class size in highly desired schools. Probably best for the district it school utilization is max at the best schools.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Point well taken, I like schools to be efficiently run too.

If kids are frequently forced to attend schools not zoned to that can't be good for the family or the schools.

If it happens randomly year to year planning may not help unless the district is cutting it too close to the max class size in highly desired schools. Probably best for the district it school utilization is max at the best schools.
There are plenty of vocal parents in RISD-centric and Richardson neighborhood-centric Facebook groups; I think those would be more appropriate places to discuss issues like this. I can't really speak about RISD policies as I've never been a part of that school district in any way: as a student, employee, staff member, or parent of a student. All I do is pay taxes to it, and obviously have opinions about how my tax money should be spent...but I have a real 'black box' view of the whole thing as a complete outsider.

People in those groups may be able to help you direct your comments and suggestions to someone who may actually be able to do something about it. Here, you're just venting your spleen.

JMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas